MGK64 Update - Case, Stem, Spring Swaps!
- Note: Sound samples with Gazzew/Outemu Silent Linear Stems are absurdly quiet! Would recommend listening to them in a quiet environment.
- ごめんなさい!: Long post because .MP4s, and they don’t seem to embed within a spoiler? Dumped the sound samples at the tailend of the post, after the Final Verdict. Many sorrys if it seems disorganized!
Tofu60 Aluminum Case Swippity Swap!
MGK64 + KBDfans Tofu60 Aluminum Case (Black)
Case is weighty, has a nice and solid heft.
Indent in the butt is probs for room for other electronics bits, or PCB compatibility? Not really needed for GK64 PCBs, stuffed the gap with more shelf liner.
MGK64 - “3 Layers” Aluminum Case
The main reason I bought a new case. USB Type-C port is skewed towards the right.
Case’s frame gets in the way of connecting cables to the keeb.
I’d have taken a dremel to the hole if I had a dremel lying around.
MGK64 - Disassembled
I mean, y0ink.
"3 Layers" Aluminum + Tofu60 Aluminum Cases
Tofu60 Aluminum Case + Shelf Liner
Shelf liner didn’t need much extra modification to fit in the Tofu60 Aluminum Case. Yey, compatibility.
MGK64 PCB + Tofu60 Aluminum Case
MGK64 - Tofu60 USB Type-C Port
When I said “snug fit,” I meant snug fit.
Also, confirms my hypothesis, that it’s the dumbo “3 Layers” Case that’s skewed, not the PCB’s USB port.
MGK64 + OEM Fog White Keycaps
Gazzew Silent Linear Stem | Durock L7 Stem
Gateron Silent Ink Black Stem | Gateron Ink Black Stem
Goose, duck, duck, duck.
Two Stage Long Spring (150g) | Stainless Steel Spring (150g)
Gold-Plated SPRiT Spring (150g) | Durock L7 Spring (67g)
Gateron Silent Ink Black Spring | Gateron Silent Ink Spring
Store: [Stocks up on 150g springs.]
’Chew: I’LL TAKE YOUR ENTIRE STOCK.
Switch Modding - Modded Silent L7 Switches
Pippity pop, open up the switch’s top?
- L7 Switch Top Wobble: Noticed that Durock L7 housings don’t sit as tightly together as Gateron Inks. Throwing in some Deskeys Switch Films between the switch’s housings alleviated the L7’s housing wobble.
- L7 Housing + Gazzew/Outemu Silent Linear Stem Wobble: Again, not as tight as Gateron Inks. Tolerances between the Durock/JWK housings and Gazzew stems are… a bit wobbly, but adequate, for me, at least. Less noticeable once keycaps are on.
- Silent Stems: Cushioning those stems with rubber dampers makes a significant difference. Keystrokes are very muted, especially on the upstroke! Also, sound samples below suggest the Gazzew/Outemu Silent Stems are waaay more quiet than the Gateron Silent Ink Blacks, regardless of spring weight. Personal preference, I prefer the sound of the Silent L7s over Silent Ink Blacks.
- Two Stage Long Springs : To my fingers, the difference between the Two Stage Long Springs (TS-150g) and regular Stainless Steel Springs (150g) are somewhat marginal? TS-150g feels a bit heavier than regular 150g, and the upstroke with TS-150g is slightly more aggressive. Theoretically, with the TS-150g, keystrokes should gradually feel more resistant as they draw closer towards the bottom, buuut… something something 150g and I can’t detect that minute sensation.
- Lubrication : Ah, hmm… Something felt very off while typing with both the Silent L7s and the Silent Ink Blacks, mebbe it’s 'cos they weren’t lubed? I intentionally did not lube them for first impressions, 'cos I wanted, uh, first impressions, lol. Especially for the Modded Silent L7s. Also, wanted to only touch up a switch + stem + spring combination I felt confidently comfortable with. Gotta ration that lube, y’know?
[Kicks drum away.]
Ain’t no one got time for that.
Found a liking for the Modded Silent L7 (TS-150g), out of the modded combinations I went through. Sooo, went ahead and lubed + filmed up those 99 × Silent L7s (TS-150g), then popped 'em into muh Eighty #391.
…Yes, 99, and not 100, because I mangled 6 × Modded Ink Blacks (150g) while ripping them out of Eighty #391, and I was literally one switch film short of 100 × Modded Silent L7s.
(Er, technically still have a sheet of 20 × Deskeys Switch Films that is still in mint condition, but… I’m not touching that sheet for one unmodded switch. Because. My. OCD. Is. Stupid. 'sides, 99 is plenty enough for a TKL. )
Eighty #391 Update in the next couple’a days or so, when I can find pockets of time to
shirk work I mean, divert a portion of my attention towards a productive, invigorating, and not-wholly-officially-sanctioned break.
MGK64 + Modded BOX Heavy Black Switches
Kailh BOX Black Stems + Top Housings
Hako Royal Clear Bottom Housings
Kailh BOX Ancient Gray Springs
MGK64 - Modded BOX Heavy Black Switches (Fast)
MGK64 - Modded BOX Heavy Black Switches (Slow)
MGK64 - Durock L7 (67g) Switches (Fast)
MGK64 - Durock L7 (67g) Switches (Slow)
MGK64 + Modded Silent L7 Switches
Durock L7 Housings
Gazzew/Outemu Silent Linear Stems
Durock L7 (67g) + Kebo Stainless Steel (150g) + Flashquark Two Stage Long (150g) Springs
MGK64 - Modded Silent L7 (67g) Switches (Fast)
MGK64 - Modded Silent L7 (67g) Switches (Slow)
MGK64 - Modded Silent L7 (150g) Switches (Fast)
MGK64 - Modded Silent L7 (150g) Switches (Slow)
MGK64 - Modded Silent L7 (TS-150g) Switches (Fast)
MGK64 - Modded Silent L7 (TS-150g) Switches (Slow)
MGK64 + Gateron/Modded Silent Ink Black Switches
Stock Gateron Silent Ink Black Switches
Gateron Silent Ink Black Stems + Housings
Kebo Stainless Steel (150g) + Flashquark Two Stage Long (150g) Springs
MGK64 - Gateron Silent Ink Black Switches (Fast)
MGK64 - Gateron Silent Ink Black Switches (Slow)
MGK64 - Modded Silent Ink Black (150g) Switches (Fast)
MGK64 - Modded Silent Ink Black (150g) Switches (Slow)
MGK64 - Modded Silent Ink Black (TS-150g) Switches (Fast)
MGK64 - Modded Silent Ink Black (TS-150g) Switches (Slow)