Time at Return: 12:00 PM

Original AllTrails Plan: Jones Peak Loop
Actual AllTrails Route: Mount Wilson Trail to Bailey Canyon Loop

Total Distance: 8.2 mi
Elevation Gain: 2,600 ft

Generic Scenery Photos:

Fuck this route. :joy:
Today I learned a lot about my hiking preferences and eccentricities:

• Eaton Canyon Trail and Bonelli Perimeter Loop gave me an inkling, but the Mt. Wilson Trail really cemented it for me: I hate small trails. Especially if the trail’s ledge opens up into the beautiful scenery below. Very, very, far below.
  • I have some weird mental insecurity / paranoia about my left leg. Seems like, I’m very reluctant to put pressure on, or to rely on, my left leg – especially if the cliffside is to my left.
  • The more tired I get, the less I care about falling. :dedbodi:
  • I also dislike winding trails. I understand the purpose of winding trails – rather than climb one very steep incline, the steep incline is broken up into a bunch of gentler, but longer, inclines – but I still dislike them. It reminds me of backtracking, and backtracking is not something I’d like to do when I’m trying to gain distance and / or height during a hike.

On the plus side, I’ve noticed – not just on this hike, but others as well – that many hikers and trail runners are surprisingly friendly and courteous. Hikers tend to yield to runners and cyclists (“Thank you!”), and peepos going opposite ways greet each other rather politely. :eyes::sweat_drops:

Friendly person took a photo for me:

'Chew Equivalent of :upside_down_face:
“Nice view.”

“How the heck do I get down.”

Ah, right.
I deviated from the original plan 'cos I had enough of the Mt. Wilson Trail and decided to try my luck descending via the Bailey Canyon Trail.

THANK THE GODS I DID. :pray:

Bailey Canyon Trail was significantly more solid and considerably less steep compared to Mt. Wilson Trail.

Mt. Wilson Trail starts off okay, but once you pass the crossroad sign (this one), the trail gets ridiculously narrow – like, 0.5 m / 1.6 ft width of space to move through, with a perilous edge always on one side as a friendly reminder to not be careless. And if someone needs to pass you, there’s a bit of awkwardness as one person hugs one side of the already narrow path, while the other nervously shimmies over to the other side.

I hated every minute of it.

Every other trail was more or less alright, and I’d be open to revisiting them, or dragging bringing along friendos for funzies.

Jones Peak?
Hellllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll no.
Not doing this one again, and definitely not bringing friendos here.

7 Likes