Beaudry Loop
Time at Start: 7:15 AM
Time at Return: 9:50 AM

AllTrails Route: Beaudry Loop

Total Distance: 6.0 mi
Elevation Gain: 1,500 ft

Generic Scenery Photos:

Cloudy, lazy morning in Glendale. :grin:
Weather was consistently cool and humid throughout the hike. About an hour in, the cloud / fog ate the mountainside. Visibility was still decent, could see in a maybe 20 - 30 m (65 - 100 ft?) radius. Lots of fresh dew dripping off the local fauna.

Trail was lightly populated. IDK if the entrance had anything to do with it:

Fire Danger - Critical

: [Staring at board in confusion, about to leave.]
:running_man::running_man:: [Casually walks past gate.]
:
: …
:
: [Follows peepos past the gate.]

Okies, but I would have turned around if I wasn’t certain the weather would be cool. Safety first, blah blah blah? Checked the forecast the day before, tho, and was fairly confident temps would stay under 70°F (21°C).

Might come back here with friendos, on another cool day. :thinking:
Trail’s plenty wide, inclines aren’t excessively steep, and views should be decent (if it isn’t cloudy) – more or less “safe” in my book.

7 Likes

Coolidge to Vista Del Valle to Hogback to Riverside Loop
Time at Start: 6:50 AM
Time at Return: 8:30 AM

AllTrails Route: Coolidge to Vista Del Valle to Hogback to Riverside Loop

Total Distance: 4.5 mi
Elevation Gain: 970 ft

1 - AllTrails route says to take the southern trail at this crossroads. There was no crossroads, and I didn’t see a southern trail. :sweat_smile:
2 - This is not a trail.

Generic Scenery Photos:

Cool, Foggy Morning
Ah, yes. Stunning view.
Pretty much the scenery throughout the entire hike, hence the lackluster photos. :joy:

Skipped out on an entire western section of this loop because I couldn’t find the route southwards. A little bit bummed, but today I just wanted to make it back home by 10 AM, rather than get the distance + elevation gains – already made lunchies + home visit plans with a friendo (new roommate! ).

Home tour started at 12:30-ish PM.
Ended at 5:00 PM.

It’s not even a big house. :joy:
Not the friendo / new roommate’s fault. A lot of the time ended up being spent cleaning stuff. Landlady = my godmother impromptu started cleaning out the dusty room, then started cleaning up other areas of the house.:dedbodi:

I mean, I do like their company – new roommate seems like a quiet, reasonable person, and I have genuine respect and affection for my godmother – but, ughhh. :tired_face:

I am socially exhausted.
I’ll take 5 hours of hiking over 5 hours of people, pls.

4 Likes

Henninger Flats via Eaton Canyon Trail
Time at Start: 6:20 PM
Time at Destination: 7:50 PM
Time at Return: 9:30 PM

AllTrails Route: Henninger Flats via Eaton Canyon Trail

Total Distance: 6.7 mi
Elevation Gain: 1,650 ft

Generic Scenery Photos:

Sooo…
Someone thought it was a good idea to go hiking after work…?

Wanted to be faithful to my Saturday hikes, but had work (expecting to work on the weekends for the rest of this month :laughing:), so going in the morning was out of the question.

And worried about muscles atrophying if I deviated from a regular schedule.

Mm, well I thought I’d start the hike just before sundown, but erm.
Clearly I showed up late to that date. :derpdorp:

Thankfully brought a flashlight with me. I do have my phone, but it was down to 50% battery by the time I finished work, and I needed it for real-time navigation. Wanted to save the phone’s flashlight as a last resort.

The hike uphill was… an experience. :sweat_smile:

Pitch black silhouettes all around, a wobbly cone of sterile white light dancing over shadows, and – always in the distance – the hazy light pollution of the townscape below. Skin is cold, but it’s a welcome kinda chill. There’s constant music in my ear, to distract myself from the eerie environment; at random intervals, I hear a sudden fluttering (startled bird), or an out-of-place crackling (a falling rock). Closer to Henninger Flats, the trees become denser and there’s a familiar buzzing that I think comes from cicadas.

And amidst all of that, my brain’s trying to juggle physical exhaustion with zoning out just enough to avoid being spooked by my imagination, but focusing just enough to also not be spooked by actual occurences.

Being familiar with the Henninger Flats Trail was a giant boon. I knew where the rest stops / benches were, where the steep inclines and trenched-in paths were, and that certainty made it easier to pace myself and watch my footing. Landmarks were a comforting sight too, even if they were silhouetted.

I think I made decent time. Got up to the Flats in 1 hr and 30 min.
Found a bench to indulge in some onigiri dinner.
Switched off the lights for a sec.

Oddly, sitting in complete darkness, alone, with this view in front of me, alleviated all the uphill hike anxiety from my system.

Downhill was significantly easier. :grin:

Erm. I really wouldn’t recommend hiking after dark, unless:

• A friendo is tagging along.
  • The route is familiar.
  • The trail is well lit and wide.
  • Other friendos know what’s happening and are receiving periodic updates.
  • Bring a flashlight, and a spare flashlight.

[Insert I’ll Fuckin’ Do It Again Meme.]
:derpdorp:

Do as I say, not as I do. :joy:

7 Likes

Time at Start: 6:45 AM
Time at Destination: 8:15 AM
Time at Return: 9:30 AM

Total Distance: 7.4 mi

Generic Scenery Photos:

'Chew’s more of a morning person. More motivated early in the day than in the evenings.

After dark, my momentum drops off and I get drowsy and lethargic.

Past midnight, I start acting like I’m slightly inebriated. Lowered inhibitions, I mean. Sometimes I start doing weird stuff / getting jittery, my heart rate goes up(?), and there’s a higher chance of not being able to sleep through the night.

Anyways, mornings are nice. :grin:

5 Likes

Time at Start: 6:50 AM
Time at Destination: 8:30 AM
Time at Return: 10:00 AM

Total Distance: 8.2 mi

Generic Scenery Photos:

YES, I’VE GONE TO THE SAME PLACE THREE TIMES IN A ROW. :joy:

November - December’s pretty busy at my workplace, and that means my weekends aren’t particularly free. If I end up working on a Sat, I’m going to squeeze in a night hike somewhere, and I’d rather that place be Henninger Flats. And if my Sat morning happens to be free, I’d still rather visit someplace I feel comfy with, to offset the uncertain weekend schedule feeling.

Today’s weather was spectacular. A very cool 15 - 20°C / 60 - 70°F, and I absolutely love cold Californian days. :grin:

6 Likes

That view! SO JEALOUS!

UNDERSTANDABLE!

4 Likes

Time at Start: 6:15 PM
Time at Return: 9:30 PM

Total Distance: 6.6 mi

Generic Scenery Photo:

Dinner Photo:

…I need to pee.

7 Likes

That looks amazing

2 Likes

Time at Start: 6:45 AM
Time at Destination: 8:15 AM
Time at Return: 9:20 AM

Total Distance: 6.7 mi

Generic Scenery Photos:

Very cloudy day in LA today.
As far as the eye can see, even. :grin:

Also, :partyparrot::

5 Likes

ahhhhhhhhhh… I wish I could get that kind of view AND be outside lol. I’d have to take an elevator in a skyscraper.

3 Likes

Just get on the roof of the skyscraper, bam. outside.

1 Like

That’s what I meant.
These kinds of views hit different when you’ve earned them.
Seeing it from a rooftop you took an elevator to is cool once lol.

Getting to the top of the world on your own power and claiming your reward with your eyes. A whole different beast.

4 Likes

Time at Start: 6:40 AM
Time at Destination: 8:20 AM
Time at Return: 9:45 AM

Total Distance: 8.1 mi

Generic Scenery Photo:

> 6:00 AM
> Cold as balls outside.
> Warm, hearty soup at the top of my hike would be nice.
> No restaurants or fast food joints with soup open at 6:00 AM.
>
>

(Didn’t have the foresight to buy / make soup the day before.)

Anyway, I’m having soup now and .

6 Likes

Michael D. Antonovich Trail
Time at Start: 7:00 AM
Time at Return: 10:00 AM

AllTrails Route: Michael D. Antonovich Trail

Total Distance: 7.1 mi
Elevation Gain: 450 ft

Generic Scenery Photos:

Trail map is a bit messy ‘cos I maaaybe got lost took some detours here n’ there. :laughing:

Actually, some notes about this trail:

• Would highly recommend wearing waterproof bottom gear – boots, socks, pants. The trail runs through several streams with shin-deep water. Most streams have a rocky path to cross it by, but it’s still submerged beneath 1 - 2 inches of water.
  • Need some good balance and / or some patience with the rocky paths. It’d be very easy to sprain an ankle.
  • Extremely muddy. Cleaning the boots were not fun. :weary:
  • Probably would not come here in high summer. Luckily it was a drizzling / cold-ish morning today, and I didn’t encounter any bugs.

Also, I only completed about 95% of the trail.

I meeeaaan, I didn’t want to sink my feet into this:

(Ah, for last weekend – didn’t go hiking 'cos friendos and I had a sleepover. )

8 Likes

Puddingstone Reservoir & Brackett Field Perimeter Loop
Time at Start: 6:25 AM
Time at Return: 10:35 AM

AllTrails Route: Bonelli Perimeter Loop

Total Distance: 10.7 mi
Elevation Gain: 955 ft

Generic Scenery Photos:

明けましておめでとう! :parrotheart:
今年もよろしくお願いします。:grin:

7 Likes

Don’t think I don’t notice these getting better and better each time. :smirk:
'chew is coming for my job.

2 Likes

Hollyridge Trail to Hollywood Sign Viewpoint
Time at Start: 7:20 AM
Time at Destination: 8:30 AM
Time at Return: 9:40 AM

AllTrails Route: Hollyridge Trail to Hollywood Sign Viewpoint, Cahuenga Peak, and Burbank Peak

Total Distance: 6.0 mi
Elevation Gain: 900 ft

Generic Scenery Photo:

Hiked to the Hollywood Sign Viewpoint with roommate / friendo! :grin:

We, er, originally planned to visit the Viewpoint via the Hollywood Reservoir to Hollywood Sign route and I meant to take pretty pictures of the lake there, but.

The gate to the Hollywood Reservoir was locked.

Anyways.

Now when someone asks me if I’ve seen the Hollywood Sign, I can say I have.
Because everyone living in and around L.A. is apparently acquainted with Hollywood.
I hear it’s famous or something.

5 Likes

That’s like when people ask me about the touristy stuff. I’m like dude, no one who lives here has time for that lol.

3 Likes

Time at Start: 6:10 PM
Time at Return: 9:50 PM

Total Distance: 7.3 mi

Generic Scenery Photo:

East of L.A.
Let me tell you, Downtown L.A. is absolute garbage to drive through.
Roads are narrow, bumpy, and cracked to all hell. Not to mention, traffic. :joy:

Suburban L.A. is pleasant, though. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Random Scattered Thoughts:
First time hiking up to Henninger Flats this year, and I noticed the terrain’s changed. The previously dried-up stream that runs the length of Eaton Canyon Trail is flowing again; very nice ambience (风水 / feng shui, kek). Walnut Canyon Trail (the eastern path diverging from the first fork) has become considerably more trecherous, with trees and partly broken (read: collapsed) paths. On the main trail, though, one of the large crevices has been filled and is now safer to traverse. On all paths, there’s scattered rocks, trees, branches, and tumbleweed – presumably from the windy weather we’ve got going on right now.

Holy shit I can see stars.
Like, an actual handful of stars, not just two or three blips that could also ambiguously be satellites or airplanes. I’d have taken a photo of the spectacle, if my phone’s camera didn’t convert all that darkness into noise. Got a weird fascination with stars (and natural snow); never encountered them much in my childhood, so any first-hand experiences I get, I treasure. Might also have been influenced by books and anime. You know how it is, romanticism.

Blessed be, hot running water. I am always, always, always incredibly grateful for accessibility to simple necessities – especially readily available, hot, clean, running water.

Blessed be, orange juice. Need me something sweet after wearing my body out. :sweat_smile:

Garmin’s come out with a new fēnix 7 series. Seems like a fēnix 6 with a touchscreen (…eugh) and additional bloat I’ll never use. Although, I do like the physical design of the 7S / 7 over that of the 6S / 6. The reason Garmin’s fēnix watches interest me is the durability and AllTrails compatibility? Anything that goes on my wrist needs to stand up to the careless bruising I subject my hands to on the daily, and the AllTrails thing is just integrating with a familiar platform.

No hiking post last Saturday, 'cos I spent the day with friendos. :grin:
…They whooped my ass in Monopoly. :weary:

4 Likes

Eaton Canyon Trail
Time at Start: 6:25 AM
Time at Destination: 7:30 AM
Time at Return: 8:20 AM

AllTrails Route: Eaton Canyon Trail

Total Distance: 4.3 mi
Elevation Gain: 500 ft

Generic Scenery Photos:

Three shots above were taken at 6:30 AM, 6:40 AM, and 6:45 AM.
Amazing how much changes within a few minutes. :grin:

Taking it easy (ゆっくりしていってね!) with a shorter trail this time, 'cos I noticed my left foot being a bit uncooperative. :sweat_smile:

Foot Being Weird ⇒ Takes Rocky Trail.

IDK, my brain thought it was a good idea.
Wellp, still alive and unharmed. :derpdorp:

5 Likes