[Build Log] K-4398

K-4398 Update - Remapping via VIA
VIA is an application / program that lets users remap keys, toggle between layouts, add macros, and control lighting for supported QMK-compatible keyboards.

• VIA has a simple GUI and is intuitive to use for anyone that isn’t familiar with (or is daunted by) QMK MSYS, QMK Toolbox, and the process of flashing a keyboard.
  • Any edits made in VIA will be immediately applied to the keyboard in use.
  • As a tradeoff, VIA’s capabilities aren’t as extensive, compared to customizing keymaps with QMK. For instance (IIRC), VIA is limited to 9 layers, while QMK will work with up to 16.
  • Not all QMK-compatible keyboards are supported by VIA. Supported keyboards are listed on VIA’s site (Supported Keyboards).
  • For layout .JSON files, VIA’s .JSON files are not compatible with QMK Configurator’s .JSON files, and vice versa.
  • Keymap .JSON files may be compatible between VIA and QMK Configurator – with some manual editing – but I haven’t tested this theory.

VIA Website: https://www.caniusevia.com/

VIA Tutorial / Step-by-Step

1. Download and install VIA from the-via/releases.
  2. Launch VIA (VIA.exe).
    • Default file directory is C:\Users\...\AppData\Local\Programs\via.
  3. Import the keyboard’s .JSON layout file via File > Import Keymap.
  4. Start remapping keys to your liking. Changes are applied immediately.
    • MO(1): Toggles between layers.
  5. Simply exit VIA when finished, no saving necessary.
  • Save + Load: Options here will save and load .JSON keymap files specifically for the current layout. Attempting to File > Import Keymap .JSON keymap files will not work.
    1. Import the keyboard’s .JSON layout file via File > Import Keymap.
    2. Load the keyboard’s .JSON keymap file via the Save + Load tab.

Remapping K-4398
Initially, I couldn’t find the 4398 Keyboard’s QMK files / VIA files. It was clearly advertised as QMK / VIA compatible, but curiously wasn’t listed on either QMK Firmware’s All Supported Keyboards or VIA’s Supported Keyboards lists.

So I asked for help in qwertypop’s Discord server, aaand…
I GOT THE GOODS.

Very thankful for qwertypop’s responsive team!
The alternative was to install AutoHotkey but I really didn’t want to have that running in the background all the time.

4398 Keyboard - Default Keymap (Layer 0)
A pretty conventional layout, with some problematic placements in the top-right.
Why is Delete and Home up there.
Scroll Lock and Pause are useless, please.
Excuse me, where is my End key?

K-4398 - Edited Keymap (Layer 0)
Much more to my liking and use case.
Customization is such a blessing.

4398 Keyboard - Default Keymap (Layer 1)
Nothing immediately offensive on this layer, so I’ll leave it be.
Psych, made some slight edits to Layer 1.

K-4398 - Edited Keymap (Layer 1)
Honestly I don’t use Insert, Pg Up, or Pg Dn often, but sometimes games (looking at you, Dragon’s Dogma) insist on using these keybinds. :tired_face:

4 Likes