#KeebWeebClub! ⌨

Word, my reader at the office be like…

Also, I clicked it before reading and it just looked like a hole for a rotary encoder and they just never installed it lol.

That would be this… lol

3 Likes

She do be.

5 Likes

Built my Cyberboard R2 Le Smoking Jet Black
PBTFans Purpolch Keycaps w/ Space Bar Kit (purple space bar and arrow cluster)
Lubed Gateron Oil Kings
Lubed TX Stabilizers
Green Door Geeks POM Plate
Removed bottom layers of foam for volume and flex room

I didn’t take a ton of pics because I was very soured by the buying experience. There was almost no enthusiasm left by the time it was in-hand. Shipping was almost $100 and they used 4PX. So it took 2 weeks for the board and 4 weeks for the extra plate. During that time it was a pain to keep track of the tracking numbers because they expire if the main courier doesn’t get the package within a certain time period. So I had 5 or 6 over the course of the whole thing. Then when the plate showed up, it was missing the gaskets. Something that would not have been a problem if they were installed on the case in the first place. Luckily I was able to use some patience and a nylon razor to remove them w/o tearing all but one. You figure with its positioning as a premium product (and the price), they could throw a spare set of gasket strips in there.

Now that that’s out of the way, I have it built and it’s actually nice to use! The LED panel is impressive in its own right. Typically when I shoot the way I normally do with strobes, I have to turn them WAY down so they don’t wash out the LEDs. These are so bright that that is not a problem. I keep them on the lowest setting when in use so that I don’t have reflection back into my monitor.

The board doesn’t support QMK due to its uniqueness. Their software is clunky and I’d rather not have to use it, but at least you don’t need to keep it running. It’s just a flash and dash type deal. All-in-all, I maintain that it was a stupid purchase, but an excellent conversation piece. The PVD mirror coating is a nightmare to keep smudge free. I have a client that is going to treat it with some industrial stuff that’s used in high end installations to resist finger prints. Glad he’s doing it as a favor.

Would I recommend this board to anyone else? Absolutely not.
Is it pretty cool? Yeah. No regrets here.

4 Likes

Someone gave me the idea of a custom keyboard, someone tell me how expensive it is so I can stop thinking about it.

2 Likes

Eh, someone else might have a different definitions / standards associated with each price bracket, here’s my opinion:

• Under $100: It’s possible to build a custom without breaking $100, but most sub-$100 kits are probably mass-produced like the GMMK or Keychron, or super generic like the GK64 / GK87 / GK108, and may be stuck with proprietary software (so… maybe just buy a pre-built instead?). At this point, you’re probably only customizing your switches and keycap set.
  • $150 - $200 = “Budget” Build: Kits in this range are mostly populated by compact sizes (60%s) or plastic frames. The better options will have PCBs that’ll be QMK-compatible or VIA-compatible, which allows users to remap keys, add layers, add macros, etc. Some cheaper aluminum TKL (tenkeyless) kits may be found for under $200, but adding in switches and keycaps will likely push the overall budget slightly over $200.
  • $300 - $400 = “Mid-Range” Build: Kits in this range tend to have metal frames, are outfitted with quality-of-life features (hot-swappability, QMK-compatible / VIA-compatible, gasket-mounted, etc.), or are designed to fulfill a niche (ergonomic / 1800 layout, brass-weighted, multiple options for plate materials, etc.).
  • $500 - $800 = “Extremely Niche” Build: Kits in this range tend to be very unique or very limited-quantity products. If you have this budget, chances are there’s a very specific keeb niche you belong to, and you have a very specific itch you’d like to scratch.
  • Over $1000: Don’t.

First-Timer Tips

• Regardless of your budget, I’d highly recommend looking at hot-swappable keyboard kits. These kits will have PCBs with hot-swappable sockets, which lets you socket in switches without any tools (but removing switches will still require a switch puller). Unless, of course, you have easy access to soldering equipment and you’re perfectly okay wtih spending an evening manually soldering in 60 - 100 switches.
  • For switches, first narrow your preference down to Linear, Tactile, or Clicky, and then do the research – read about / ask for opinions on forums, listen to sound tests, etc. Switch testers are a thing that vendors sell, but have very limited use outside of repeatedly pressing down on a single button (i.e. it’s not a typing experience, it’s more of a pecking experience). Still, maybe having a thing is better than having no thing.
  • If you aren’t purchasing a keyboard kit and are manually shopping for parts (e.g. frame, PCB, switches, stabilizers, etc.), compatibility can be slightly tricky. Even with keyboard kits, there’s PCB switch socket-to-switch pin compatibility and stabilizer / layout-to-keycap set compatibility to look out for. If you’re ever unsure, feel free to post your parts list here, and myself or others will be more than happy to double-check.
  • Also I’ll highly advise against spending money on any Group Buys. In essence, they work like Kickstarters – manufacturers / vendors take the customer’s money first, and then deliver on their promised product later (much later, sometimes 4 - 12 months later). The process places the production risk entirely on the customer’s shoulders, and is prone to delays, manufacturing mishaps (e.g. mismatched render vs. reality colors), and plain dishonesty.

TLDR: This hobby is stupid and people who spend money on it are crazy. Unless you’re Den, in which case you’re crazy sexy.

2 Likes

Thaaaat’s what I was needing to hear. thanks.

2 Likes

You’re not getting out of this that easily…
Imma send you a keyboard so that all you have to do is customize it.

3 Likes

Uhhhhh, I do greatly appreciate the offer, but I only use my computers on the weekends, for which my pre-existing keebs are more than good enough.

1 Like

I decline your declination.

2 Likes

I’m also an asshole and would despise anything less than a full size normal layout keyboard.

Probably, I’ve never used anything other than a normal one.

2 Likes

I guess we’ll see lol.

2 Likes

Does this belong here…?
GMMK2 with Akko Matcha Green linears.

5 Likes

Love the build, dude!
I’ve gotta get my matchas onto my board one of these days :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thanks! They’re a very good feeling linear, would def recommend

2 Likes

Beam Spring by Level1Techs

This keeb vid is a considerably more digestible compared to L1T homelab / enterprise-related vids.

Er, personal preference disclaimer: I don’t agree with beam springs – I’m a silent linear keeb weeb, and the beam spring metallic-plasticky sound is the absolute antithesis of what I’m into – but I really enjoy Wendell vids! :grin:
Actually, I’m beginning to realize that I extremely dislike keeb sounds in streams.

Admittedly, when he deep dives into tech jargon and additional, informative context (e.g. relevant legal bills, historical trivia), a lot of it flies over my head, but I like his lowkey enthusiasm, pragmatic mindset, and honest, neutral delivery.

(Compare: LTT-Linus’s scripted reactions and hot-takes / bait / entertainment > informative value, GN-Steve’s cynicism played for drama.)

Wendell’s ‘:D’ face is contagious. :laughing:

Been watching his Twitch gaming streams too (teampgp on Twitch), which I also really enjoy. His streams lean more into the quiet, less talkative side (Ryan and Krista tend to make more conversation), which suits me just fine! I actually like placid streams with long stretches of verbal silence, and I find his calm-concentrated gaming personality very pleasant and agreeable.

Also, his accent and vernacular are nice? He has a particular way of saying “Nice,” and it’s, er, nais (IMO).

Note: Ryan’s rural White American comes through a lot in the gaming streams. Drink every time he mentions U.S. politics, bureaucratic corruption, or Mississippi pot roast. :rofl: Also, Krista’s a kinda-hardcore avid hiker and I love hearing about her hiking prep / outdoors experiences.
…All three of them really need to travel out of state / country more. They’re decently socially tolerant and open-minded, but their exposure to non-White American cultures is… erm… abysmal. :joy:

Anyway! Beam spring keebs.
I like that Wendell likes his keeb and is enthusiastically nerding out about it.

2 Likes

Looooooooooooooool. Gotta love the sometimes sideways glances you give the monitor when they say certain things lol. That said, it’s amazing how there’s literally never any malice felt.

2 Likes

Whew… I took quite a break from touching my keebs.
I decided to refresh the 43Studios 4398, my “endgame” full size.
New PCB, custom cut switch foam from Green Door Geeks (I did not want to apply 100 stickers a second time lol), and some lubed and filmed Gateron Oil Kings.

It feels pretty nice. If you told me a year ago that I’d be using linear switches on my main board, I might’ve slapped you lol.

3 Likes

2 Likes