#KeebWeebClub! ⌨

NIZ Plum Electro-Capacitive Keyboards on Drop!

• Atom 66 ($92 from Drop): Compact Form Factor. 35g Rubber Domes. Compatible with MX-Stem Keycaps.
  • Plum 87 for ($90 from Drop): TKL Form Factor. 35g Rubber Domes. Compatible with MX-Stem Keycaps.

NIZ Plum keebs usually run for $100+. Comparatively, the Atom 66 is listed for $149+, while the Plum 87 goes for $165+.

And if 35g is too light for your fingers, Deskeys and Keyclack sell BKE Rubber Domes:

Pssst. 'Chew recommends the EXTREME ones. :eyes:

Also.
Deskeys released some DES-Sliders that’re compatible with MX-stem keycaps!

Hopefully they’re leagues better than JTK Sliders and KBDfans’ Topre-to-MX Adapters (discontinued)?

If they made a set of sliders that included the stabilizers, I’d jump on it immediate-like. :eyes::sweat_drops:

5 Likes

YOOOOOOOOOO! At this point anything is better than the 1 degree slant the KBDs have. Def. can’t wait to see reviews.

3 Likes

I am at my friend’s house.
This Thinkpad is my friend dad old work laptop.

A Lenovo x230, the keyboard is bring nostalgia of my old school Chromebook 11e 3rd gen.
the typing experience is a sort of heavy start with a nice reset and a sound that is definitely Thinkpad.

2 Likes

LUGOO Memphis Keycap Set
Drop Link: LUGOO Dye-Subbed PBT Memphis Keycap Set

Interesting keyset.

• I like that rather than following the default, conventional sans serif font that every other keycap set uses, they’re going with individually-designed characters.
  • Though, the entire keycap set looks rather chaotic overall and the inconsistent colors, fonts, font / icon sizes, typography, and outline thicknesses is enough to put me off.
  • In the layout diagram (final pic), I can’t tell whether there is no ISO Enter, or if there is an ISO Enter and its general design looks like that, but they forgot to add proper 3D details to it.
4 Likes

For those that might care, they seem to be doing a giveaway of this set over at /r/mk. Giveaway is supposed to end in 3 days as of the making of that Reddit post (so currently a little under 3 days until closure).
https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/pj1fw5/lugoo_memphis_keycap_set_giveaway/

3 Likes

Addendum:
Giveaway is hosted by KeebMonkey.
Same folks that did the $25 Bluetooth Keeb giveaway. :eyes:

Hm.
I’ll keep my trap sealed 'cos I haven’t heard anything definitively disparaging about KeebMonkey, though their site and marketing strategy (r/mechanicalkeyboard giveaways every week?) raises a couple’a flags.

4 Likes

It seems a bit… let’s call it desperate in my eyes.
On the other hand though, it costs them the price equivalent of one keycap set/keyboard/keyswitch set/deskpad/etc. + shipping to get thousands of eyes on their products/store, so potentially a whole bunch of new shoppers. Seems like the cheapest type of marketing, with the mechanical keyboard niche community being so tightly integrated with the /r/mk subreddit.

But yeah it almost seems like guerilla marketing.

3 Likes

As of today, it’s all a limited edition.

With the Heavy Grails shipping soon, I feel like I’ve now tackled all the interesting problems in the world of Topre, so it’s time to drop the mic and move on before things become tedious. As of the end of this year, I will no longer be producing Topre housings.

Thus what I currently have for sale is pretty much all that there is or ever shall be.

Norbauer is closing up shop for good on normal runs! :tired_face:

3 Likes

In related news…

Ouch. My wallet hurts.

3 Likes

MGK64 Update - Smooth Criminal
I tried thinking of a clever title but my brain kinda be lethargic today. :derpdorp:

MGK64 + Durock Lavender Linears
…I got these back in mid-June, from Den.
I’M SORRY I TOOK THIS LONG. I HAVE NO EXCUSES. :sob:

MGK64 + Gentleman Blank XDA Keycaps
$26.90 from KPrepublic (Aliexpress). Received them early-September.
KPrepublic’s email marketing worked, heh.

Lavender Linears + Gentleman Keycaps = Smooth Criminal.
Or something.

MGK64 - Durock Lavender Switches + XDA Keycaps (Fast)

MGK64 - Durock Lavender Switches + XDA Keycaps (Slow)

65g?

Toooooooooo light. The switches are waaay too light for my tastes.
It’s so light, it’s a little bit fatiguing to type on?! :rofl:
(This is a 'Chew thing – I’m fairly certain 65g won’t be an issue for other people.)

Other than its almost featherlight weight (to my fingers), the Lavenders are a’ight. No need for any filming, IMO. Perhaps could use some lube (re-lubing?). Definitely needs a spring swap, if I’d even consider daily driving these. :sweat_smile:

The transparent housing works very well with RGB. :partyparrot:

Hm. Though, for $0.70-ish per switch, unless the colorway is particularly attractive to someone’s tastes, I’d maaaybe suggest picking Tangies or Gateron Inks over the Lavenders.

As they are currently, I like 'em well enough. They’re just, visually distinct, but fairly mundane / decently “safe” in feel.

The Blank XDA keycaps, I think, uh, I ordered them intending to use them with the NIU40. :thinking:
…That I also received a lifetime ago and haven’t played around with yet. :dedbodi:
But hey! Finally some color in my keyboards, lol.

Very happy that I bought the black Tofu60 case. Matte black on matte black is always so satisfying. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Now, it’d be really great if someone, somewhere, decided to make some blank black, OEM / XDA / non-Cherry profile, PBT keycaps with lime green modifiers. I’d totally buy it in a heartbeat.

3 Likes

’Chew’s Switches!
FINALLY GOT RID OF THE ZIPLOC BAGS. :tired_face:
Most of them, anyway.

Switch Inventory (Top to Bottom, Left to Right)

Linear Column 1

• Springs Box
    • Gateron Ink Black Springs
    • Gateron Silent Ink Black Springs
    • Gold-Plated Springs (150g)
    • Two-Stage Long Springs (150g)
  • Modded Silent L7 (TS-150g) Switches
    • + Durock L7 Springs
    • + Durock L7 Stems
    • + Gazzew Silent Linear Stems
  • Modded Silent Ink Black (150g) Switches
  • Modded Ink Black (150g) Switches
    • + Gateron Ink Black Switches
    • + Mangled Modded Ink Black (150g) Switches

Linear Column 2

• Durock Lavender Switches
  • Modded BOX Light Gray Switches
    • + Kailh BOX Ancient Gray Switches
  • Modded BOX Heavy Black Switches

Tactile Column

• Zealio V2 Switches
  • Halo Clear Switches
  • Modded Hako Royal Clear Switches

Clicky Column

• Kailh BOX Navy Switches
  • Kailh BOX Jade Switches
  • Kailh BOX Glazed Green Switches
  • Kailh Speed Gold Switches

Boxes are these 16-oz Plastic Containers I nabbed off Amazon.

5 Likes

Retro Apple Font Keycap Set (Aliexpress from KPrepublic)

• Dye-Subbed PBT
  • DSA Profile
  • Hiragana (Sub?) Legends

Neato clean keycap set that caught me eye. :eyes:

For folks that are interested, try using code 503KRKB3J4T1 (Aliexpress) during checkout.

Will probably hold off on keeb purchases for a while. Currently possessed by a weeb mood swing, kek.
Also, GMK this, new switch that, deskmat the other thing – nothing’s really caught my eye. Tch. ¯_( ᓀ 3 ᓂ)_/¯

5 Likes

Scrolling thru Amazon for anything interesting and touchscreen keebs caught m’ eye. :eyes:

Logitech TK820

Low profile, claustrophobic laptop-like layout, and oddly-shaped, slim (read: fragile?) frame – but!
A hybrid drawing tablet + TKL keeb seems like an interesting concept.

Like, stylus + large drawing pad, not an Apple Touch Bar or awkwardly placed screen like the FICIHP Multifunctional Keyboard.
I imagine trying to fine-tune the touchscreen sensitivity + tracking would be a bit trying, tho.

Currently trending in custom keebs are rotary encoders, QMK compatibility, and hot-swappability. Mini OLED screens pop up every now and then, dunno if they’ll gain any traction – a bit lacking on the pragmatic use / interactive front, methinks?

Otherwise, haven’t really seen anything particularly innovative. Tho, I also don’t check DIY circles.

(By DIY, I mean keebs like the mini_cardboard and eLiXiVy – starting / designing from the PCB upwards.)

6 Likes

Aura Mech - PSA / Cautionary Tale
Didn’t feel this topic was current / newsworthy enough for https://keebvendorlist.com/ (Vendors List Thread), though it does concern a #KeebWeeb vendor. Not a fan of mixing up drama with actual news.

So instead I’ma dig up receipts and just hand out the popcorn here, kek.

Summary
Back around Apr / May 2020, Aura Mech hosted a Group Buy for the Bloody Thirsty Wrist Rest:

Bloody Thirsty Wrist Rest
Product Page Image.

Unfortunately, it seems the Group Buy never delivered for many. Customers claim they never received any communication from Aura Mech until the Group Buy was cancelled, and after the cancellation, no refunds, store credit, discounts, or any other forms of reimbursement were provided.

Another customer seems to have received the Wrist Rest, but it’s starkly different from what was advertised:

Bloody Thirsty Wrist Rest
Source: r/mechmarket Listing by u/Mc_Eggroll.

Read More: Caution against ordering from AuraMech from r/MechanicalKeyboards (Nov 11, 2020).

Now, fast forward 1.5 year(s) later, in Aura Mech’s Discord:

Thread Title:
Anthony is a SCAMMER he ripped of multiple 100 of customers with his blood wirst rest GB.

For context, Anthony is Aura Mech’s founder, owner, whatever you call it.

I haven’t seen a response to this thread-spam, or other customer inquiries, in the Aura Mech Discord.

5 Likes

Wow, this looks like they cast some resin, it turned out terribly, then they just chopped it up and shipped it w/o any finishing work. The literal least they could have done was finish out the pieces.

3 Likes

I bought a Cablemod coiled cable.

tl;dr: It is definitely a cable and does cable things.

Super detailed review:

It is definitely a cable and does cable things.
The Type-C connector fits well and isn’t jank like others in its price class.
The paint job on the connector is merely okay. Not the best I’ve seen, not the worst.

6 Likes

Did some long overdue keyboard chores this morning. Deadeye over on keebtalk lubed some Boba U4Ts for me way back in October. I gave the board and keycaps a good cleaning and swapped in the new switches. They feel absolutely wonderful. There’s a good deal more meat to the thock than the T1. Though those were plenty tactile.

5 Likes

6 Likes

20220320-2L1A4554

The Heavy-9 is finally complete!

6 Likes

Drop is running a limited GMK sale!

GMK Laser, White on Black, Red Samurai, Hennessey, and Pixel are discounted and in stock if y’all are interested:
(Local keyb bud’s affiliate link, FYI: https://dro.ps/vinexi-gmk-sale)

Not too many memorable sets, but I’m definitely tempted to pick up Laser: We shall see.

2 Likes