[Build Planning] Okashī

Okashī Update - Preliminary Build
I would like to note that I do not usually move on large purchases (i.e. $500+) this quickly, especially if the items aren’t limited time / limited quantity stock.

The original plan was to ruminate on parts until Saturday, when I was planning take a trip to the local Micro Center. Plans were dashed when Manager-san asked me to work this weekend. I looked up MC’s busy hours, and Saturday evening is considerably more populated compared to any time during the weekday, so I made the trip this evening instead.

Too impatient to wait around for the following weekend, and too adverse to crowds to stand those long waiting lines. Also, now that masks aren’t as strongly encouraged, people seem dreadfully lax about giving others six feet of space.

Long preamble aside…

Assembled a messy hodge-podge of parts, mainly to check for POST and MemTest86:

Component Selection Inventory
CPU AMD Ryzen 5 5600G New Purchase
CPU Cooler AMD Wraith Spire Holdover
Motherboard ASRock B550 Phantom Gaming-ITX/ax New Purchase
Graphics Card - -
Memory G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) DDR4-3200 New Purchase
Storage - -
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 650 GA Holdover
Case - -
Keyboard Den’s NIU Mini :denmode:
Monitor Acer V203W bd 20" Holdover

Preliminary Build - Hardware
Everything fits on a 14" × 17" space, with room to spare. :joy:

Preliminary Build - Assembled + Powered
Only the 24-Pin ATX cable and the 8-Pin EPS cable are attached.
Spent a good minute staring at it, trying to figure out if I was missing anything else.
This is so weird. But it works?!

ASRock Phantom Gaming BIOS - Successful POST
Longest 60 secs of my liiiiiiiiiife.

Motherboard is rocking the latest BIOS (Version L2.61), 'cos I had the MC people update it for me for a smol fee. Wasn’t sure what version it was out of the box, and it needs to be at least Version 2.00 for me to use it with Cezanne processors (e.g. Ryzen 5 5600G).
Like I said, impatient. :weary:

MemTest86 - Running (2 DIMM, XMP Enabled)
MemTest86 is going to be a thing for any new RAM I use from now on.
The freaking Newegg-TEAMGROUP episode scarred me for life.

Guh, it’s past my usual bedtime and I need to take shower and cuddle with my plushies.
Gonna let MemTest86 run overnight, and hopefully I wake up to good news. :crossed_fingers:

Next Day

MemTest86 - PASS
Took longer than I expected (almost 12 hrs?), but the RAM passed with no errors! :pepesaber:
Now to wait for the rest of the parts, then I can start building.

1 Like