Henninger Flats Trail
Time at Start: 5:55 AM
Time at Destination: 7:05 AM
Time at Return: 7:55 AM

AllTrails Route: Henninger Flats Trail

Total Distance: 5.7 mi
Elevation Gain: 1,400 ft

Signalis Mini-Article / Thoughts
Tags: Action Adventure, Psychological Horror, Sci-Fi, Third-Person Survival Horror, Yuri, Great Art Style, Great Soundtrack, Bittersweet Ending, Multiple Endings

Mini-article instead of a dedicated What new games are you playing? post, because (1) I haven’t actually played the game, only watched a playthrough of it, (2), there’s so many subjective and unexplained elements to the story I can’t present / approach it from an omniscient-like review standpoint, (3) it’s wriggled deep into my brain and I can’t get it out.

The ending made me cry. On three separate occasions. :weary:

Amnesiac protagonist explores a decrepit facility overrun with biomechanical humanoid horrors in search of their partner. Leftover media and the extremely few sane characters that still exist slowly and gradually reveal the story’s context and past memories. Reminds me of a Silent Hill x Resident Evil 2 x Dead Space cross-over.

Game’s art direction and plot development is phenomenal. Despite its PS2-like, polygon models and pixellated anime-like scenes, it delivers an extremely cinematic experience, with excellent use of show-not-tell accompanied by an absolutely beautiful soundtrack. Players have to glean tidbits of lore from the meaningfully-crafted environment and have read between the lines of every scrap of info to piece together the storyline, and even then, there’s still so many open interpretations and unsolved mysteries.

I’d absolutely spend money on it, but the survival horror and Silent Hill/Resident Evil-esque gameplay is holding me back. Never been good with those kinds of games, ugh.

The story is equal parts beautiful and heartbreaking. Highly recommend for those looking for a bit more yuri and a bit more emotional damage in their life, lol. :smiling_face_with_tear:

4 Likes