What new games are you playing?

Genshin Impact
Tags: Open World Fantasy RPG, Linear Storyline, Gacha, Free to Play

Okay, well.
I recently learned that my two favorite VAs of all time are voicing characters in Genshin Impact.
So.
Now I have Genshin Impact. :derpdorp:

• Sayu (JP VA: Suzaki Aya / 洲崎 綾): Ayappe has a beautiful singing voice and lovely voice in general. Her voicing Chidori’s lines in the FLOWERS visual novel series is still the highlight of her numerous voicing roles, IMO. I very strongly believe she has a lot of talent and deserves a hella lot more recognition and spotlight roles, but that could be my bias speaking. Suffers from small chest syndrome. :rofl:
    • Sayu’s voice took me very off-guard. Usually, if I’m familiar with a VA, I pick up on the nuances in their voice and I can identify the VA behind a character. I legitimately couldn’t recognize Suzaki Aya’s voice in Sayu’s.
  • Yae Miko (JP VA: Sakura Ayane / 佐倉 綾音): Ayaneru’s voiced roles range from gruff tomboy to nervous older sister to bubbly heroine. When she’s Sakura Ayane, and not her adopting an in-character personality, she’s hilarious. Quite friendly with the people and other VAs she’s worked with in the industry, too, I’m led to believe.
    • Kinda surprised Ayane was picked for the regal shrine priestess role, but she pulls it off decently well. I can still recognize that it’s her voice in a blind test, tho. :grin:

Suzaki Aya and Sakuara Ayane have worked together on more than one occasion: FLOWERS series (visual novel, drama CDs), Knights of Sidonia (anime and radio CDs), Bang Dream! (spin-off anime, mobile game), etc.

Now they’re both featured in an upcoming Genshin Impact update / event, and er…
Hook, line, sinker. :derpdorp:

Though, I think I have enough self-control to avoiding spending money on gacha-gambling.
I’ll fork out the cash for one-time payment games and DLCs. Subscription-based games, I’m still a bit iffy about. Gacha games? Hell naw. :laughing:

Considering the disdain around gacha games and “It’s a BotW rip-off, reee…!”, I didn’t think much of Genshin Impact at first.

I will say, for a Free to Play title, Genshin Impact is incredibly impressive. Combat, music, and graphics are leagues above half-hearted F2P RPGs. Story is unraveled through a plethora of quests and dialogue; how in-depth it is, I can’t judge quite yet. Its massive cast of characters borrows voices from English, Japanese (:peepogies:), Chinese, and Korean VA industries. Gacha is encouraged (how else do the devs profit, eh?), but quite optional and doesn’t detract from the gameplay or story.

Mm, I’d encourage peepos to give it a shot before bashing on it. :eyes:
There’s quite a lot more to Genshin Impact than anime booba, lol.

4 Likes

Recently got back into Team Fortress 2 - kinda out of curiosity and kinda as a mistake.

Also taste that max settings… in a 14 year old game on an R9 Fury X… certainly not impressing the pros here, that’s for damn sure. I prefer my game to not look like Jumping Flash on the PS1.

3 Likes

I just finished playing FEAR. The me from 10-15 years ago would certainly be proud of this accomplishment, as I was too terrified to get past even the opening level of this game as a kid back in the day.

Outside of a couple ‘surprise’ moments (wouldn’t really call them jumpscares), I think the scariest part of this game now was the coil whine it was causing my GPU to put out.
No but really, I had a good time playing through it. It’s got the good kind of horror, focusing more on the general atmosphere of the game as opposed to cheap jumpscares.
Apparently it’s heavily inspired by Japanese horror…? I can’t really comment on that since I’m not too well-versed as far as that’s concerned, but I liked it.

Thankfully, it was playable (also in ultrawide) without any tinkering outside of a quick fix regarding FPS drops. I did come across a few graphical glitches (mostly flickering), but nothing game-breaking.
It may not have aged particularly well when it comes to its graphics (especially if you’re just standing still and analyzing a scene), but it still had some really cool tech for the time - mainly its lighting, shaders, AI and physics, to name a few impressive aspects. I’d say it looks somewhat similar to Quake 4, which came out in the same year.

Overall, I’d say it’s definitely worth playing even in 2021 if you’re into action-horror FPS titles.
You can only buy it as part of the FEAR Complete Pack on Steam (I got it for €10 when the Summer Sale was going, but normally it’s priced at almost €60 which is definitely not worth it), but I’m pretty sure you can get it individually on GOG.

3 Likes

Tried Bless Unleashed. Only played 14 hours so far (spread between a few characters), so I haven’t seen all of what the game has to offer, but I’m already getting bored of it.
Haven’t played Bless Online, so I don’t know how they compare to each other.
From what I’ve gathered, this game came out on Xbox before PC, so the UI looks more tailored to controllers.

The combat (or rather, the combo system) feels clunky to me.
It doesn’t seem to be P2W, so far at least.
Current classes available:

• Berserker
  • Crusader
  • Ranger
  • Mage
  • Priest

Classes I tried:

• Crusader
  • Mage
  • Ranger
  • Priest

I usually play as a mage in games like this, but, here, priest felt better (at least in the beginning).
Crusader and ranger aren’t bad.

Haven’t done a lot of crafting or fishing, so I can’t comment on those.
Haven’t joined guilds, unions or gotten far enough to unlock the estate so I don’t know how they’ll affect gameplay.

3 Likes

fire emblem the sacred stones on a DS lite

5 Likes

FlatOut 2! Actually, this one’s cheating because I already own it on Steam… and on the original Xbox… but now I have the Japanese version on PS2.

Maybe I oughta beat it like this like I’ve tried to do with Burnout Dominator.

3 Likes

Fire Emblem - Three Houses
Tags: Tactical Turn-Based JRPG, Story Rich, Replay Value

Hhhhrrrnnnggg… Where do I start?!

I looove the Fire Emblem series. Current favorite is Fire Emblem Awakening, but I’ve barely scratched 3 hours into Fire Emblem: Three Houses, and it’s already a very close contender for that title! For the FE series, I’ve played:

• Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn (Wii): Enjoyable. Sucks that only a NG+ playthrough unlocks the “best” ending of the game, though.
  • Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon (NDS): Loved it when I first played through it. I’m afraid that the newer 3DS gameplay / graphics might make NDS a bit stale to me now. Never like Marth’s hairstyle, lol.
  • Fire Emblem: New Mystery of the Emblem (NDS): Customizable Avatar and returning characters from Shadow Dragon were nice touches.
  • Fire Emblem Awakening (3DS): Best. Fire. Emblem. Plot follows the conventional, “there’s evil lurking on the horizon, go forth and whoop its ass,” but is still intruiging and exciting. Cast of characters is great, both in terms of individual stories and fun gameplay / class abilities. Chrom and Lucina and Robin, especially, are all competent, well-intentioned leaders / protagonists. Chrom’s and Lucina’s hairstyles don’t suck. CG, animated battle scenes, and voice-overs are all well-executed. Thank you for Japanese voice-over with English subtitles, I never never never liked English dubs of any Japanese games.
  • Fire Emblem Fates (3DS): Stale, compared to Awakening. Azura / Aqua’s a fine protagonist – calm, analytical, and decisive. Corrin, by comparison, comes across as an some frustrating absent-minded idealist (Note: Revelation Route). Oh, but because Corrin’s some barefoot half-dragon Mary Sue snowflake, he gets to command the armies because his blood is special. Plot revolves around two feuding factions, but what makes it boring to me is it follows the classic, uninspired East vs. West trope. Also IDK why Fates neglected to include JP voice-overs in the original / unmodded English game, but that’s another strike against it for me. Eh… I suppose it’s OST was good. Also, character inserts / including returning characters from Fates and Paralogues felt clumsy, it detracted even further from the already awkward storyline, IMO.
    • PUT ON SOME DAMN SHOES CORRIN. FFS D’YOU EVEN KNOW HOW MUCH DUST THE ROADS PICK UP.

Haven’t played Shadows of Valentia. Dunno if I’ll get around to it.

Using yuzu to emulate Nintendo Switch titles like FE: Three Houses on the PC. AFAIK, the main usable Switch emulators are yuzu and Ryujinx. And, InB4 holier-than-thou piracy debates, neither emulators will work without files / dumps from a physical Switch* and neither of them condone pirating games.

Asterisk (*): There are workarounds. Google around.

Holy hell but does yuzu run hella smoooooth! At least, compared to running FE Awakening & FE Fates with Citra.

Anyway, anyway. Emulation aside, about the game–

Edelgard von Hresvelg
Holy fuck.

This woman looked in my direction once and my soul left it’s body.
Ughhh her vooooooooooice, too. It tingles the back of my brain in a very welcome sorta way.
Reminds me of Sakura Ayane’s voice, but more refined / controlled.

Also, Edelgard × Byleth, thank you I have a new yuri ship now. Bless. :pray:

Erm… Right, about the game.

Combat Phase is standard Fire Emblem – move your units across the field and whack the opponent’s units into submission, or fulfill other objectives. Doors and Chests still require keys or Thief classes. New things that I’ve noticed:

• It’s expanded from FE Awakening / Fates with its arsenal of weapons, including Gauntlets as a new weapon type. Spells are split into Reason and Faith categories – damage-dealing and support magic respectively – for leveling.
  • I think they’ve done away with the classic Sword-Lance-Axe Weapon Triangle (i.e. Rock-Paper-Scissors)? Weaknesses seem to be down to a unit-by-unit basis – at least, for the player’s team and named characters.
  • Skills like Heavy Armor, Flying, and Riding now level like weapon skills from previous games. Prior to this change, these skills were class-dependent and were automatically learned if a unit changes classes.
  • Class changes and advancements still require Seals, but a successful change / advancement requires the unit to level skills that pertain to the new class.
  • Support between units still add stat benefits between the two. Unlike Awakening and Fates, though, units act individually and do not team up to deal extra damage or to mitigate incoming damage. Also new is that, when on the offensive, all units adjacent to the controlled unit, as well as any non-adjacent unit within range of the enemy unit being attacked (think, pincer attack), will earn support points.
  • If a controlled unit is within the enemy’s attack range, a glowing red arc will sprout from said enemy unit(s) to the highlighted unit (e.g. above screenshot). If more than one controlled unit is within the enemy’s attack range, only one red arc will appear, and it seems to predict the enemy’s most likely target of attack. Previous FE titles never seemed to have this helpful (EZ Mode?) indicator.

School Phase is new to Fire Emblem: Three Houses. Rather than progressing through the story via battle-after-battle-after-endless-battle, time now follows a day-by-day school schedule. Between the battles, the players can explore the home area, hold lectures, participate in seminars, take the time to get to know their units, chill out with fishing / gardening / cooking, and complete errands for people.

• The home area is expansive, but the game eases the player into their new surroundings. Areas and new game elements are steadily unlocked as the player progresses through the game.
  • There’s a limited number of activities the player can engage in while exploring. Speaking / checking up on units will never consume time, but training, cooking, sharing a meal, and choir practice – activities that raise stats or support points – will.
  • Support scenes / dialogue are now enacted by the character models and take place in various locations, rather than fulfilled by static images and a generic background image as in previous games. Very welcome touch, definitely adds more character to the gameplay and more entertainment for the player.
  • Starkly different from Awakening’s Robin and Fates’s Corrin, Three Houses’s Byleth seems to follow the silent protagonist trope, and they’re usually expressionless. For peepos into character customization, the most players are able to customize is their gender, name, apparel (DLC), and classes (as you gain levels). Byleth seems a’ight to me, tho, both personality and appearance-wise. :+1:
  • Game starts off relatively grounded and down-to-earth, compared to Awakening and Fates. Haven’t seen any odd time or space-manipulating shenanigans (e.g. Paralogues and time-traveling offspring), aside from the voice residing inside Byleth’s head.

Need to play more for a more extensive list of changes, but the above is what stood out to me most after a short 3 hour session.

Did I mention I’m loving the game so far?
I’m having an absolute blast. Haven’t been this thrilled by a game in ages. :grin:

5 Likes

I have been playing the starwars battlefront(thecnically the third one), its been ok, it has a very small player base so waiting for rounds to start is slow. But since I got the game for 3 USD its fine. (I should really get the secound one)

3 Likes

Finished my first playthrough yesterday, on the Crimson Flower route.

[Deep breaths.]

I can safely, definitively proclaim Fire Emblem: Three Houses as my favorite Fire Emblem game. Even trumps Fire Emblem Awakening, and I adore that game. :laughing:

The Three Houses of Garreg Mach Monastery

• Black Eagles: Headed by Edelgard von Hresvelg. Students and allies are affiliated with the Adrestian Empire.
  • Blue Lions: Headed by Dimitri Alexandre Blaiddyd. Students and allies are affiliated with the Holy Kingdom of Faerghus.
  • Golden Deer: Headed by Claude von Riegan. Students and allies are affiliated with the Leicester Alliance.

Initially, FE: Three Houses forcing the player to choose a route and to pick a leader to follow made me a bit uncomfortable. That plot-critical decision is made very early in the game, and while Byleth (the protagonist) makes a few mental comments about each of the leaders’ personalities, the player is otherwise left in the dark about their factions, their personal ambitions, and their future character development.

I picked Edelgard, of course.
…Definitely without any ulterior motives and not influenced by my insatiable thirst for yuri.

Aligning with one House doesn’t lock the player out from interacting with students from the other two Houses. Byleth can still form supports and recruit them, though some conversations with the leaders (Edelgard / Dimitri / Claude) and their closest confidants (Hubert / Dedue / Hilda) will be unavailable.

Been mulling the game over, indulging myself in spoilers related to the other routes in Three Houses, and I am very glad I decided to follow Edelgard with the Crimson Flower route. Had I picked any of the others, I’ve a feeling I’d be dead-bored out of my mind, and it’d be the dissatisfaction of Fire Emblem Fates all over again.

Spoiler Warning
There will be unhidden plot-related and personal stories-related spoilers below.

Impressions

Thoughts on Edelgard

Edelgard: Hier apparent to the Adrestian throne. Analytical and ambitious. Respects meritocracy and initiative, dislikes complacency and blind faith / blind compliance.

A female lead always piques my interest – sorry-not-sorry, that simply be how it is. On the flip side, it means if she end up being tropey, weak-willed, dependent, codependent, or some other nature that I’m judgemental against, I write her off rather quickly. Edelgard, though, I find agreeable and genuinely respectable.

Initially, Edelgard’s presented as the “intelligent leader” / mage archetype counterpart to Dimitri’s “honorable leader” / paladin archetype and Claude’s “cunning leader” / rogue archetype. As Edelgard begins to trust Byleth, she offers little insights about her past, her world views, and her hopes for the future. Connect the dots, and her ambition is to dismantle the existence of Crests and to reform positions of authority (currently exclusively held by the nobility). No small feat, since achieving a reformation of that scale will also mean overthrowing the reigning, militant religion of the region (Church of Seiros).

…I like the sound of that already, heh.

Edelgard – to my delight – averts the power-hungry warlord / arrogant mage stereotype. She frequently asks Byleth for thoughts or counsel, confides in and deeply, implicitly trusts Hubert, and is fully realistic that her own strength and willpower – while considerable – is insufficient to fulfill her future goals. She understands that she needs capable allies, reflected by constantly encouraging and motivating her classmates, and appreciating the camaraderie and successes born from teamwork. At no point does she ever expect people to blindly yield to her opinions. From the very start, Edelgard insists that Byleth treats her as a student first, and House leader second. At this stage, if people follow or respect her, it’ll be because she’s earned their trust and confidence. The reverse is true as well – if she takes an interest in someone, that trust and confidence is earned.

Though, that doesn’t mean Edelgard’s an overly compassionate leader – if the need arises, she seems to have no qualms resorting to violence to subjugate her foes. It’s made abundantly clear that while she laments war and its aftermaths, she also is not one to shy away from bloodshed. Fulfilling her ambition is priority number one, and she’s considered the possibility that it will necessitate casualties and madness. She approaches her plans with acute realism, always fully aware of the consequences of her actions and how they might be perceived by others, but nevertheless still remaining steadfast and true to her aspirations.

Meritocracy is what comes to mind, in terms of the way Edelgard interacts with her peers. Special treatment and expectations assumed from social status (nobility vs. commoner) and social stigmas (Crest bearer vs. non-Crest bearers) mean little to her; what matters is individual ability and accomplishments. She very much assesses people based on their existing merits and future potential, and disdains the complacency of nobles and fatalism of commoners alike. And in times of mourning or pain, rather than coddle, wallow in regrets, or offer hollow sympathies, she approaches traumatic events with a pragmatic, yet tactful, attitude. There is a remarkable, inherent understanding and trust in an individual’s agency and inner strength.

“Actions speak louder than words,” seems to be the core of Edelgard’s motivations and character.
Down with blind conformity. Down with superficial social constructs. Down with societal expectations.
Take the reins to your own destiny.

Edelgard is the very image of a competent and decisive leader, without being naive, impulsive, or arrogant.

I thought I was smitten by her before, but damn.
Freaking love her and respect her and 100% everything she stands for.
To the point that I cannot see myself aligning with any other faction.

Thoughts on Hubert

Hubert: Edelgard’s left hand that is ready and willing to further her goals. Perceptive, resolute, and callous. Extremely – and solely – faithful to Edelgard and her ambitions.

I’d describe Hubert as “Lawful Neutral” on the D&D Alignment System, though, with the “Law” being fixated on Edelgard’s agendas. So long as the result of some plot ends in Edelgard’s favor, Hubert seems to regard anything and everything as permitted. To clarify, he has an understanding of common ethics and morality. He simply… does not care. It’d probably be more accurate to say that he’s unrestrained by such notions of ethics and morality. Whatever actions he takes – helping a colleague, perhaps even interrogation – are motivated not by altruism, personal ego, or sadism, but by pure necessity. Senseless murder is still condemnable. Excessive charity is equally meaningless. Hence, neither “Good” (for the people) nor “Evil” (for himself) but “Neutral.”

It’s this entire lack of empathy and morality Hubert exhibits, as well as other complexities and paradoxes in his character, that makes him extremely intriguing, in my eyes. He carries the utmost respect for Edelgard, but never flatters or coddles or grovels beneath her and embraces his position as her servant with dignity. He addresses his peers and others with formal language and honorifics, but seldom out of genuine respect for the other party. His intentions are honest and single-minded, but his methods are not. He fully understands the arduous, vicious path of Edelgard’s ambitions, and willingly, nonchalantly offers to assume tasks too abhorrent to or beneath her image as a leader. Everything he does, as he tends to state, is for Edelgard’s sake.

With no personal, self-indulgent motivation to speak of (e.g. fame, fortune, family), he is the single most selfless character in the Black Eagles House – and probably the entire cast of FE: Three Houses characters – yet instead of adhering to common concepts of altruism = “greater good,” all his energy is channeled into one person.

Make no mistake, though. Hubert is no sycophant, and is perfectly capable of exerting his own will. He will listen and heed Edelgard’s orders, but if said orders run contrary to Edelgard’s wellbeing (e.g. self-sacrifice) or goals, he is likely to disregard them. Edelgard usually shows an awareness of and begrudgingly accepts Hubert’s line of thinking, of course.

There is a very distinct, very clear-cut unity between the two – between Edelgard and Hubert. They share the typical master and servant relationship, but also share mutual respect, unconditional trust, and a seemingly holistic understanding of each others’ roles, abilities, and limits. I dare say it extends beyond the confidence between a lord and his bodyguard, or the friendship between a lord and his retainer.

Hubert is the very definition of pure loyalty, completely unfettered by self-seeking motivations and human restraints.

And, perhaps this is a controversial opinion, but that makes him entirely fascinating and admirable to me.

Other Brief Impressions

Black Eagles

• Ferdinand: The nobleman’s firstborn. Very… loud, but competent and well-meaning, motivated by the idea of serving as Edelgard’s advisor. Rather flexible mindset on noble-commoner relations. Matures greatly and becomes considerably more respectable and reliable after the timeskip.
  • Linhardt: The drowsy genius. Surprisingly observant and caring, disguising his frequent kindness with some half-baked self-serving excuse. Passionate about research, occasionally tactless with words, dislikes violence.
  • Caspar: Brawn-over-brains kinda guy and very indifferent about formalities, despite being nobility. Enthusiastic, impulsive, and very direct. Admires justice and physical strength.
  • Bernadetta: Hikikomori (i.e. a Shut-In). Self-deprecating. Out of touch with the social mood, panics around strangers, intimidating persons, and unfamiliar crowds. …High-pitched, squeaky. Improves her self-esteem slightly after the timeskip – very slightly.
  • Dorothea: Commoner songstress with many favors among the nobility. Unapologetically capitalizes on her charm, if only to marry well and secure a comfortable, future life for herself. Pleasantly amicable around her fellow students, with fond nicknames for her Black Eagles classmates. Has a sympathetic soul. After the timeskip, she becomes understandably unenthusiastic about violence and the long war.
  • Petra: Foreign princess in an unfamiliar culture. Earnest, competent, and determined, responds to events with a refreshingly realistic mindset. Well-liked and admired by her peers. One of my favorite characters, next to Edelgard and Hubert. One of my extra favorite characters, after unintentionally, fortuitously finding out that she has a dedicated, romantic(?) ending with Dorothea. They definitely make a wholesome, adorable couple.

Others

• Rhea: Never liked her. Too high-and-mighty, too holier-than-thou. Embodies a lot of what I personally find critical about organizations claiming authority based on religion and biased histories.
  • Dimitri: White bread. Another anti-hero with PTSD and anger issues because his family was massacred and he can’t come to terms with it. Even better, his route (Azure Moon) largely starts off as a meaningless revenge quest. Ironic, seeing as how, as a student, he likes to preach 正々堂々 (Fair and Square) in battle and training sessions. 結構です。
  • Claude: Amicable, but mundane. Slight foil to Dimitri’s honorable 正々堂々, Claude figures that so long as the end result turns out in his favor, any tactic or underhandness is valid. Also, as a slight foil to Edelgard’s decisive nature, Claude seems to prefer watching and waiting before acting.

TLDR
Blessed be, Byleth × Edelgard.
Blessed be, Dorothea × Petra.

Three Houses?
Best. Fire. Emblem.

3 Likes

Speaking of fire emblem.
2021-09-27
I played it during down time, I am on the 3rd chapter right now.
I will say I can see interactive game’s elements from advanced wars, but it feels like a more polish advanced wars.
(DS battery life is nuts, I think mine has been running like 8 hours non stop before)

3 Likes

You posted it!

I love the character snapshots, as ever. And I might actually have to pick up a fire emblem game now ;).

5 Likes

Boyfriend Dungeon
Tags: Dating Simulator, Hack and Slash, Roguelite, Dungeon Crawler, LGBTQ+

ALRIGHT, I KNOW THE TITLE IS CRINGE, BUT HEAR ME OUT.

No, nevermind. Anyone that’s turned off by dating sims aren’t gonna like this game anyway. :rofl:

Seriously tho, I wish they tried harder with the title, 'cos “Boyfriend Dungeon” has more elements than just dating guys. Dates aren’t even exclusively guys, and platonic relationships are perfectly achievable.

Your dates are your equippable weapons.
À la Soul Eater or Bleach.

Gameplay is a balance of visual novel-like dates / platonic hanging out, and hack-n-slash dungeon delving. On the easy side. Reminds me a bit of Moonlighter, in terms of combat – attack, dodge, attack, attack, attack. An unrelenting offense is the best defense, in this game.

Story is incredibly linear, slightly tropey, negligible replay value. For me, at least, it became very clear early in the story whom the antagonist was, and why the weapons were mysteriously damaged.

Characters, too, are kiiind of cut-and-dry (). Somehow, they’re all interested in the protag, and they’re all presumably conveniently open-minded if the protag is polygamous (at the very least, they don’t raise a ruckus over it). Alternatively, if any of the characters aren’t the player’s type, platonic relationships are also an option.

• Isaac (Estoc): Philantropist businessman. Analytical and serious, but amicable.
    • I, ah, have very limited knowledge of weapons, but I always understood estocs as two-handed weapons? Oddly, the protagonist seems to wield Isaac with one hand. (Tho, I could be mistaken.)
  • Sunder (Talwar): Troublemaker. Playboy. Flirtatious and non-committal. Lives in the moment.
    • To my complete chagrin, despite pushing Sunder into the deepest friendzone pit I could find (he’s very not my type), the story still seems to regard Sunder’s route as romantically / emotionally important?
  • Valeria (Dagger): Daring street artist. Wary of strangers, but values honesty and good friends.
    • Admittedly, Valeria is what drew me to the game. She’s a decently likable character – who doesn’t like a rebel heart? – if not an overly “safe” choice. In the end, not too remarkable.
  • Rowan (Scythe): Mysterious witch / wizard. Enjoys riddles and mysticism. A bit archaic.
    • Could interpret Rowan as a kooky occultist, or a clairvoyant. I could see them appealing to supernatural-minded folks.
    • One of the more OP weapons, in terms of combat gameplay.
  • Seven (Lightsaber): K-Pop idol. Flashy appearance, jaded personality.
    • …The most forgettable character, IMO. :joy:
  • Sawyer (Glaive): Uni student. Hectic, but enthusiastic and bright-eyed. Submissive-vibes.
    • Very clearly admires the protagonist. Would like to see them differentiate their self-deprecating attitude from their humility.
    • …Kinda cute, personality-wise. I have the oddest urge to both protect them and tease them.
  • Pocket (Brass Knuckles): Cat.
    • No, you can’t date the cat.
    • Very welcome break from everyone lusting after the protag.
    • The other OP weapon, in terms of combat gameplay.

The thing about me playing dating sims.
…I have zero idea what “my type” is, other than women.

There are characteristics that I respect, but that doesn’t mean that a person exhibiting said characteristics is someone I’d see myself with. Ironically, I think it has the opposite effect – the more I respect someone, the more “out of my league” they seem to me.

Ah, but enough about me.
The point I think I’m trying to make – dating sims don’t really help in any introspective way (IMO). Interacting with and getting to know the characters still has entertainment value, tho.

Also, as a side effect.
…I am. Thirsty as hell.
Need a really cold shower.

GDI.

3 Likes

Predictable spoilers

Summary

I don’t want to spoil anything, but uh, there might be the possibility of marrying like any of the students you want provided you play your cards right.

Summary

Also you can totally get the other students to marry each other.

4 Likes

GreedFall
Tags: Open World RPG, Adventure, Fantasy, Multiple Endings

Spoiler-Free Summary: Anyone that likes the Dragon Age series will probably like GreedFall, though the stories are completely different. Entire gameplay feels very similar to Dragon Age 2 and Dragon Age: Inquisition – a spiritual sequel to the former, and a spiritual prequel to the latter.

Not-Spoiler Free Discussion
GreedFall tells the story of De Sardet’s (the player-protagonist) adventures in the foreign, apparently newly discovered island of Tír Fradí (also Teer Fradee). The premise is, the main continent is plagued by an incurable disease dubbed the “Malichor,” and while the mainland may not possess a cure, perhaps this new country might. Imagine the classic, colonial “New World” explorations and native vs. foreigner vs. foreigner infighting conflicts, with a dash of romanticism and fantasy.

Main Factions

• The Congregation of Merchants: A prosperous nation ruled by merchant princes. In the war between Thélème and the Bridge Alliance, the Congregation maintains a strict neutrality – which is acknowledged and respected – and does business with both factions.
    • De Sardet: Within this faction, De Sardet is nobility and they serve as the Congregation’s Legate on Tír Fradí. Specifically, they are the child of the Princess de Sardet, and is the cousin of Constantin d’Orsay (son of the Prince d’Orsay).
  • Thélème: A monotheist nation headed by Cardinals and that adheres to the teachings of Saint Matheus. Its people specialize in magic, and its government does a fair bit of politicking. The Ordo Luminis is a militant order of inquisitors serving Thélème’s interests, though like all zealot factions, its enforcement practices – particularly against the Natives – tends to sweep common ethics and morality under the rug of their greater mission.
  • Bridge Alliance: A secular nation well-known for its scientific advancements. Its people disdain magic, and tend to approach events with a logical perspective. The Alliance is at open war with Thélème on the main continent, due to a difference in religious perspectives. On Tír Fradí, the Alliance discriminates against, exploits, and mordibly objectifies / animalizes the Natives, whom they deem savage yet strange curiosities.
    • Fuck the Bridge Alliance.
  • Coin Guard: A guild of mercenaries or protection-for-hire, with individual regiments employed by the Congregation of Merchants, Thélème, and Bridge Alliance on Tír Fradí. Maintains a professional front, but still susceptible to in-group politicking by ambitious groups.
  • Nauts: A guild of seafarers – the only people that know how to navigate the high seas. Hierarchically organized and culturally unique, with members being sea-born (born at sea) or sea-gifted (recruited from land, contractually or otherwise). Protects its seafaring trade with secrets and misdirection.
  • Natives: Also known as the Children of Tír Fradí, the original inhabitants of the island. Individual clans occupy specific territories and specialize in different skills (e.g. combat, healing, other magic), but speak a common language and are united in their inherent veneration for Tír Fradí. Most clans have ill experiences with the foreigners / “renaigse”.
    • Language: If there’s one thing that sets GreedFall apart from Dragon Age, it’s the development and execution of the Natives’s language. I seem to understand it takes inspiration from or actually is a real life, archaic language? Dragon Age has smatterings of a foreign Elvish, but GreedFall honestly takes it one step further with such elegant fluency.

Gameplay Experience

• Character Customization: De Sardet’s gender, appearance, and skills are customizable. Gender choice doesn’t have a significant impact on the game, other than changing what pronouns others refer to De Sardet by and which companions they’re able to romance. For appearances, the choices and limitations reminds me of Dragon Age: Origins or Dragon Age 2; definitely not as extensive as Dragon Age: Inquisition or as detail-oriented as JRPGs (e.g. FINAL FANTASY XXIV, CODE VEIN, Dragon’s Dogma: Dark Arisen, etc.). Also, unlike Dragon Age, and perhaps a little bit more like Dark Souls, De Sardet’s attributes, skills, and talents aren’t locked into specific “classes” – the player is free to invest points in any direction they’d like, and hybrid builds with a diverse range of skills and talents are encouraged.
  • Combat: Not as speedy, fluid, or flashy as Dragon Age 2’s (which I found fun, even if it was unrealistic). Rather, the combat mechanics remind me of Dragon Age: Inquisition’s clunkiness, with maybe a bit of Dark Souls thrown in (Dark Souls mechanics, not Dark Souls difficulty). Stamina and mana use and conservation, and blocking / dodging are especially important. Subsequently makes potion crafting and weapons upgrades useful.
  • Open World: Significantly more open than Dragon Age 2, but less open than Dragon Age: Inquisition – just right, IMO. Inquisition had too much world space, to the point that some maps felt like meaningless filler content. GreedFall’s map completion is loosely tied to a camp establishment side quest (and act like Skyrim’s teleport-able checkpoints / landmarks), and there’s only one collectible side quest. Thankfully, both aren’t too frustrating to complete – at least, for players that are thorough in their explorations. Completing or neglecting either of the side quests doesn’t appear to affect the game’s ending.
    • Banter: While GreedFall’s maps are comparatively smaller than Inquisition’s, Inquisition alleviates some of that exploration boredom with banter between the party’s companions. By contrast, that banter (and bonding moment between companions / De Sardet) is noticeably absent from GreedFall.
  • Dialogue Choices: Rather than a dialogue wheel (like the Dragon Age series), conversation is selected from a list of leading sentences (like the Fallout series). Apart from that difference, dialogue mechanics are otherwise almost incredibly identical to Dragon Age’s – perhaps even borrowing the same voice actors? Some dialogue choices or quest outcomes will affect a faction’s or a companion’s reputation with De Sardet, and the game will explicitly display any reputation changes (after the choice, of course).
    • Female De Sardet: I did notice, playing as Female De Sardet, that sometimes spoken or subtitled dialogue would mistakenly refer to my character as He / Him. The cases are few and far between, but it does throw a wrench into the otherwise immersive experience.
  • Story / Questline: Feels somewhat detached. Most quests are relevant to the main story, or provide additional insight into GreedFall’s lore (DLC falls into the latter category). The story remains serious, and meaningless filler content (fetch quests, collection quests) is kept to a minimum. As a result, though, there’s very little focus on De Sardet’s and their companions’ lives and relationships beyond the main plot – all business, no downtime. For my experience, I found the Natives’s questline entirely more intriguing than Thélème’s and the Bridge Alliance’s. Quests for the Coin Guard’s and the Nauts’s were alright, but might’ve needed a bit of spoiler knowledge (or plain serendipity) for the “best” outcome.
    • Fuck the Bridge Alliance.
  • Multiple Endings: Not as extensive as the Dragon Age series, feels more akin to the Fallout series – the epilogue ends up being a slideshow of how each faction and each companion fares after the game ends. AFAIK, there’s really only 5 major outcomes, which are largely dictated by the player’s choices at certain parts of the main quest, and also influenced by De Sardet’s reputation with the island’s five factions + their companions.

:thinking:
I think I’ll put GreedFall on my Favorites List. :grin:
The similarities between GreedFall and Dragon Age 2 / Dragon Age: Inquisition are uncanny, and I think I genuinely enjoyed the game. I do wish that De Sardet and their companions got a little bit more content, though. Banter, gifts, quests, dates, such and such. Ah, well.

Would be very excited for a sequel, should that ever happen.

Oh, and fuck the Bridge Alliance.

3 Likes

Preordered Forza Horizon 5 and have not regretted it one single bit.

This game’s actually quite a bit tougher than 4 ever was, right from the get-go. Honestly impressive. This game is also heavier on your hardware than 4 ever was, too; I could lock pretty easily to 1440p60 in FH4 at like high/ultra, but not here: I tend to tumble to the low 40s when there’s a lot of cars on-screen. Still, there’s a lotta leeway to make the game run as you want it to.
The map in of itself is absolutely gorgeous and amazing. WAY better of an environment than Britain was in FH4. It’s also way bigger of a map than Britain was, which makes the boss races considerably longer than they were in the previous game.
Interestingly the car roster is considerably smaller in this game compared to FH4 at launch. This actually has an interesting side effect of the car list not feeling as bloated as it was in the prior game, which I’m glad for. Nothing’s more irritating than 37 models of one car that have minute differences.

This game was worth the $60 I spent to pre-order it, 100%. I easily woulda thrown down the $100 for the Ultimate Edition had I known it was gonna be this good.

5 Likes

Black.

Released for the PlayStation 2 and the Xbox back in early 2006, this was Criterion’s pet project that they pushed forward with while developing the Burnout series. This FPS is rather unique in that its gameplay is very much built around the guns, its visuals and its audio direction, rather than aiming for a cohesive campaign. It… well, it’s definitely an experience, for sure. I like it.
This would also serve as the penultimate game for RenderWare, as Criterion would move on from it for their next title, Burnout Paradise. A whole lot of the tech in this game is very much borrowed from the Burnout games, but a fair bit of it has been changed up to adapt from a fast-paced racing game to a much slower-paced first-person shooter. It pays off, honestly, because in many ways, this is still a good looking game. There’s a lavish amount of environment, texture and weapon detail given the platform this was built around - and by this point, you can tell Criterion had an iron grip on how to work with and around the PS2’s limitations.
And as I mentioned, this game sounds good. This game sounds really good. Not for a game from 2006. For ANY game. Nothing sounds crappy. There’s attention to detail in the audio that even modern games don’t really do well - like directional footsteps and fitting ambience. If you have good headphones - or a good speaker setup, PLEASE play this game. You really won’t regret it at all. If you play the Xbox version (or that version on an Xbox One or Series console), you can also get a proper 5.1 channel mix from this game, too.

If you’re interested in pre-CoD4 FPS games but don’t really care for most console shooters, please give this a try. You might just like it.

6 Likes

Mass Effect - Legendary Edition (Mass Effect 1 / Mass Effect 2 / Mass Effect 3)
Tags: Sci-Fi RPG, Choices Matter, Multiple Endings, Third-Person Shooter, Cinematic (ME2 / ME3)

Brief Summary
2183 CE.

Humanity has discovered that it’s not alone in the galaxy, and has made a headway into integrating themselves into the galactic community. The Milky Way basks in a tenous peacetime. Yet, out of sight and just out of reach, an age-old, cataclysmic threat lingers in the hidden depths of dark space. Only one soldier has seen the visions and knows they’re coming.

Mass Effect centers on Commander Shepard, a soldier of humanity’s Systems Alliance, and their fight against a mythical, larger-than-life threat to the entire galaxy. The journey is long and ardous, the path runs through hell and back, and the odds are almost impossible.

You’ve a small ship, a loyal crew, and a little bit of luck on your side.

Go save the galaxy.

Blatant Bias
Bluntly, the Mass Effect series is up on my list of favorite games of all time.

It’s been 10+ years since I first touched Mass Effect (I still remember that that lil’ internet café in Malaysia, rebranded several times by now), and I’ve replayed the game(s) so many times I’ve lost count.

The trilogy-spanning lore and continuity is great; not as flawless or as deep as other fantasy series, but nonetheless still meaningful. Gameplay from ME2 and ME3 vastly improves from prior games, is impactful and engaging. But what reels me in, every single playthrough, are the companions. That inspiring loyalty and heartwarming camaraderie between Commander Shepard and their crew. Gotta play it – gotta play all three games – to experience it and understand it.

I have favorite characters, but so do others, and I’m not here to fight tooth and nail over headcanons discuss favorites.

Just know there’s 10+ years’ worth of bias and nostalgia clouding my opinions.

Gameplay Impressions

Mass Effect 1 (First Released: 2007): World Exploration

• Graphics mostly have a dull sheen, or a clay-like texture to them. The majority of human faces look like ass.
  • Story consequences are primarily centered on Shepard’s reputation-check choices.
  • Total time is split about 20% for main missions, and 80% for side missions.
  • Companions’ influences over the ME1 storyline is minimal, though some can die permanently.
  • Ease of combat is mainly dictated by gear and weapons, less so by powers and strategy.
  • Classes have specific skillsets and gear / weapon restrictions.
  • Skills are a balance of active combat powers, passive bonuses, and passive exploration checks (e.g. Electronics, Decryption).
  • Minigames to unlock containers / doors can be tedious. Omni-gel can bypass most of the locks.
  • World exploration and hunting for collectibles can be tedious for completionists.
  • The Mako is slow as molasses and has garbage-tier maneuverability.
  • Boosting and sprinting is limited by a stamina gauge.

Mass Effect 2 (First Released: 2010): Action-Adventure

• Vast improvement in textures compared to ME1. Human faces look less like ass.
  • Story consequences are primarily centered on Shepard’s reputation-check choices, as well as choices carried over from ME1’s main / side missions.
  • Total time is split about 25% for main missions, 50% for companion missions, and 25% for side missions and DLCs.
  • Shadow Broker DLC is the most satisfying mission in ME2 (IMO). It goes into depth regarding a certain companion’s adventures, motivations, and significant character development between ME1 and ME2.
  • Companions have more unique dialogue and more influence over the ME2 storyline. All companions are at risk of dying permanently, if certain conditions aren’t met.
  • Combat is more reliant on powers, strategy, and covers.
  • Inventory system has been discarded for a fixed selection of gear, weapons, and passive upgrades. Certain weapons have unique combat mechanics.
  • Classes have specific skillsets and weapon restrictions.
  • Skills are mostly active combat powers, with some passive bonuses. Passive exploration checks have been discarded.
  • Minigames to unlock containers / doors are less tedious than ME1’s, but can no longer be bypassed.
  • World exploration has been discarded. Collectible-hunting has been replaced by hunting for research upgrades / new weapons.
  • The Hammerhead has decent speed and maneuverability, but paper-thin durability.
  • Boosting and sprinting is limited by a stamina gauge.

Mass Effect 3 (First Released: 2012): Action-Adventure

• Some improvement in textures compared to ME2. Human faces look less like ass. Human hands look like untextured blocks of ass.
  • Story consequences are primarily centered on Shepard’s reputation-check choices, as well as choices carried over from ME1 and ME2’s main missions. Many side missions or character reappearances are influenced by choices carried over from ME1 / ME2’s side missions.
  • Game endings are influenced by War Assets, accumulated throughout ME3, but the availability of which is influenced by choices carried over from ME1 and ME2.
  • Total time is split about 45% for main missions, 55% for side missions and DLCs.
  • Citadel DLC is satisfying for sentimental players. Good mix of lighthearted, comedic, and heartwarming content with Shepard’s companions.
  • Extended Cut DLC adds a tad more content to the endgame mission, but doesn’t change the any of the ending outcomes.
  • Companions do not have individual loyalty missions, but retain unique dialogue. Companion reappearances are dictated by their survival from ME1 / ME2. A minimum of 3 companions will always accompany Commander Shepard until the end of ME3.
  • Combat is more reliant on powers, strategy, and covers.
  • Retains and expands upon ME2’s fixed selection of gear, weapons, passive upgrades, as well as new weapon mods. Certain weapons continue to have unique combat mechanics.
  • Classes have specific skillsets. Weapon restrictions have been discarded.
  • Skills are mostly active combat powers, with some passive bonuses.
  • No passive exploration checks, no minigames to unlock containers / doors.
  • No world exploration. Retains ME2’s hunting for research upgrades / new weapons, as well as new weapon mods.
  • No ground vehicles to drive.
  • Sprinting is unlimited, no longer limited by a stamina gauge.

Legendary Edition vs. Legacy Games
AFAIK, Legendary Edition was only a graphical overhaul, and “overhaul” is a bit of an exaggeration. A few tiny HUD tweaks here, a swapped model there, but overall, I hardly noticed any visual improvements during the actual gameplay. Then again, I’m only playing at 1920 x 1080 / 2560 x 1440 (before / after the main monitor swap ). I hear the visual overhaul is more impressive on 4K screens.

Humans still look like ass in Legendary Edition’s ME1, though. :joy:

Most of the bugs and annoyances that were present in the original releases for all three games were also present in the Legendary Edition.

• [ME1 / ME2] The infamous Conrad Verner bug.
    • An unofficial mod exists to fix and restore Conrad Verner’s content.
    • Players may also opt to settle for ME3’s in-game explanation and dismissal of said bug.
  • [ME1 / ME2 / ME3] Shepard equipping the M-8 Avenger / M-3 Predator in cutscenes, rather than their loadout weapons.
  • [ME1] Can’t save the game near doors or in elevators.
  • [ME1] Mako still controls like a brick. Takes a bit of button-mashing to upright the vehicle if it’s been flipped over.
  • [ME1] Getting locked out of the Armistan Banes side mission if Admiral Kohaku leaves the Citadel.
  • [ME3] Spoken dialogue abruptly being cut off. Subtitles show the full dialogue line.
  • [ME3] (PC Only) Swivelling monitors in Liara’s cabin that track Shepard’s rotational direction.
  • [ME3] Shepard and Liara’s heads tracking Glyph in a certain dialogue.
  • [ME3] Unskippable Starchild dialogue. Ugh.

And, while not specifically a bug, there’s been zero changes to companion and enemy AI. Especially noticeable in ME1.

On a more positive note, the Legendary Edition is by far a better deal compared to purchasing every Mass Effect game and their DLCs individually. For $29.99 (oft-discounted price), all three games are included, as well as almost all their DLCs – save for Mass Effect 1’s Pinnacle Station (though there exists an unofficial mod that restores that content).

Closing Comments
IMO, ME3 > ME2 > ME1.

While ME2 was immensely game-changing, especially compared to ME1, I’m a larger fan of ME3’s crew (Liara, Garrus, Tali, EDI) and more fluid combat.

Playing through the entire series has always been worth it to reach ME3.

If the Mass Effect series isn’t already in your collection, I’d highly recommend getting the Legendary Edition. If the Legacy (OG) games are already there, though, I’d recommend against it; there’s no additional content you’re missing out, not even many bug fixes, and only some minor graphical tweaks.

Only Complaint about ME3

Javik is a such a broken record, whiny bitch, and Debbie Downer.
Hey, I get it. Last of your race n’ all. Wake up 50,000 years later into a new galaxy.

Just. Shut.

I don’t want to hear another damn breath about “back in my cycle,” or us being “primitive aliens,” or “war, war, war,” or your technophobic / xenophobic views on “the machines,” or whatever other atrocities your people committed that I’m supposed to be impressed by.

Who’s actually doing shit to kick the Reapers out from this galaxy?
That’s right, the primitives.
Not your 50,000-year long-dead empire.

the up fuck.

5 Likes

I agree with everything that has been said !

2 Likes

Mass Effect: Andromeda
Tags: Open World, Sci-Fi RPG, Choices Matter, Third-Person Shooter

Brief Summary
Heleus Cluster, Andromeda Galaxy.
600 years later, and 2.5 million light-years away from 2183 CE Milky Way.

100,000 or so hopefuls depart from the Milky Way under the Andromeda Initiative, expecting to set down their roots in a distant galaxy. Human. Asari. Turian. Salarian. Krogan. Each has their own reason for coming; moving on from bad roots and turning over a fresh leaf, finding a new place in a new community, the excitement of charting and investigating the unknown. The “Golden Worlds,” new colony worlds for each species, have already been identified. It’s only a matter of getting there.

As if things were ever so simple.

Between inhabitable worlds, dwindling supplies, Arks adrift, a new hostile race, and a mysterious phenomenon only known as the Scourge, the journey seems all for naught. Hope, lost. Dreams, shattered.

But, this is Andromeda. The promise of a whole new galaxy.
Who know what else you could find, hidden away beneath the surface?

And you, as Pathfinder Ryder, have a team of pioneers with you, willing to venture however far out, willing to do whatever it takes, all to see the dream come to life.

The Andromeda Initiative was always going to be a one-way trip.
There’s no going back.
It’s up to the Pathfinder to bring these people home.

Mass Effect: Andromeda vs. Mass Effect Trilogy
The general consensus is that Mass Effect: Andromeda doesn’t quite match up to the Mass Effect Trilogy. Ask me for my opinion two or three years ago, right after my first playthrough, and I would have agreed wholeheartedly. Recently, though, I finished ME:A (as well as ME:1/2/3), and I think my perspective’s changed.

There’s a bit more to it than a simple “it’s a disappointing sequel.”

ME:A is more comparable to ME1 than either ME2 or ME3, and I think the intent was to be a spiritual successor or an homage to the original Mass Effect. The whole premise of Andromeda is exploration, which it even executes in a manner much like ME1.

• Explorable regions are locked to a relatively square grid, with mission markers, and mineral nodes, and other points of interest pinpointed on the map.
  • Environmental hazards (radiation, high temp / fires, low temp / cold, toxicity) and an inventory system for gear and armor, both previously absent in ME2 and ME3, make a return.
  • The Nomad handles like a faster and more maneuverable Mako, but lacks guns. Though, research upgrades can give it other passive advantages in both combat and exploration.

I would argue that comparing ME:A to ME2 or ME3 is largely meaningless. Even if ME:A, ME2, and ME3 do share a similar foundation of lore, that’s still pitting different game genres against one another; The emphasis of ME:A (and ME1) is World Exploration, and I’d say ME2 and ME3 is more Action RPG. The defining – and dividing – trait is linearity. ME:A grants Pathfinder Ryder the freedom to explore unknown stretches of land at their own leisure, while ME2 and ME3 funnels Commander Shepard into a linear progression of small map, after small map, after small map. The gameplay execution reflects the overall themes of each game – ME:A has players cautiously chart unknown territories, while ME2 and ME3 thrusts players right into the heart of the action. So, while Andromeda certainly has a different emphasis than ME2 / ME3, that quality doesn’t mean ME:A is intrinsically bad in comparison to those games.

There’s also the pre-existing history and returning characters that ME2 and ME3 is supported by – a rich pool of sentimentality and nostalgia to tap into – which Andromeda (and ME1) simply lacks because it’s the launch of a new concept.

I mean, personally, I still prefer ME3 over ME:A, but the key word here is prefer – personal preference. Though if you asked me which one was “a better game,” I wouldn’t be able to give a straight answer. They’re different games.

Straight answer. Pfft. :rofl:

TLDR: Assessing ME:A vs. ME1 is a fairly comparing two games within the same league. ME:A vs. ME2 / ME3 tends to boil down to personal preferences in genres and sentimentality.

Gameplay Impressions

• Graphics look very different compared to the Trilogy, but very similar to Dragon Age: Inquisition*. Character faces and textures seem realistic, sometimes uncannily so, if compared to Trilogy models. Reflections are particularly impressive. Shadows seem to be fixed to character models, so they can be hit-or-miss. Brightness adjustment is an interesting gimmick, but repeated instances are very straining on the eyes (e.g. Kadara caves, Elaaden desert).
    • Understandable, since ME:A and DA:I use E.A.'s Frostbite, while the Trilogy uses Unreal Engine 3.
    • Somehow, Humans look less like ass, and Asari look more like ass.
    • All Angara and Kett look like ass. Except for Behemoths, kinda badass.
  • Story consequences are primarily centered on Ryder’s decisions and narrative actions during main missions. Reputation-checks have been discarded.
  • Dialogue responses still shape personality, but the Morality System (Paragaon / Renegade) of the Trilogy has been discarded in favor of Tones (Emotional / Logical / Casual / Professional).
  • Total time is split about 25% for main missions, 15% for companion missions, and 60% for side missions.
  • Companions’ influences over the ME:A storyline is minimal. Companion have individual loyalty missions, and some unique dialogue / banter is present. No permanent character deaths.
  • Combat is equally reliant on gear and weapons, powers, and strategy. Covers are slightly more important than in ME1.
  • Classes, or “Training,” only dictate which skillsets are available from the very start of the game. All skills, gear, and weapons are available to all classes. Enough points invested in a skill category unlocks “Profiles” that offer passive combat bonuses.
  • Up to three skills may be equipped per Profile, and up to four Profiles may be set. Different Profiles may be instantaneously switched to mid-combat.
  • Gear, weapons, and weapon mods retain and expands upon the Trilogy’s selection. Certain weapons and weapon mods have unique combat mechanics.
  • Collected resources may be used to craft new gear, weapons, weapon mods, vehicle upgrades, and other miscellaneous items.
  • Minigames to unlock certain containers or consoles consist of a 4 × 4 or 5 × 5 Sudoku puzzle with unfamiliar symbols. All but one minigame may be bypassed with Remnant Decryption Keys.
  • Explorable regions are littered with opportunities for combat and side missions. Exploration is less boring compared to ME1’s empty tracts of land, but completing all objectives on a world is more time-consuming.
  • Boosting is limited by a stamina gauge. Sprinting is unlimited.

Meta Talk
Being set in an entirely new and uncharted galaxy, I expected more originality from Andromeda. There’s… way too many parallels between ME:A and the Trilogy.

• Kett are too much like the Protheans. Both the Kett and the Protheans were imperialists that imposed their authoritarian regimes on other species, expecting and demanding “subserviant” races to assimilate into their respective empires, or to face annihilation.
  • Kett are too much like Reapers. Both the Kett and the Reapers influence and steal from other species to propagate their numbers – the Kett through religious conversion and “exaltation,” and the Reapers through “indoctrination” and “harvesting.”
  • Remnant leave a similar legacy as the Protheans. Another race mysteriously left their ancient but extraordinarily advanced, extraordinarily incomprehensible knowledge and technology behind for future civilizations to take advantage of. Both types of ancient tech play incredibly consequential importance in turning the tide against an overwhelmingly powerful and overwhelmingly hostile race.
  • Aliens are, once again, too human-like to be “alien.” In Andromeda, both the Kett and Angara are bipedal and humanoid, have human facial features (eyes, nose, mouth, teeth), have all five human senses, and communicate through vocals and human-like expressions / emotions. In the Milky Way, sure, the majority of interactable races were bipedal – Asari, Turian, Quarian, Salarian, Krogan, Drell, Batarian, Volus, and Vorcha – but there were also the Hanar, Elcor, and Rachni that were somewhat unique.
  • Humans are, once again, the most prevalant race that the protagonist encounters. The lore-appropriate reasoning, I suppose, is that the Human Ark reached the Nexus first, and suffered the least casualities out of the five Arks.
  • The Nexus is basically the Citadel, with two arms instead of five. Another cylindrical, central hub for the galactic community.
  • The Collective is seems to be developing along the lines of the next Shadow Broker / Cerberus – different galaxy, same old information network with an unidentifiable leader that pulls strings from the shadows.
  • The Tempest is a mirror of the Normandy. Both are stealth-based ships built with state-of-the-art equipment. Hell, both of them have the same funnel-like shape. Though, the Tempest is a tad smaller, has more glass*, and doesn’t have any guns.
    • Sorry, it’s not glass, it’s “a clear oxide and nanofiber compound, that will bend rather than break.”
    • Granted, I do like the Tempest – it’s an incredibly shiny, incredibly beautiful ship. But if I’m going to hammer on ME:A’s lack of originality, I really can’t ignore that striking resemblance between it and the Normandy.
  • Another pivotal decision, very reminiscent of ME1’s Virmire, presents itself during the Hunting the Archon mission. Save the Pathfinder, or save the Krogan Scouts. Can’t save both.
  • Certain characters in Andromeda remind me of certain characters in the Trilogy.
    • Avela and ME1’s Liara are both archaeologists and share that bubbly, intrinsically curious, romanticizing-history energy.
    • Jaal is a bit like ME1’s Garrus. If the one-eyed visor isn’t enough, both also join the protagonist being uncertain of their place in the military organization they originally signed up with, but have the buddings of a compassionate and reliable team leader.
    • Drack is Wrex, but in his grandfather years.
    • Cora is like a biotic Ashley, with less ass in her attitude.
    • Liam might be a more reckless Jacob.
    • ME:A has Suvi and Gil as the Token Gays. ME3 has Samantha and Steve as the Token Gays.
  • ME:A inverts the Trilogy’s color scheme a bit. Pathfinder Ryder’s Initiative armor is white-and-blue, and the Tempest is accented with red. Commander Shepard’s N7 armor is black-and-red, and the Normandy is accented with blue.

Andromeda does introduce some new things, or takes a departure from the Mass Effect Trilogy in some other ways, though:

• Family is one of the major story themes. Many that signed up for the Andromeda Initiative brought family members along, and often discuss them. Reasons for joining, hopes for the future, drawing emotional strength. Some characters in the original Trilogy might mention family, but Andromeda references this theme more frequently, and more meaningfully.
  • Artificial Intelligence takes a center – more importantly, beneficial – stage to Andromeda Initiative missions, compared to the way it’s viewed with much apprehension and distrust, or simply seen as hostile entities, in the Milky Way. Of particular note is SAM, the partner A.I. that accompanies and is directly connected to each Pathfinder.
    • Andromeda Initiative ⇒ A.I. ⇒ Artificial Intelligence. Intentional or not, I felt sooo clever for figuring that out. :rofl:
  • Vault escape sequences are always exhilarating. They’re very significant to the Andromeda storyline, but thus far there’s been no grounded, determinate explanations regarding them (or any Remnant tech, for that matter).
  • The Scourge being a possibly galaxy-wide menace / phenomenon that targets Remnant technology is a fresh and an interesting concept.
  • Jump-Jets add a new layer to general navigation, and they’re featured prominently in cutscenes as well.
    • Contrast with Biotics, which characters tend to not take advantage of – especially in cutscenes. It’s powerful enough to lift people, deflect bullets, warp steel, and reave minds, yet when someone’s falling (e.g. Citadel II, Thessia) or an enemy target’s about to escape (e.g. Mars, Citadel II), suddenly no one remembers that Biotics could catch someone or hold them in stasis?

Companions & Crew
Some notes on the crew. Most of them are well-liked, a few personalities clash with mine, but hey, opinions could still change.

• Liam (Human, Crisis Specialist): Half the time, I want to boot Liam from the team. Decently amicable personality, but approaches events with a too casual and very reckless attitude. I don’t know how he managed to talk Jaal into stripping naked with him. And then having the both of them present themselves like that in front of Ryder. It’s… not as sexy as it sounds, they were just talking about armor.
  • Cora (Human, Biotic Commando): Somewhat of a foil to Liam, Cora’s all professional. Idolizes the Asari. Constantly brings up her being Ryder Sr.'s second, and the initial expectations for her to be the next Pathfinder. Andromeda dashes quite a lot of her expectations.
  • Vetra (Turian, Drifter Mercenary): Shrewd with her business, loyal to her friends, honest with her feelings. Doesn’t really know how to relax. Hella cute? Very capable and reliable in the field and for behind-the-scenes operations. Less capable in the downtime, but it’s the thought that counts. What a sweetheart.
  • Drack (Krogan, Veteran Warrior): Most wholesome, big ol’ grump, ever. Acts very blasé towards fighting and surviving and dying, but cares more than he shows for the crew. That moment when Drack finds a new reason for living, instead of simply coasting by the day-to-day, is possibly the most endearing scene in Andromeda.
  • Peebee (Asari, Rogue Academic): A rollercoaster. Can’t sit still, crashes into places, drags people into all sorts of trouble with her. Starts off very non-committal, keeping everyone at arm’s length. Eventually grows more comfortable with the crew. Might be interested in Jaal?
  • Jaal (Angara, Resistance Fighter): On first contact, Jaal seems a bit green and idealistic compared to the rest of the passive-aggressive Angara. Eager to please, open-minded and very friendly towards the crew, laughs easily. Careful with his words, doesn’t like to cause offense. Might be interested in Peebee?
  • Lexi (Asari, Tempest Doctor): Bit of a workaholic. I want to hug her? And maybe share a drink with her. She cares so much for the crew’s mental and emotional (and physical) health, sometimes it turns into too much worrying. Sliiightly peeved that she isn’t romantically available.
  • Kallo (Salarian, Tempest Pilot): Friendly with the crew, and surprisingly sentimental. Significantly less snarky compared to ME1’s Joker. Constantly butts heads with Gil. Sexual tension?
  • Suvi (Human, Science Officer): For being the ship’s Science Officer, Suvi also spends a lot of time as the Tempest’s Co-Pilot. Like Kallo, she’s quite friendly. Quite religious, too, but not in the conventional sense.
  • Gil (Human, Technical Officer): The kind of wishy-washy, ambiguous-with-words character that I have zero patience for and stay away from IRL. Easily adapts to new situations. Constantly gets on Kallo’s nerves. Sexual tension?
  • SAM (A.I.): The Pathfinder’s partner in the field and other missions. Approaches new encounters with calm, logical, and professional reasoning. Tends to be the unintentional deadpan tsukkomi (straight man) to Ryder’s sarcastic boke (funny man) (Read: Manzai). Tries to work on his humor, but might need some lessons from EDI. Almost like a brother to Ryder?

Mass Effect: Andromeda Speculation

• NPC Ryder was relegated to the sidelines in ME:A due to the coma, so I’m hoping they take a more active role – possibly as a companion – in the sequel(s). Kinda more interested in seeing whether BioWare will ship them with anyone.
    • I’m going to be very disappointed if BioWare goes the sibling rivalry route. It’s so overdone. They tried it in Dragon Age II with Carver, who is still the single most insufferable PITA in that game.
  • Ellen Ryder waking up from cryo-sleep, being intensely disappointed that she’s still alive. From the snippets Pathfinder Ryder’s seen, Ellen seems to have come to terms with her death. Alec sorta… totally trampled over all that, by sticking her unconscious body in cryo without her knowledge? Also, imagine the irony of the terminally ill mother that’s alive, and the father that fought against her illness being dead.
    • Eh, maybe speaking with a bit of personal prejudice. I don’t see Pro-Life as an inherently good, inherently justifiable explanation to keep someone alive, especially if the person’s already made their peace and extending their lifespan firmly runs contrary to their wishes.
    • Comparison: Commander Shepard being resuscitated is justifiable, since they have unfinished business and has the motivation to keep living and to finish the Reaper War. Ellen Ryder being preserved for a while longer in cryo-sleep is ethically dubious, since it was done entirely without (and very likely against) her informed consent.
  • The Benefactor as the Shadow Broker? Not specifically Liara, since the Benefactor seems to have set plans into motion well before the events of Shadow Broker DLC. Though, I imagine that once Liara assumed control of the Shadow Broker’s position, it would’ve been a very simple matter to continue the facade, given the entire smoke-and-mirrors around both the Benefactor’s and Shadow Broker’s identities.
    • Here’s a thought – one of the last Milky Way messages Ryder Sr. receives is one from Liara, in which she describes the progress with the Reaper War, the very likely possibility of extinction in the Milky Way, and leaves a final, hopeful wish for the Andromeda Initiative’s success. I’d say that Liara, now the Shadow Broker, was more attached to – or invested in – the Andromedia Initiative than initially thought?
  • Still haven’t seen the “Mass Effect” in Mass Effect: Andromeda. Back in the original series, “Mass Effect” specifically referenced the ubiquitious mass effect relays that were used for FTL travel between clusters. Andromeda doesn’t seem to have been populated by mass effect tech – thus far. What if the Andromeda Initiative, with it’s state-of-the-art tech, was able to recreate the mass effect relays? Or, an even more exhilarating thought, what if 600 years was enough for the remnants () of the Milky Way’s civilizations to study and create their own mass effect relay that could act as a bridge between the two galaxies?
  • Primus is going to be a pain in the rear end in the next game.
  • Possibly Reyes, too. Every single companion is saying don’t trust the guy, and if there’s anything I’ve picked up from BioWare games, it’s listen your companions.
    • Apparently Ashley / Kaidan didn’t pick up this memo. I’m still salty over Horizon, bitch.
  • Assuming it lives, that genocidal / suicidal Angara AI is going to bite someone in the ass.
  • I’m anticipating an Angara vs. Kett decision in the Andromeda sequel(s). At certain points in ME:A, there were options to spare or work with named Kett (e.g. Cardinal, Primus), which leads me to believe there’ll be more dealings with the Kett. And the Angara can’t get along with the Kett, so it’ll be either one or the other.
    • …I dislike the both of them? Can’t they both just feck off…?
  • Hate to say it, but I’m not convinced that Commander Shepard will be returning to the sequels. It’s been 600 years. There might be references to their heroics, but flesh-and-blood? Probably not. BioWare’s already played the “revived-and-back-from-the-dead” card in ME2. The other option would be to bend space-time, say that while it’s 2190 CE in the Milky Way, it’s 2790 CE in Andromeda? Feels like that’d get complicated, fast.
    • Liara, though, might – could – feasibly – possibly?! – make an appearance. Asari live up to 1000 years, and Liara’s only 109 in ME3. :eyes::sweat_drops:
  • Halfway through the game, I was wondering whether any Cerberus agents would make an appearance in Andromeda. Turns out, they take a very minor role in a side mission. And they’re only Cerberus offshoots / defectors, not actually working for the Illusive Man. Based off this, I’m guessing Cerberus isn’t going to be a huge thing in Andromeda.

Closing Comments
Anyone that doesn’t think Mass Effect: Andromeda lives up to the Mass Effect legacy is judging a bit too harshly, I feel.

Well, of course a single game isn’t going to compete against a Trilogy’s worth of content and nostalgia.

Andromeda isn’t a game about continuation, like Mass Effect 2, or a game about closure, like Mass Effect 3. It’s a game of firsts – an introduction, a foundation, a forerunner, which makes it more akin to Mass Effect 1. The theme here is world exploration and new discoveries, and alongside for the ride, new companions and new memories to create. Essentially, the purpose is the same as the Pathfinder’s – to clear the path in an unfamiliar, unwelcome environment, and to lay the groundwork for the future.

The key takeaway from ME:A is that this is just the start of a new series.
It’s absolutely got the potential for a brilliant storyline.

If Andromeda’s sequel delivers in the same way that ME2 and ME3 absolutely nailed it as ME1’s sequels, then I’m hella stoked for it.

Apparently, another Mass Effect’s already in the works.
Better not be a mobile game.

If that is who I think it is.
I can’t wait.

I’m going to laugh my ass off if they call it ME:B.
Like, Mass Effect: Benefactor.
Imagine. ME1/2/3. ME:A-B-C.
I reeeaaally hope BioWare has more naming sense than that. Please. :joy:

2 Likes

So, once again, I agree with everything you said. Though I think they discarded any ME:A sequels (they didn’t even update the bugs or released the planned DLCs :sad:). This Mass Effect trailer we can see who you think it is and I’m pretty sure it’ll be a ME:3 sequel.

2 Likes