Henninger Flats / Eaton Canyon Trail
Time at Start: 6:45 AM
Time at Henninger Flats: 8:30 AM
Time at Eaton Canyon Falls: 10:30 AM
Time at Return: 11:00 AM

AllTrails Route: Henninger Flats Trail / Eaton Canyon Trail

Total Distance: 8.0 mi
Elevation Gain: 1750 ft

Impulsively decided to hike Henninger Flats again, partly so that I could get the “Verified Completed” badge to pop up on my AllTrails account (I missed the chance the first time we went), and partly to see whether I could do it. Also, partly as an excuse to play around with the VanTop Moment 4C Action Camera I got from Manager-san a while back.

…OCD is stupid. Don’t catch it. :joy:

Footage ended up being mostly uninteresting, I think. Cam was pointed at the ground most of the time. Scrapped it. :wastebasket:

Went alone this time. I figured my friendos would be tired from our Peters Canyon Regional Park hike yesterday, and I wanted to hike at my own pace. Just before starting the trail, I let my friendos know where I was, what I was doing, set a 3 hr no-response time limit, and provided emergency contacts.

Second time getting to Henninger Flats wasn’t as bad. It’s just the start that takes a toll. Once I reached the path with the bench / resting areas, I found the hike much easier.

Henninger Flats Trail Photos:

Once Henninger Flats was done, decided to listen to my impulses again and take a detour towards the Eaton Canyon Falls. “Might as well,” I thought, “Since I’m in the area n’ all.”

Eaton Canyon Trail Photos:

Yeeeaaah… IMO? Not worth it. :laughing:

Near the creek, Eaton Canyon’s trail is significantly rockier (read: more perilous) compared to the fire road-like trail that led up to Henninger Flats. Waterfall ended up being a piddly lil’ stream that trickled down into a small pool.

Then again, it is summer. Could be, the water’s just dried up. :thinking:

Aaaaand that was the point my feet started protesting. :dedbodi:
No pain or swelling, thankfully. Just, sore and tired.

Ahhh… RIP Future 'Chew that has to get up for work tomorrow morning. :joy:

BTW!

The AllTrails app is immensely helpful, especially for real-time navigation:

• Green Dot: Starting Point.
  • Red Trail: Completed Path.
    • Also tracks the path even if you veer off the trail.
  • Blue Dot: Current Position.
  • Blue Cone: Line of Sight.
    • Acts like a compass. Say, you come across an intersection and aren’t sure which path leads to the way back, the blue cone will follow the phone’s position. Point the phone / blue cone towards the tracked trail (Solid Red Trail) to backtrack your steps.
  • Pink Trail: Recommended Trail Path.
    • Path is generated from AllTrails’s list of Curated Trails. Users are completely free to diverge from the established path.
  • Dotted Black Line: Additional Trail Paths.

The app also records the time taken, distance covered, and elevation gained during a session. At the end of a session, totals are collated on the user’s personal profile. Very useful for keeping track of and chasing goals.

Much wow. Very recommend. Yes. :grin:

6 Likes