Plunger Man's Game Console Showoff (and Tell)

Think 15 fps whenever there are any enemies on screen, and enough slowdowns to make it feel like you’re playing the game in a crappy PS2 emulator on a 15-year-old computer.

3 Likes

furiously looks for a good condition copy of Shadow the Hedgehog for the PS2 on eBay

4 Likes

Fair warning that I might be exaggerating it a bit from memory. It’s been a while since I’ve played the game due to just how unplayable it is in spots.

There are a lot of slowdowns, but I don’t actually know what fps it drops to. It definitely feels significantly lower than 30, but 15 was just my best guess from memory

3 Likes

Looks like I’m gonna put Shadow the Hedgehog featuring Dante from the Devil May Cry Series on hold for now. 100% won’t be here to play it when it gets here just so I can be in awe of how mediocre it is.
Oh well, I’m sure failing to beat my records in Burnout Revenge will keep me company out on vacation.

3 Likes

Bought the red memory card off a friend for one dollarydoo. All the memory card are belong to me for the system I rarely use. The red one took over the teal card’s spot and is used for Ratchet & Clank, Jak & Daxter, and GT4. Blue holds everything else, black is just for FreeMcBoot, and obviously the teal is now unused.

5 Likes

So I just learned that this is a thing. All I can say is… I want one. Too bad they’re extremely rare and go for around $500 (or $1000 if you want it in the original box).

3 Likes

Oh man, obscure Sega console variants are really fun to go through. I still want a Hitachi Hi-Saturn, but I know that’s not a realistic goal.

4 Likes

Japanese (and one Korean) games!

6 Likes

This is now the most money I’ve ever paid for a single video game. $121.42 after shipping and tax. The seller was asking $120, but I managed to talk them down to $108. Believe it or not, that’s lower than the going price for the game according to PriceCharting. And to think not a year and a half ago it was going for $40… At least I managed to get my hands on a copy now before it spikes any higher. Considering this game was released the same year the Dreamcast was discontinued, there are a much more limited number of copies out there compared to other Dreamcast games. Hence the inflated price.

Now I need to get another VMU so I actually have space to store my saves for this game…

4 Likes

Woah… didn’t realize how expensive Sonic Adventure 2 got.
And all this time I thought GameCube collecting was fucking absurd. Apparently not if the Dreamcast is to go off of… then again, Ribbit King is a $300 game, for some reason.

3 Likes

Yeah, demand for Dreamcast consoles and games has gotten much higher over the past year or so. And for games released later in the console’s lifespan, it manifests itself through ridiculous prices like this. SA2 is one of my absolute favorite games though, so the price is worth it to me to be able to own the game on the console it was originally made for.

Honestly, I’d say Dreamcast game pricing is pretty equal compared to Gamecube games. Most settle in the $40-60 range, with only the more rare and desirable titles going for higher prices. SA2 was actually the most expensive game on my wishlist for the console, so it’s nice to have that one out of the way.

4 Likes

On an unrelated note, I’m just wondering if $40 is worth it for a complete copy of Shox…
Hmm…

4 Likes

Looks like a pretty fun arcade rally game. I’m kinda getting Sega Rally meets SSX Tricky vibes. I’d say go for it if it’s the type of game you’ll enjoy enough to warrant paying $40 for.

I might have to add that game to my list to buy some time as well. I love rally racing games, and this one definitely looks fun and unique.

4 Likes

…oh, that’s neat. The PS2 version of Shadow the Hedgehog is $20.
The GameCube and Xbox versions are like $30. Well, do I go for the worst-performer to revel in the fact that Sega fumbled the usefulness of RenderWare on the PS2 or do I get it on a console where it doesn’t run like shit?

3 Likes

If you’re buying the game to see how much of a dumpster fire it turned out to be, then I’d say get the PS2 version to make it that much worse.

If you’re actually interested in playing through the game for fun, get the Xbox or Gamecube version. The only reason I haven’t completed it myself is that the PS2 version is so painful to play. Hopefully, I’ll get the Xbox version sometime so I can actually enjoy the game.

4 Likes

I just noticed SEGA somehow managed to make the save files for Sonic Adventure 2 take up 198 of the 200 available blocks on a single VMU. Props to them for taking full advantage of the space at their disposal I guess? It’s honestly pretty crazy how quickly some Dreamcast games can eat through VMU space.

3 Likes

“We’re Sega in the Late 1990s. GO FUCK YOURSELF.”
Somehow that’s still more palatable than both Gran Turismo 4 and Tourist Trophy’s saves being like 3.5MB combined. I hope you have a memory card ready for those games.

3 Likes

Ouch. That’s a lot of space. I’ll have to keep that in mind whenever I finally get around to buying a copy of GT4. Somehow I’ve still managed to keep all my PS2 saves on one memory card. I haven’t checked how much space I have left in a while though.

3 Likes

On the note of save sizes… Burnout Revenge’s save size is fucking tiny, only 34KB.
Only one game gets close to that, at 14KB larger - that Transformers game from 2004.

3 Likes

One other game that gets close. The first Sly Cooper game comes in 1KB larger than the Transformers game at 49KB.

Also impressive that Burnout Revenge uses less save space than its predecessors.

3 Likes