What new games are you playing?

Cyberpunk 2077
Tags: Open-World, Action-Adventure, Dystopian Future RPG, Choices Matter, Multiple Endings, Mature / Sensitive Themes, Sexually-Explicit Content, First-Person Shooter

Brief Summary
Night City, 2077.
The City of Dreams.

Skyscrapers, neon lights, and blinding holograms pierce the skyline of a city that never sleeps. In their pristine high-rise fortresses, corporate bureaucrats scheme for power and dominance on the backs of the wage-slaves they call employees. Far down below, under the long shadow of their social betters, gangs and mercenaries vie for control of the streets in wanton bloodshed. Each day is a fight for survival.

It’s here where legends are born: Adam Smasher, Rache Bartmoss, Johnny Silverhand.

For whatever circumstances, you – simply known as “V” – find yourself dragged into Night City’s vortex.

In the City of Dreams, it doesn’t matter who you are or how you got here, but where you end up.

Become a legend, or die trying.

General Impressions

• First-Person Perspective: V, the player character, is almost never seen in third-person, unless driving a vehicle, or in the inventory screen. Even cutscenes and dialogue are all from first-person POV. Slightly jarring experience, since character customization was heavily touted for Cyberpunk 2077 and you can’t see your character half the time, but I guess the player gets used to it eventually.
    • Facial Expressions: Being up close and personal means a lot of face-to-face, and facial expressions in Cyberpunk 2077 are arguably the most varied, the most subtle I’ve seen in a game. They’ve got body and facial language down pat.
  • Storyline: Avoiding spoilers – plot progression for main and side missions are gripping and emotive, with its fair share of twists and turns. Most are solo gigs, but sometimes companions come along for the ride. Sentimental feelings are built, broken down, then built back up again.
    • Choices Somewhat Matter: Most side missions have almost no impact on the game’s ending, except for those related to V’s friends and companions. Even the ending is simply selected from three (or four) dialogue options during the point of no return. It’s a very far cry from Mass Effect’s cumulative, trilogy-spanning, impactful choices; rather, think more along the lines of the Fallout series’ ending snippets.
  • World Building: Stellar. Everything is impressively rich, detailed, and immersive – from the physical cityscape’s design, to Cyberpunk 2077’s streetslang, to the veritable multi-lingual voice casting for main, side, and small-time mob characters.
    • Open World Urban Landscape: Night City has very many different facets – urban and futuristic on the one hand, slummy and underdeveloped on the other, and anything outside of that is wild country. Expansive world is on par with GTA / Saints Row / Sleeping Dogs, and the cyberpunk environment – the streetslang and cyberware technology, especially – constantly reminds me of the Shadowrun series.
    • Characters / Companions: The game features an incredibly diverse cast of characters – different races, different accents (), different identities, different preferences, different ethics / morals, different stories, all. Whitewashing? Nooone of that. The people of Night City feel so alive.
    • Text Messages: Simply banter between V and their friends, but they really do add so much life to the game.
    • Music: I’m sure it’s great, but I always turned the radio off (listening to my own music and streams, m’kay?). The song in the ending credits – “Never Fade Away” covered by Olga Jankowska – is the one exception, I suppose. Good stuff.
  • Unadulterated Adult Themes: Sensitive topics like suicide, off-screen rape (forced, coerced), abuse (child, drug, sexual), predation (child, organs, sexual), slavery, poverty, gang violence, etc. are portrayed seriously in a dystopian setting and are the main narrative for certain missions. Simply be warned.
  • Sexually Explicit Content: The most explicit content I’ve seen from a vanilla (i.e. unmodded) mainstream game, though there are options in the settings to turn them off. More specifically, there’s first-person POV of the main character having sex, explicit nudity in character creation and during cutscenes, and sexual memorabilia and sexually suggestive advertisements on full-display.
    • Censored Content: I haven’t toggled it to find out what exactly is censored. …Why would I?
  • Immersion Disrupting Bugs: Honestly? Not too many, or trivial enough to dismiss. For quest progression-related bugs, I managed to bypass those by restarting the game. Some missions depend on in-game time (i.e. wait long enough for the quest giver to contact the player), so for those I simply killed time doing NCPD scanner hustles. For T-posing / weird character animations, I’ve only encountered that once, and never again. YMMV.
    • Tip: Still, I’d say save often, and save in different slots. Cyberpunk 2077 auto-saves are very plentiful, but only go back so far.
    • Opinion: For the naysayers – look, Fallout: New Vegas has more bugs than Cyberpunk 2077, okay? :joy:

Gameplay

• Attributes / Skills: Attributes provide a permanent buff to relevant skills, and if the minimum requirements are met, can unlock additional dialogue choices and other in-game interactions (e.g. bypassing doors, overriding turrets). Most skills are centered around combat, directly buffing the player’s abilities (e.g. stronger attacks, more health / stamina) or unlocking new combat interactions (throwing knives, aerial takedowns). With enough min-maxing in particular trees, combat becomes a cakewalk. :grin:
    • Leveling: Apart from investing discrete points into attributes / skills, individual skills gain more experience the more the player uses them – a little bit like Oblivion / Skyrim’s leveling system (without the efficient leveling headaches). IMO, the positive encouragement system works well and gaining experience always feels satisfying.
  • Combat: Very engaging, especially since the game lets the player approach hostile situations with any number of options – stealth, quickhacking, fisticuffs, throwing knives, or good ol’ gunfire.
  • Exploration: Absolutely peppered with missions so exploration doesn’t get stale. Almost every environment / map – indoor and outdoor – is uniquely designed, no map layouts are ever reused and recycled (unlike cough Dragon Age II cough).
    • Movement: Typical first-person movement controls, with some parkour and optional superhuman abilities (double jumping, charged jumping, in-air dodging) added to the mix. Overall, very fluid.
    • Vehicles / Driving: One of the weakest aspects of the game. Abominable. Maneuvering – turning, especially – in a car is terrible, to the point that I’d prefer to fast travel, motorbike, or even run and parkour to the destination rather than handle a car. And of course there’s got to be a racing side mission in the game (thankfully there’s only four races).
  • Dialogue Choices: For the most part, most dialogue choices serve to progress that specific mission / story and do not substantially impact other missions or the ending. Dialogue with companion characters (Judy, Panam, River, Kerry), though, are important to unlocking their side missions and continuing their respective relationships. There’s also one (and only one, AFAIK) dialogue with Johnny that’s important for unlocking an additional choice for the game’s ending.
  • Crafting: Extremely easy to understand and use – materials can be collected randomly or from breaking down existing equipment, and all crafts use a simple pool of generic “components.” Specs (i.e. blueprints) are more rare; from what I understand, they’re acquired as mission rewards, legendary item drops, and from various vendors. Weapons specs are plentiful, not so much for armor and mods.

Characters

• V: Adaptable, determined, and mentally strong, a decently likeable mercenary protagonist. Tends to approach events with an open-minded, borderline naive mindset – probably to mesh better with the open-world, multiple-choice style gameplay. V’s personality is mostly shaped by the player’s responses to events and individuals.
  • Jackie: Gung-ho, small-time mercenary and stalwart friend to V. The type to think with brawn rather than brains. Very hopeful (desperate?) about making it big – to becoming a legend – in Night City.
  • Misty: Jackie’s girlfriend. This girl is unbelievably empathetic and kindhearted, but not to the point of naivety. Extraordinary, especially considering the dystopian reality of Cyberpunk 2077 that’s turned most everyone jaded (or mental). One of V’s very close friends in the end, I’d say.
  • Judy: Techie with a talent for braindance (virtual reality) editing. Likes robotics, diving. Has a small friend group with The Mox and Clouds – gangs she runs / used to run with. Loyal to her friends, very passionate and vindictive if one is hurt. Strikes me as the sentimental sort.
    • Bias: Heeeeeeeeeella cute. Ghhh, my heart.
  • Panam: Like all nomads, very loyal to her clan, good with vehicles, and not too fond of the city. Thinks quick on her feet, the type to leap before looking. Fiery and tenacious personality when acting on her lonesome, which simmers down when she’s with her Aldecados nomad family.
    • Bias: Started out really critical of her character and questline (cliched developments, ugh), but found her more likeable once she started to take charge of family matters. Essentially turned her impulsiveness into decisiveness.
  • River: Gruff NCPD detective. Good head on his shoulders. One of the very few morally upstanding people in Night City, dedicated to his job and cares about justice. Perhaps a bit idealistic? Seems like a decent uncle to his niece and nephews.
  • Kerry: One of the founders and the lead guitar of the rock band Samurai, along with Johnny. By 2077, he’s a celebrity rockerboy living a luxurious lifestyle, but personally struggling with inspiration and self-esteem in the long shadow that Johnny’s death has cast.
  • Johnny: Arrogant and egotistical rockerboy star of Samurai who’s long dead but still thinks he’s some kind of hotshot. Chronic substance abuser back in his heyday – alcohol, smokes, drugs, the whole shebang. Doesn’t matter if he’s rambling about anti-corporation anarchy, or if he’s talking to his bandmates, to the next girl he wants to bang, or to V – every other word that he utters is derisive and cynical. He starts to mellow out the constant brooding and cynicism as the game draws to a close, though.
    • Bias: I’m sure Keanu Reaves is a nice guy, but, Johnny? God. Damn. Insufferable. Does anyone even like this guy?

Closing Comments
If a dystopian sci-fi, open-ended urban RPG sounds like your cup o’ tea, I’d highly recommend Cyberpunk 2077. Try getting it when it’s 50% off ($29.99).

Yes, yes, blah blah blah delayed release and buggy launch. I only paid a marginal interest in Cyberpunk 2077 when it was first released, so my opinions above are coming from a non-butthurt perspective. By now, I think the devs have smoothed over the worst of the game-breaking bugs and whatever other problems. Bottom line: the game is playable from start-to-finish, and the game in its current state is a brilliant ORPG.

Storyline’s thrilling, characters feel alive, dystopian cityscape was designed near perfectly. The very picture of cyberpunk.

There’s sex.
Hey, I’ll admit it, sex sells.

Currently weaning off my exhiliration and post-game depression with a bit of Shadowrun: Dragonfall, but I might play through Cyberpunk 2077 again. Maybe treat Johnny a bit nicer, lol.

Hopefully, since I’ll have a better hang of game mechanics, a second completionist playthrough isn’t going to take 90+ hours, lmao.

The game really is worth playing again, holy shit.

6 Likes

Picked up Shin Megami Tensei: Soul Hackers 2 recently, not enough time to give my thoughts on it, but I’ve enjoyed it so far. Fun seeing AI reactions to getting stuck in human* bodies and given personalities. Also also, the facial animations/artwork during dialogues are pretty fun :smile:

2 Likes

I bought Halo master Chief collection. I’ve never played Halo before and didn’t look up what order they’re in so started with Halo Reach since it’s the top of the list. Enjoying it so far.

2 Likes

RimWorld
Tags: Open-World, Sci-Fi Colony Sim, Resource Management, Procedurally Generated Worldbuilding, Adjustable Difficulty, Massive Modding Community

Brief Summary
Your colonist(s) have landed on an uncharted world. The main objective is survival, though how your colony accomplishes that (or fails to) is up to the player’s preference and judgement. Use the tools and resources at your disposal to micromanage your colonists and survive against whatever the environment subjects your colony to.

For those fond of Dwarf Fortress, RimWorld plays similarly, but is less complex (no physics, no z-levels, no fluid dynamics) and set in a sci-fi setting.

Gameplay Impressions

• Storyline: There is no fixed plot, other than survival. Quest availability and spontaneous events will be up to the whims of the selected storyteller A.I., though everything else is largely up to the player’s interpretation and imagination.
  • Adjustable Difficulty: RimWorld offers six default difficulty modes that affect combat, trade, colonist stats, etc. Players are also free to set custom values for each adjustable option, to make the game as easy or as hard as they desire.
  • Storyteller A.I.: As I understand it, Storytellers (Classic, Chillax, and Random) are responsible for the game’s difficulty progression. On Classic and Chillax, difficulty and quest rewards increase with the colony’s wealth value and / or time progression, and breathing time between unfortunate or hostile events should be reasonable. On Random, there is no scaling, so if events and timing are impossibly hard or ridiculously fortutious, them’s the breaks.
  • Customizable Starting Scenario: If the default starting scenarios aren’t to the player’s liking, they’re free to create their own. Aside from tweaking onset colonist count and resource volumes, a huge number of other world parameters may be changed (e.g. forced world / colonist conditions, disable certain enemies, disable certain events, enable planetkiller time limit, etc.).
  • Procedurally Generated World / Colonists: Aside from the parameters defined in starting scenario and the world seed, almost everything else is randomly, procedurally generated (without mods) – colonists (appearances, traits, skills, health), map (resources, terrain, roads), quests (requirements, rewards), visitors (trade, inventory, faction), raids (size, strength), etc. More often than not, this randomness leads to some type of disaster befalling the colony.
    • Dwarf Fortress: Random gameplay experiences and disasters – a major part where Dwarf Fortress and RimWorld share similarities.
  • Task Micromanagement / Scheduling: Provided a colonist isn’t physically or mentally incapacitated, the player may make them prioritize certain tasks manually. Though usually, especially as the colony’s population expands, it’s more efficient to prioritize their workflow in the Work / Schedule tab. It’s a simple mechanic to understand, but very essential to running an efficient colony.
    • Dwarf Fortress: Personally I haven’t played DF so I can’t speak for the minute differences, but to my understanding, this workflow scheduling and colonist / dwarf autonomy is another major part where Dwarf Fortress and RimWorld share gameplay similarities.
  • Colony Management / Affluence: Step 1: Collect resources. Step 2: Construct things. Step 3: ???. Step 4: Pick up mechanics on colonist needs, farming, mining, crafting, ranching, researching, caravaneering, trading, and everything else-ing to survive and thrive. There is a ridiculous amount of colony / colonist details to manage, but the Tutorial and Learning Helper can ease green players into the game.
  • Massive Modding Community: If the default RimWorld experience starts to feel too bland and too stale, mods are available to switch things up. Everything from gamebreaking additions to vanilla experiences, from aesthetic overhauls to improved gameplay A.I.

DLC Content

• Royalty: Adds noble Titles, powerful Psycasts (i.e. recastable magic abilities), a new Empire faction, new Empire-related quests, and a plethora of ultratech weapons.
  • Ideology: Adds customizable Ideoligions (i.e. belief / faith systems), which can influence a colony’s socially accepted practices, production efficiency, and interactions with other factions. Also adds Slavery.
  • Biotech: Adds Children, Gene Modding, Xenotypes (i.e. genetically modified Humans), Mechanitors (i.e. colonists that can control robots), and Pollution.

Combine all the adjustable options, world customization, procedurally generated colonists, random events, played-curated mods, and DLCs, and one person’s RimWorld experience is bound to be different from another’s.

Also RimWorld, with all currently available the DLCs (more in the works?), tends to cost $99.96. With discounts, it’s around $87.96.

This is a 10-year old game.

Still in development and receiving periodic updates, sure, but it’s totally up to you whether you think it’s worth it or not. :joy:

Closing Comments
I might’ve been a little bit addicted to this game.

Colony Floor Plans (Excel Sheet)

RimWorld Colony (Incomplete)
Yes I used Cheat Dev Mode to construct the moat and steam geysers, since terrain editing is impossible otherwise (without mods). Shush, it’s my game to play. Get your own game.

A.
Little!
Bit.
Addicted. :pinching_hand:

2 Likes

Mon Bazou
Tags: Canada (Quebec), Island Sandbox, First-Person Life Simulator, Car Simulator, Farming, Low Poly Graphics

Brief Summary
It’s 2005, and Jason Tremblay is living out his young adulthood life in the little rural Quebecois town of Saint-Clin du Fin-Fond. Drive around town, work part-time jobs, interact with residents, harvest and process maple syrup, participate in night races, become self-sufficient, and / or grow some cannabis…?

It’s fine. Weed is legal in Canada.

For those familiar with Warcraft III’s Life of a Peasant (LoaP) maps, this game plays out very similarly – there’s very little story, progression is completely up to the player, and accumulate wealth to unlock more in-game events or conveniences.

Also, since this is a caricatured Quebec countryside, there’s plenty of stereotypical things in-game. Maple syrup, poutine, “French Canadian” slurs(?), etc.

First Impressions

• Tedious Gameplay: I mean, the game is a life simulator, so… almost every action takes a dozen prerequisite steps to make. Want to drive into town? Open the door, start the ignition, remove the parking brake, and shift gears before stepping on the gas. It’s tedious to learn in the beginning, but pretty easy to get acclimated to.
    • Intentional Tedium: Moral of the story / game is, think before you leap (or do). Rushing into things tends to punish the player (e.g. speeding, terrain ditches), while following life-like common sense avoids such problems. Kudos to the game dev for this much attention to detail towards game mechanics. :laughing:
  • Casual Time Progression: Since there’s no major time-sensitive deadlines or seasonal events, players are free to take things at their own pace. If something’s unavailable on one day due to shop hours or individual schedules, there’s always the next day.
  • Casual Survival Mechanics: In terms of survival, the player needs to keep track of their Maple Syrup (hydration), Poutine (food), Energy, and Anxiety levels. Neglecting the player’s survival needs eventually leads to death, but the player is otherwise invulnerable. Unless playing on Hardcore difficulty, though, the needs are decently painless (and amusing) to manage.
    • Lenient Death Mechanic: Unless playing on Permadeath mode, death simply respawns the player back on their homestead with a temporary debuff – with the caveat that any cannabis joints in the inventory will be lost.
  • Farming: Arguably one of the more interesting aspects of the game – for me, at least. There’s trees for firewood and maple syrup, and potatoes and cannabis. Compared to Harvest Moon’s or Stardew Valley’s variety of crops, it’s a very simplistic selection for a “farm,” but the maple syrup gameplay is decently unique and rewarding.
  • Automobiles: One of the main focuses of the game (hence “Mon Bazou”). There’s only a handful vehicles available to the player, but finding compatible parts, and repairing / restoring / customizing the vehicle might as well be its own questline.
  • Racing: Admittedly, I detest racing in games and tend to avoid them. I’m uncertain how Mon Bazou handles it, but I’ve heard other players have found it moderately challenging.
    • Racing Rant Tangent: Any racing game / minigame that implements rubberband A.I. (i.e. A.I. speeds up / teleports abnormally when they’re far behind) infuriates me. I’m in first place through legitimate means (bonus points if the game’s vehicular handling is terrible), and the game feels the need to use tactics unavailable to the player for artificial difficulty?! How am I not supposed to feel cheated? I’m looking at you, Cyberpunk 2077. :angry:
  • Relationships: All relationships in-game are platonic, and there’s very little meaningful dialogue… Which means the characters are completely immemorable to me. :rofl: Building those friendship levels do sometimes have in-game benefits, though.

Mon Bazou’s still in Early Access on Steam, but there’s already a wealth of content! Easily a few hours’ or days’ worth of entertainment.

If the game seems interesting, Level1Techs has some gameplay of Mon Bazou over on their Twitch channel: teampgp! :grin:

5 Likes

Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous
Tags: Isometric RPG, Adventure, High / Dark Fantasy (Dungeons & Dragons), Character Customization, Choices Matter, Multiple Endings, Story Rich, Turn-Based Combat

Brief Summary
Where there was once the mighty nation of Sarkoris, now there is the Worldwound. For almost a century, demons from the Abyss have plagued this wasteland and its mortal inhabitants. Four Mendevian Crusades have been launched, yet the war is ongoing, and the demonic threat persists.

Whatever the reason, you find yourself in the crusader city of Kenabres, one of the few pockets of civilization that remains in the region. It is here where certain events are set in motion, and the fifth – and final – Mendevian Crusade begins.

Personal Bias - Rant on Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Let me preface everything with some context: I vehemently dislike the first game in this series – Pathfinder: Kingmaker. It’s not a terrible game, per se. Gameplay is standard for a CRPG (e.g. Neverwinter Nights, Baldur’s Gate), and perhaps even good, especially considering how many different and varied classes it offers. The thing that I can’t get over is it’s shoddy storyline / plot development and utterly bland characters.

• Storyline: By the time I was in the final act, I was skipping through dialogue and rushing fights just to get to the ending so I could shelf the game forever. The most interesting part was liberating and acquiring your own land and kingdom. Everything else, I’ve largely wiped from my memory by now. Sure, medieval high fantasy settings are usually idealized / romanticized (i.e. glorified war, all-knowing sorcerers, capable armies, holistic tribes, etc.), but this game manifests “ideal” too bluntly, and I honestly don’t think there were any plot twists or interesting developments.
  • Companions: Personally, companion characters make an incredibly significant part of whether I find a game memorable and meaningful – especially in a CRPG. It’s all about sentimental attachment, yeah? Well, most everyone in Kingmaker were utterly immemorable. Only Octavia and Regongar were mildly interesting, mostly because I was set on romancing Octavia, and Regongar’s involved in that. Every other companion follows some sort of DnD stereotype / cliché, and never acquires any actually interesting character development.
  • Voice Acting / Dialogue: To each their own, but I found the Pathfinder voice acting terrible. Or perhaps it’s the written dialogue. Anyway, combine the two, and the result is a voice that’s forced and painful and cringe to listen to.

Also, there’s the option to romance the antagonist of the game, but I’m sorry to say she’s completely unsexy and not up my alley at all. :neutral_face:

I’m a huge RPG / CRPG fan, but I would never recommend anyone waste their time with Pathfinder: Kingmaker. It’s just that stale.

Thankfully, Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous has little to do with Pathfinder: Kingmaker. Now, moving on…

General Impressions
Small Note: When I use the term “Pathfinder games,” I am specifically referring to Pathfinder: Kingmaker and Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous only. I’m aware that “Pathfinder” as a game exists in book / tabletop format, but I’ve no experience with those. I am only commenting on the two PC games that I’ve played through.

• Similar Games: For those that have played Pillars of Eternity or Tyranny, map exploration, dialogue, and other general gameplay mechanics should feel very familiar. Also a little bit similar to Neverwinter Nights in terms of character leveling, skills, and feat selection, but heavily expanded with way more classes and feats. And then there’s the turn-based combat system, which reminds me of the Divinity: Original Sin series.
  • Character Creation: There’s a plethora of different races, classes, backgrounds, and other minor details to pick from, which is absolutely delightful. Class progression and leveling can be complex for first-timers, though. I’d recommend perusing a guide, or maybe test driving a class for a few hours first, before finalizing on a class. If the player ever wishes to change their build, a certain NPC has the ability to completely respec the main character.
    • Mythic Paths: New to Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous, the player character is able to select between 10 powerful mythic path classes, provided they meet the requirements. It’s not just a combat mechanic, though – mythic paths will have storyline consequences and path-specific choices unique to them. Pretty neat, all in all.
  • Story Progression: Wrath of the Righteous is leagues and leagues better than Pathfinder: Kingmaker, and – thankfully – takes place in a time and setting that is separate from the previous title, so players do not need to play through Kingmaker to fully enjoy Wrath of the Righteous. The main questline is largely linear, but there’s a myriad of semi-main quests and in-game decisions that can affect how the story plays out and what choices / paths are available to the player. Makes for great replayability, too.
    • Writing and Dialogue: Better than Pathfinder: Kingmaker, I think, in that questlines have plot developments that can play out heroically, somewhat dark, or utterly bizarrely. Writing is not completely faultless, however. If you use the phrase “only time will tell” in your character description, I’m writing you off as an amateur. :roll_eyes:
    • Voice Acting: Still terrible, for some characters. Thankfully, not all dialogue cutscenes are voiced. I’m beginning to think it’s less the fault of the voice acting cast, and more the fault of the written dialogue.
    • NPC Diversity: Very subjective progressive opinion, but I’m personally happy that Wrath of the Righteous included canonically LGBTQIA+ identities and official relationships for semi-main characters and doesn’t kill them off, like so many other games, stories, movies, and other media. Also happy to see that not every national leader, representative of significant power, or other lore-important authority is the default cishet white male.
  • Multiple Endings: The epilogue is largely dictated by decisions made in the main questline, mythic path questline, companion quests / interactions, and interactions with other semi-important NPCs. Careful players, or players seeking a particular ending (best ending?) may wish to consult a guide – or even multiple guides and resources. It’s ridiculous how many characters’s survivability or loyalty hinges on a correct dialogue choice. :sweat_smile:
  • Companions: A somewhat more varied and more memorable cast compared to Pathfinder: Kingmaker, but that’s not a high bar to pass. Unlike other CRPGs, companions don’t have numerical relationship scores / meters to keep track of, so most – most – questline choices won’t impact the player character’s relationship with them, despite the occasional opinionated comment. Rather, relationships with companions depends on choices made during their respective questlines, or during home base conversations. Companions can still permanently perish or leave the party, however, dependent on main or semi-main questline choices.
    • Story Impact: With a few minor exceptions, companions have incredibly minimal impact on the main storyline, and as a result, some can feel like insubstantial characters. Ember and Nenio in particular contribute incredibly little to the crusade and may fade into the background, especially if the player often neglects to take them in their party.
    • Lack of Bonds: Companions may banter when resting at camp, when suggesting or reacting to quest dialogue choices, or when offering advice in the citadel, but otherwise do not really interact meaningfully with each other. Each companion very much feels like an isolated entity; there’s no team cohesion, no sentimental bond tying your people together.
    • Mary Sues: Pathfinder has a habit of blessing particular characters – many of the player’s companions, especially – with mysteriously acquired (usually by a patron deity) and uniquely powerful or fortuitious powers, with little explanation or development. On a personal and philosophical level, I extremely do not agree with special snowflake Mary Sue characters and with the idea of acquiring abilities that haven’t been earned through some meaningful trial, even if these are fictional characters in a magical setting. One or two? Acceptable. An entire band? Nuh-uh, that’s just plain amateurish. If you’re able to look past lazy and shallow character backstory writing, your opinion of Pathfinder probably will not be as critical as mine.
      • Addendum: Before anyone comes harping at me for being contradictory – criticizing some characters as too stereotypical and others as too snowflakey – I’d like to say: It :clap: is :clap: perfectly :clap: feasible :clap: to :clap: conceptualize :clap: a :clap: realistic :clap: and :clap: unique :clap: personality. Heroes don’t need magical powers to be heroes. If you strip away a hero character’s powers or superlative ability, and find what’s left is a hollow and boring shell, you aren’t writing your character’s identity right.
  • Adventure and Exploration: Each of the story’s acts takes place in an area different from the previous – the city of Kenabres, a small portion of the Worldwound, the Abyss, then back to the Worldwound but expanded westward. Environments and terrain are considerably varied (Dragon Age II was lazy with this, lol), and are pleasantly cluttered with details and descriptions for a generally immersive experience. Special mention goes to the Abyss – navigating it is much more nonconventional than pointing and clicking on the map, which can be frustrating for some, or seen as an innovative new mechanic by others.
  • Lore and Context: Pathfinder games seem to be decently lore-rich, but – quite conveniently! – relevant contextual info / historical trivia that’s perceived as common knowledge is usually highlighted, and may be elaborated on in a tooltip. Extremely helpful and easily digestible, for players that aren’t familiar with the Pathfinder series (like m’self).
  • Combat Mechanics / Difficulty: Can be played in real-time mode or turn-based mode. Regardless of modes, combat encounters are decently challenging. Most miniboss and boss battles require copious buffing and potion chugging (and maybe some save scumming) to prevail. Spellcasters – players and enemies – are particularly powerful in Pathfinder.
    • Real-Time Combat: What most RPGs follow (e.g. Neverwinter Nights, Baldur’s Gate, Dragon Age, etc.), wherein everything happens at once, and the pause button only momentarily pauses combat (but not actions) for the player to asssess the situation. Compared to turn-based combat, it’s significantly faster, but can turn out more hectic, and subsequently, more difficult. Unlike the player, enemy A.I. has instantaneous reaction time.
    • Turn-Based Combat: Every character engaged in combat follows a strict timeline, dictated by their initiative dice roll, before performing an action. Once all characters have executed their turn, the round ends and the next begins. I’ve only seen Divinity: Original Sin execute turn-based combat well, but it may be used by others. Battles are more controlled, but significantly longer compared to real-time combat.
  • Kingdom Management: Carried over and expanded upon from Pathfinder: Kingmaker. As the Queen’s appointed Knight-Commander, the player has the authority to issue decrees, accumulate and spend resources, and organize armies against the opposing demonic threat. May or may not be to people’s liking – while it offers another gameplay experience in an RPG, it’s time-consuming and can block world map exploration (occupied forts) until dealt with. Poor kingdom management also can have storyline consequences.

Companions
Only the main companions are covered here. Other unlockable companions are available, but mostly for specific mythic paths.

• Seelah: Human Paladin. Typical good-aligned paladin and a decently loyal friend. Tends to emphasize idealistic and kind choices over pragmatic or law-abiding ones.
    • Opinion: Prime example of Pathfinder’s classic, depthless stereotyping. IMO, she started off as a fine character to introduce as a friendly friend, but her idealistic suggestions really get on my nerves. There’s an unrealistic dissonance between her frontline warrior role (horrors of war, hello?) and her adolescent-like / sheltered hopefulness. Constantly espouses and reacts to events with aggravatingly excessive leniency (e.g. show mercy, they’re just confused). If she didn’t explicitly mention she was raised as a thief on the streets, I would have thought she was yet another cloistered starry-eyed knight – she certainly acts like it.
  • Camellia: Half-Elf Shaman (Spirit Hunter). An elegant noblewoman, but very mysterious and private – the player isn’t even privy to her alignment on her character page! Seems to unnerve characters that rely on intuition (e.g. shamans). Prior to her companion questline, dialogue with her is amicably polite, but very succinct.
    • Opinion: Here we go! Moving on from someone totally clichéd to someone totally not. Spoiler: She’s a an unhinged serial killer. Camellia’s character, I like – morally bankrupt, but intelligent and disciplined enough to flawlessly conduct herself within high society. She’s kinda shit at lying, though. It’s incredibly obvious her intent to “heal” the bloodthirsty spirits of the land is just a noble-sounding excuse to continue killing, and that she’s making up the story about Mireya – every other line of dialogue is contradictory. Also, a romance option, but only for male characters. Hilariously (frustratingly?), her romance path is a freaking rollercoaster ride full of mixed messages and “I expect you to read my mind” traps.
  • Lann: Mogrel Zen Archer. A capable warrior with an adventurous spirit. More open-minded and a little bit more worldly compared to others of his kind, who were underground dwellers until recent events.
    • Note: A romance option, but only for female characters.
  • Wenduag: Mongrel Fighter. Beast-like personality that only respects strong characters, and seems only interested in serving her own needs.
    • Note: Romance option for male and female characters.
  • Woljif: Tiefling Rogue (Eldritch Scoundrel). Typical rogue, almost a parallel to Neeshka from Neverwinter Nights 2 – same race, same rogue class, similar flighty personality, similar powerful demon heritage – with a few tweaks and additions for the Pathfinder setting.
  • Ember: Elf Stigmatized Witch. Homeless orphan beggar previously burned and mutilated for her magical powers. Despite all her suffering, she retains a pacifist and selfless personality.
    • Opinion: I think she’s meant to be a sympathy-inducing woobie, but I completely do not feel anything towards this character at all. Her entire story is contradictory and unrealistic – borderline Mary Sue. Burned at the stake and mutilated, but no PTSD. Constantly bullied or targeted for her poverty or kind nature, but still ridiculously empathetic and pacifist (and will still kill enemies in combat). The very epitome of blind faith and blind idealism, all words and no (or very few) deeds, which I unfortunately do not share and do not respect.
  • Daeran: Aasimar Oracle. Deviates from the “good aasimar” trend. Shamelessly revels in the hedonistic lifestyle afforded by his noble lineage, and responds to authority with caustic wit. Intelligent enough to maneuver around and manipulate high society gracefully, though usually only out of petty contempt or his self-indulgent pleasures.
    • Opinion: Insufferable. More tolerable later on, when it’s proven he’s not infallible to others’ political machinations and when he’s sufficiently more amicable (but still sardonic) with the player character. Another snowflake character with special powers, but his Mary Sue-ness is utterly overshadowed by his exaggerated self-opinion. Also, a romance option for male and female characters.
  • Nenio: Human (Kitsune) Wizard (Scroll Savant). An extremely inquisitive and extremely eccentric scientist – or what passes for a scientist in a high fantasy world. Classic high intellect, low wisdom DnD character. Possesses the unique ability to instantly forget memories.
    • Opinion: Maybe not everyone’s cup of tea, but I find Nenio’s selective memory, non sequiturs, and hyperfocusing incredibly entertaining. Unfortunately, her questline and dialogue is probably the least emotive of all the companions. Her single companion quest is basically a fetch quest that spans multiple acts, and her research-focused memory leaves very little room for meaingful introspective talks.
  • Sosiel: Human Cleric. Priest of Shelyn, the goddess of art, beauty, love, and music. Pious, but not an obnoxious preacher. Struggles with a minor crisis of moral integrity and brotherly devotion. Token gay.
    • Note: A romance option, but only for male characters.
  • Regill: Gnome Hellknight. Unusually dispassionate for a gnome, but an exemplary Hellknight. Serves the Hellknights as Paralictor, is stern on those under his command, and even stricter on himself. Often regards events impassively, and selects or advises the most logistically efficient course of action.
    • Opinion: Regill, I’m extremely fond of. I like his imperturbable stoicism, and his logical pragmatism in wartime scenario. Pathfinder classifies him as “Lawful Evil,” but I’d argue “Lawful Netural” might be more accurate. He never exhibits any self-serving motives (standard definitions of DnD’s “evil”), but rather is wholly dedicated to the war against demons and to “order” as a concept. Spoiler: He even goes as far as to plan and execute his discharge from the Hellknight Orders just to bolster the alliance between the player’s crusader forces and the Orders, which furthers the crusade’s cause. That’s some selfless behavior, right there.
      • And before anyone brings up his introductory cutscene, in which he mercilessly kills the wounded crusaders under his protection in a dire situation, I’ll argue that one wartime decision doesn’t holistically reflect on a person’s character alignment. He’s severe and disciplined, not cruel or self-serving.
  • Arueshalae: Ascending Succubus Ranger (Espionage Expert). A reformed demon and a veritable special snowflake. Demure and delicate. Harbors a lot of regrets regarding her past lifestyle, and initially is fraught with self-doubts and low self-esteem, but can overcome it with the Knight-Commander’s confidence. Very “I must resist my evil demonic nature” trope. Seems to be particularly doted on by her good-aligned deity, to whom she’s very respectful towards, but is not the overly pious type.
    • Opinion: Since her shtick is all about resisting her demonic impulses, she has a lot of dialogue and events that are completely introspective and tangential to wartime concerns. Up to the player whether to intrepet these as endearing heart-to-heart talks, or indecisive whining. Also, a romance option for male and female characters.
    • Bias: Okay, but she’s really cute and sweet and bi, so she gets a pass from me for being a snowflake. :weary:
  • Greybor: Dwarf Slayer. Assassin by trade, values coin and professionalism above anything else. Very neutral-aligned – doesn’t judge and doesn’t like to be judged.
  • Ulbrig (DLC Character): Human Griffonheart Shifter. Chieftain of the Olesk clan when Sarkoris still existed as a nation, but was displaced from his time to present day. Of the honorable sort. Wildly unfamilar with urban environments, current events, and recent history.
    • Opinion: Surprisingly worthwhile DLC addition to the game. His questline has a sizeable amount of content, and he has dialogue integrated in the main story and multiple side quests, so he retains relevancy even outside of his companion quest / DLC environment. Also, a romance option for male and female characters.

Other Notable Characters (NPCs)
There’s many more plot-significant NPCs, but I’ll only be commenting on the ones that are the most memorable to me.

• Anevia: Human Rogue. Transgender, married to Irabeth. Perceptive, sly, and tactful. A capable scout and recon leader, who always keeps a watchful eye over the crusade’s people. Loyal to the crusade, but willing to overlook rules and regulations for the Knight-Commander’s sake. She’s one of my favorite NPCs.
  • Irabeth: Half-Orc Paladin. Commander of the Eagle Watch. Married to Anevia. A resolute and loyal crusader, and an inspiration to her soldiers. Loyal to the crusade, but suffers PTSD in the hands of demons and her spirit and motivations after that event are dependent on the Knight-Commander’s influence on her.
  • Galfrey: Human Paladin. Queen of Mendev, and leader of the Mendevian Crusades. Initially introduced as an unconventionally sassy and generally wise crusader monarch, but later (inevitably) places the Commander on trial for blatantly envious and ignobly petty reasons. I thought her decently respectable until that trial event – now my opinion of her’s taken a complete 180°.
  • Hand of the Inheritor: Angel. Herald of Iomedae. A total bro in the beginning – even sticking up for the Knight-Commander in the face of Galfrey’s petty base accusations – but completely abandons them as soon as he learns the origin of their mysterious power. Spoiler: It’s the blood of demons, but distilled and purified of its evil influence. Like, wooow – racist much?
  • Nocticula: Succubus. Our Lady in Shadow, Demon Lord of Darkness and Lust, Ruler of the Midnight Isles. Ambitious, devious, and cunning. Central to player character’s fate, as they discover later. One of the better voiced-acted characters, or so I thought? Oddly, she sounds perfectly fine in Act 4, but sounds super out of place in Act 5. Also, I’d like to mention her profile portrait is [*wolf whistle*]. Appears as a foil to Iomedae in a certain cutscene, and I honestly vastly prefer Nocticula’s scheming over Iomedae’s righteous idealism.
  • Iomedae: Deity (formerly Human). The Inheritor, Light of the Sword, Lady of Valor. Embodies righteous valor, justice, and honor. Insufferable. Hypocritical. I detest holier-than-thou personalities.

Guides and Resources

• Character Creation Guide (Steam Community): An extremely detailed and decently well-written guide, covering character creation and summarizing the game’s many available classes. Less of a step-by-step tutorial, and more of a list of brief gameplay descriptions and recommendations.
  • Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous Walkthrough and Guide (Neoseeker): A very detailed and decently comprehensive guide that covers the majority of the game’s quests, characters, and important in-game choices.
  • Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righeous Wiki (Fextralife): Decent resource for character build suggestions and a main questline guide, but not very comprehensive. Some quest pages are poorly written / formatted inconsistently, and minor quest / NPC pages are unfinished and / or have no content.
    • Note: Fextralife pages embed a twitch.tv video that autoplays (but is muted) at the bottom of every single page. To block these autoplaying vids, I’d recommend adding the following to your adblock filters: embed.twitch.tv
  • Toy Box (Nexus Mods): Utility mod used to cheat and / or fix things. Incredibly versatile – able to tweak game UI, toggle little conveniences on / off, view flags in quest progression, as well as other typical cheating things (e.g. add items, add gold, edit character stats, instant heal, etc.).
    • Extremely and Highly Recommended: Pathfinder games have a tendency to bug out or soft-lock quest completion if steps aren’t performed in order, but Toy Box has the tools to view and manually toggle these flags to fix your game (if necessary).

Closing Comments
I’m sorry this turned out longer than I anticipated.

Uh, TLDR:

• Significantly better and significantly more dramatic plot development, questline, and character cast compared to Pathfinder: Kingmaker.
  • Mythic path mechanic, which has impacts on both the storyline and gameplay, is a very welcome addition.
  • Decent replayability value, due to the multitude of storyline decisions and mythic paths available.
  • Still suffers from the occasional terrible character concept, terrible dialogue writing, and terrible voice acting.
  • Still suffers from one-dimensional companions that have little impact on the main storyline and little interaction with each other.
  • Turn-based combat system echoes that of Divinity: Original Sin, and is refreshing and fun.
  • Combat difficulty is challenging, at times frustrating, but may be adjusted for an easier experience. Could be attributed to my lack of skill with games in general, though.

I’m genuinely enjoying Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous. I went into this game expecting it to be as terrible as Pathfinder: Kingmaker and to write off all Pathfinder games as a loss, but I’m happy my opinion has been swayed.

Not sure whether I’ll stick it on my favorites list. It feels very similar to the Pillars of Eternity and Divinity: Original Sin series, both of which I’m extremely fond of, but Pathfinder suffers from such… dismal… writing.

For CRPG fans that liked Neverwinter Nights, Pillars of Eternity, Tyranny, Divinity: Original Sin, Dragon Age, and other similar titles, I’d say Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous is worth giving a shot.

Just don’t bother with Pathfinder: Kingmaker.

3 Likes

I too tried Pathfinder Kingmaker. Early in the game, like maybe 2 hours in, you get a timed mission to find a bad guy or something. Unfortunately my entire party failed a required perception check literally dozens of times. There is a hidden box with bad guy notes and if you don’t find it you can’t progress the mission. After reloading about 3-4 times I finally found the box and it was locked and nobody in my party was leveled enough to pick the lock.

3 Likes

Counter-Strike 2 is a surprisingly gorgeous game.

Actual water caustics!

Surprising attention to detail with clothing drying when out of the water.

Hopefully this demonstrates just how much better the game looks without having to download an older version of the game.

4 Likes

Man that G3 looks incredible too :(…
This is going to make me download CS, and I blame you :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

The Outer Worlds
Tags: Action-Adventure RPG, First-Person Shooter, Space Exploration Sci-Fi (Art Deco / Steampunk / Rustpunk Style), Character Customization, Multiple Choices/Endings

Brief Summary
You wake from a 25-year long cryosleep, in a star system very far away from Earth’s.

Immediately, you’re thrust into psychedelic worlds teeming with zany characters and equally zany animals, and rustpunk towns teetering on the brink of dysfunction. Out in the wild, hopped-up marauders and ferocious wildlife roam unclaimed lands. In civilized areas, corporations bend every rule of morality with reckless abandon and exert almost omnipotent authority over their citizens.

Welcome to Halcyon.

Oh, and the fate of the entire colony rests on your shoulders, so try to save it if you can. There’s a raving scientist that keeps pinging you over the monitors, maybe he’s got some ideas.

General Impressions

• Storyline, Plot Progression: Somewhat slow crawl and borderline boring until the player meets their first companion. Most NPC personalities are zany, bureaucratic, and / or incompetent, which makes the few pragmatic-minded or capable ones stand out. By contrast, most questlines are usually serious, ranging from colony-wide decisions like choice of leadership and the classic Trolley problem (with a cryogenic twist), to smaller compassion-vs-truth or morality-vs-profit choices.
  • Multiple Choices / Endings: Only choices made in the main questlines and companion questlines have consequences that influence the ending slides. Most other side quests have incredibly minimal effects outside of some NPC banter. YMMV, but for me, a lot of these questline decisions seemed immemorable and unimmersive – aside from some loading screens and NPC conversations, there were very few tangible results seen from the conclusion of any main questline.
    • Main Storyline Decision (Spoilers): In the climax of the main storyline, the player character has to decide whether to sacrifice all of a batch of cryogenically-frozen colonists for 100% of a vital chemical compound, or to extract only a portion of the chemical compound in exchange for letting all of the frozen colonists live. I think the intention was to make this decision seem morality-heavy and difficult, but I sacrificed the colonists without a thought. The game really doesn’t build much meaning or lore behind the frozen colonists – or anything else, for that matter.
  • Companions: Personal opinion, but the companions – mostly Parvati, actually – made the game for me. They have personality and background stories (to varying degrees of in-depthness), they’re extremely competent in combat (IMO), and they sometimes chime in with opinions during dialogues. One companion can potentially get in a relationship during the grand adventure, but there’s no romance options for the player character, unfortunately.
  • Faction Reputation: Perhaps because I’ve been conditioned to think otherwise by other RPGs, I was somewhat disappointed to find that the player character’s standing with each faction / corporation had little to no affect on the epilogue slides. The only tangible affect reputation has seems to be on vendor discounts for their respective factions.
  • Textures, Character Models: Has a unique art style for human models (reminds me of caricatures?), but otherwise the graphics and animations are definitely decent for a 2019 game. Default settings for gamma lean towards the darker side (as in, textures and things in shadows are sometimes entirely black and completely unvisible to the player), but it’s adjustable mid-game. Subjectively, if I had to pick between Fallout 4 and The Outer Worlds based on graphics, I’d lean towards The Outer Worlds (then again, Fallout 4 is 2015 while The Outer Worlds is 2019, sooo…).
  • Extremely Reused Enemy Models: There’s only a fixed handful of enemy types / models players will ever encounter in The Outer Worlds: humans, robots, sprats, canids, primals, raptidons, and mantisaurs. Within each category, there’s perhaps 1-3 different varieties (e.g. mantiqueen, mantisaur soldier / drone, mantiswarm), and thaaat’s pretty much it, as far as hostiles go. Different planets / maps – including all the DLCs – only recolor and rename enemies to add a little differentiation, but it’s pretty much the same base model, same AI behavior, and same set of abilities to counter.

Gameplay Impressions

• Fallout-Style Gameplay: Anyone familiar with the Fallout series (Fallout 3, New Vegas, or 4) will immediately draw similarities between it and The Outer Wilds. Controls, combat, dialogue, quest progression, and even looting and presentation of lore (terminals and NPCs) are all very, very alike. That being said, The Outer Worlds has a significantly shorter questline than any of the Fallout series, even for a completionist run.
  • Straightforward Quests: Compared to other Sci-Fi RPGs (e.g. Mass Effect, Fallout), quests are significantly more linear and have very few nuances. Actually, the vast majority of them are fetch quests (collect X, return to NPC) or talk quests (talk to NPC A, talk to NPC B, return to NPC A). On the one side, quests – and subsequently, the storyline – all feel very one-dimensional. On the other side, it cuts down on a lot of wiki-searching and it’s good brainless activity (sometimes I have those days, y’know? :laughing:).
    • Quest Markers: The Outer Worlds is surprisingly accurate and on-point with its quest markers (compare with Mass Effect or Skyrim). 95% of quests have very clear quest markers that point directly to / on their respective interactable objects. Again, significantly cuts down on time spent on wikis.
    • Pacifist Runs: I’ve heard that a full pacifist run of The Outer Worlds is possible – as in, to complete the entire game without once resorting to violence. Haven’t tried it personally. Though, for many quests, especially main quests or companion quests, dialogue options that lead to nonviolent outcomes certainly exist. The player misses out on some loot, but gains experience points if a skill check was passed for said pacifist route.
  • Highlights for Interactable Items / Objects: Amazing quality-of-life feature, especially for completionists / hoarders like myself. Anything interactable or important (containers, terminals, enemies) is borderlined in bright teal when within interactable distance and very visible, which is extremely useful in cluttered or low-visibility areas (e.g. shadows). If players aren’t fond of this feature, an option to toggle it off exists.
  • No Flashlight: Oddly for an FPS and Sci-Fi game, The Outer Worlds does not equip the player with a flashlight. Not usually an issue in urban and civilized areas (e.g. towns, spaceships), but can become an annoying problem when exploring outside, especially during nightfall. A solution is to turn up the gamma contrast, I suppose.
  • Bugs / Glitches: For some odd reason, The Outer Worlds demands updated video card drivers for the most bug-free / crash-free experience. About 24+ hours in to my game, it started crashing to desktop when I turned to look in a specific direction in particular areas (I spent a solid 30 min testing it – it was not location based, it was view-based). Literally unplayable. Was going to give up on the game, and updated my video card drivers as a last-ditch effort. Surprisingly, that fixed all the crashing issues and I had a seamless gaming experience afterwards.
  • Loading Times: For the record, I did install The Outer Worlds on an SSD. Still, loading times were noticeably short, even on larger maps, and the game felt very lightweight and responsive overall. By contrast, Fallout usually takes me a solid 30 sec (city outskirts) - 1 min (city area) to load a map.

Companions
Forgive me if I only talk about two of the six (seven?) companion characters. Everyone else had flat personalities and unengaging backstories, IMO.

• Parvati: Probably the player’s first companion, and my favorite companion out of the bunch. Starts out as a dissatisfied corporate engineer with very low self-esteem, and builds up more confidence as she travels on the player’s crew. Very dorky and adorable, with a strong Southern accent. Oddly, I found Parvati to be the most fleshed-out character in the entire lineup – as in, more nuances in her personality, more in-depth companion quests, and more DLC involvement.
    • Parvati’s Quest (Spoilers): Finishing Parvati’s quest can set her and Junlei up in a very wholesome relationship together. Literally one of the only reasons I kept playing the game. She is so freaking adorable.
  • Ellie: Second favorite companion (50% process of elimination, 50% personality). Very pragmatic-minded ex-doctor-turned-mercenary. Often has useful tidbits or interactions during questlines thanks to her medical knowledge. Values tangible results over idealistic promises and sentimentality / friendships, though it’s possible to see her bonding with the player and their crew over time.
    • Ellie’s Quest (Spoilers): Massive letdown. As in, I found it extremely meaningless. Basically, Ellie takes the player along to her parents’ place, reveals her divisive relationship with them, then drags the player to an office on another world to cash in on some stable income caused by said divisive relationship (I’m skipping over a lot of details, yes). There’s very little character development or meaningful insight with her questline, especially if compared to Parvati’s.

DLC Content
Each DLC adds approximately 1-3 hours of extra content.

• Peril on Gorgon: Opens up a new asteroid map to explore and loot. Largely populated by hostile marauders high on drugs. Dips a little bit into the horrors of unethical science (testing on live captives), which I found engaging.
  • Murder on Eridanos: Introduces a new urbanized map, with a larger focus on the murder mystery (and dialogue skill checks) over exploration. Compared to the main storyline, I actually enjoyed the plot for this DLC.

Closing Comments
:thinking:
I think it’s pretty obvious from the extremely neutral tone of this commentary – aside from a few particular moments (Parvati, Murder on Eridanos), The Outer Worlds had a generally weak storyline I wasn’t particularly engaged with. Both the questline structure and storybuilding are to blame. Nothing felt powerful or monumental, not even the climax of the main quest.

Broadly speaking, The Outer Worlds plays a lot like Fallout (Fallout 3 / New Vegas / 4), down to its controls and lore presentation, just with a different coat of paint and a significantly stripped-down, simplistic story. Basic gameplay is solid – combat and abilities are fun, maps are beautiful and interesting to explore, and quality-of-life features (highlighted interactables, actually accurate quest markers) are very much appreciated.

For those looking for a lightweight, low-commitment Fallout alternative, or a Fallout painted with rustpunk colors, I’d say give The Outer Worlds a shot. Though if you’re hungry for a deeply provocative, lore-rich story populated with dynamic and memorable characters, pass on it.

I’m going to play Mass Effect: Andromeda now. I’d like to continue shooting things but follow a good storyline and get some romance on.

4 Likes

WitchSpring R

I had picked this up on a whim one Steam sale ago, little did I expect that I had picked up a hidden gem that I would pour 27 hours into this week, beating the game, and starting new game plus to find more hidden content. This here is a story-driven turn-based jrpg, and little did I expect the game play to be as polished as it is (vs other bigger name jrpgs at that) along with a story that had me engaged and cry on multiple occasions. It really reminded me of when I first played earlier Final Fantasy titles as a kid. If I was ever to make a game, this one would be up there at the top as a target to strive for or emulate. What is even more impressive is that this is a console remaster of what was once an older smartphone game, you wouldn’t know it from playing the game, and it runs perfectly on the Steam Deck even at 90hz. The art style really pulls its weight here. I normally don’t revisit jrpgs after clearing them, but I have a feeling that I will in the coming years as this goes into my list of classics. Personal score of 9/10

1 Like