What new games are you playing?

Anyone that lives and breathes yuri needs needs NEEDS to play BLUE REFLECTION and BLUE REFLECTION: Second Light.

Particularly Second Light. Admittedly, the first game doesn’t feature as many definitively-yuri* moments, but players would be missing a lot of sentimental context (story, returning characters, remixed music, gameplay improvements).

Asterisk (*): I define “definitively-yuri” as the character(s) undeniably and seriously admitting that their attraction for the other person. Contrast with heavily-implied subtext that’s open to other interpretations (e.g. simply good friends, casual gratitude, in-the-moment joke).

BLUE REFLECTION
Tags: Turn-Based JRPG, Slice of Life, Psychological Themes, Magical Girls

Brief Summary
Shirai Hinako was once a ballet prodigy, but a terrible accident injured her leg and dashed her hopes and dreams. After spending time in recovery, she returns to school and prepares herself for a mundane life ahead.

Turns out, school life becomes anything but mundane.

Yuzu and Lime, a mysterious pair of sisters, bestow upon Hinako the magical powers of a Reflector, and offer a promise: help protect their world from dangerous entities known as “Sephira,” in exchange for a single wish. With the help of her friends, Hinako confronts the physical and emotional demons plaguing the girls’ everyday school life, all for the sake of reviving a dream once thought lost.

General Impressions

• Storyline: Very slow burn and slow story progression. The general flow of the story is linear, but it deviates enough from overdone tropes and clichéd plot developments to remain somewhat interesting the entire game. Still lacks a lot of detail in terms of world lore, though. Perhaps understandable, since the girls are just high schoolers and can’t be expected to be omniscient.
  • One-Dimensional Characters: Each character has a distinct personality, sure, but the game doesn’t delve much into their individual stories, and they aren’t shown interacting with anyone else besides Hinako. Apart from Hinako, Yuzu, and Lime, every other supporting character feels very isolated.
  • “Dating” Mechanic: Hinako can spend her time with her friends at and after school, but it’s less “dating,” and more “hanging out.” Not really picking up any yuri vibes from these events, sorry to say.
  • Magical Girls Theme: Honestly… Bright pink, short tutus, sparkly magical beams, and constant Discord Light Mode™ aren’t my kinda thing but that’s just personal preferences speaking. The party’s Reflector outfits and movesets are very idol-like and (for lack of a better word) girly. All the more enjoyment for those that like this sorta aesthetic, I suppose?
  • Unconventional Leveling: Monsters only drop items, not experience points. Rather, characters level up by forming stronger bonds with their friends. Makes sense in the game’s context; Reflectors derive power from emotions, so stronger emotional ties with other people will strengthen their combat abilities. In terms of gameplay, though, this means players don’t have much incentive to engage in battle unless they need crafting materials. A boon for players that are drawn towards the game’s story and dislike grinding levels. Somewhat tedious for completionists that want to upgrade everything.
  • Turn-Based Combat: Classic JRPG combat menus and strong / weak type matchups, with a timing element thrown into the mix. Fairly simple to grasp. Outside of scripted boss events, battles usually don’t last long enough to utilize the more complicated mechanics. Difficulty rating is extremely easy.
  • Exploration: In-game world isn’t too expansive, mostly limited to the school and the Common (i.e. mob dungeons). The Common is split into four main Zones with thematic designs. Maps are small and finite, item spawn points are fixed, and mobs patrol a mostly fixed path. Many of the mob designs tend to be recolors of previously encountered mobs.

Character Impressions
Fair reminder that these girls are still in high school, and there’s an in-game reason that explains their unusually frequent and unusually potent emotional outbursts.

• Hinako: At first glance, Hinako comes across as the calm, mature, levelheaded type, but stressful moments can really bring out her emotive side. Even though she is the protagonist, she’s far from being perfectly likeable and perfectly sympathetic – which I mean in a good way, because it makes her an authentic, believeable personality. Her struggle to understand others makes the bonds she shares with her friends all the more meaningful.
  • Sarasa: The self-assured tsundere type. Looks up to Hinako a great deal for her ballet accomplishments, and one of Hinako’s dearest and most devoted friends in the end, I think. The lengths that she goes to for her idol brought literal tears to my eyes. I’d hesitate to call their relationship yuri-yuri, because it seems less like attraction or more like admiration.
  • Kei: Excessively friendly, very overbearing, tactless. Easily the most aggravating personality I’ve encountered in this game any game I’ve played, ever. I wouldn’t go as far to say I “hate” her (she doesn’t do anything out of malice), but I’d definitely like to put ten miles of distance between us. Impressed by Tokui Sora’s voice for Kei, though; she sounds very different from Sora’s other voices (namely Nico, lol).
  • Shihori: Obsessed with beauty, but not particularly narcissistic. Sweet on Hinako, a little bit on the comically perverted side. Oddly enough, I like her character quite a bit? Provides comedic relief.
  • Yuri: The intellectual genius with a stunted understanding of emotions and social interactions. Voiced by Sakura Ayane (Ayaneru), one of my long-time favorite VAs. Yuri’s apathetic speech pattern diverges from Ayaneru’s other roles (usually genki or rougher / tomboy types), but – in my very biased opinion – Yuri’s voice was absolutely spot-on.

There are more main and supporting characters in the game, but most of them haven’t left much of an impression on me.

Closing Comments
In a vacuum (i.e. not counting Second Light), BLUE REFLECTION would be a mediocre game by my standards.

Everything has that slightly outdated, nostalgic PS2 vibe – cutscenes, models, animations, combat, gameplay. Some elements piqued my interest, like the choice of voice actresses (AYANERU!), the OST, and some personalities (Lime, Sarasa, Yuri), but I’m having a difficult time thinking of something that was definitively enjoyable about the game. Most things were simply… mediocre. Storyline, combat, exploration, dating, dialogue, to name a few. Not excellent, but also not terribly bad or terribly clichéd.

I’d suggest picking up BLUE REFLECTION only for the irreplaceable sentimentality that’ll hit once players dive into BLUE REFLECTION: Second Light. As a standalone game, though, I wouldn’t recommend it.

BLUE REFLECTION: Second Light
Tags: Turn-Based JRPG, Yuri, Beautiful Soundtrack, Slice of Life, Isekai

Brief Summary
Ordinary is all Hoshizaki Ao has ever been. An ordinary schoolgirl, living her ordinary life, in an ordinary town. It’s the start of another ordinary summer day.

Suddenly–

What is this mysterious place that’s surrounded by an ocean?
Where do those train tracks lead?
Who are all these other girls?
Why can’t any of them besides Ao recall any memories?

Ao is transported to another… world? Environments blend the line of familiar and surreal. Ordinarily impossible things happen easily, almost whimsically. Even the girls are imbued with inexplicable magical abilities.

With a bit of natural curosity, mixed with some serendipity, perhaps Ao and her friends might be able to piece together their fragmented memories and find their purpose in this place.

It’s going to be a very long summer.

General Impressions

• Lore / Storyline: Greatly expands on the lore established in the first game – coherently, too. Some fantastical elements aren’t given an explanation. Then again (reusing the same excuse), the characters are just schoolgirls; they aren’t omniscient entities, so IDK if we should expect them to know everything.
    • Mature, sensitive topics are treated in a serious matter, and always resolved in a wholesome way.
    • Translation team did an excellent job. Haven’t spotted any awkward / overly stoic phrasing, and I’d be convinced if someone told me the story was originally written in EN. Although, translations aren’t 100% accurate, and I’ve spotted several careless typos. I’m guessing the team prioritized fluency / believable responses over accuracy / preserving meaning.
    • Game does a phenomenal job getting the player emotionally invested in the characters and story. There’s more than one tearjerking moment, and that flood of feelings as the game draws to a close? I KEEP THINKING IT CAN’T GET ANY BETTER BUT SOMEHOW IT ALWAYS GETS BETTER?!
  • Character Design: Every main character – contrasting with typical JRPGs – appears surprisingly ordinary. Plain hair and eye colors, normal physique, typical school uniforms. Reiterates the “ordinary” theme of the game, definitely makes each character and their respective stories very relatable.
    • Battle Outfits: Battling in school outfits feels way better than idol outfits, IMO. Particularly fond of Shiho’s, Ao’s, Kokoro’s, and Rena’s transformed outfits, which use elements from their respective school uniforms and blends them in the transformed outfits.
  • Character Interaction: Characters interact with and share little moments with Ao, as well as each other. I love these little moments. The group actually feels like a group that trusts and cares for one other’s wellbeing, rather than a bunch of followers simply surrounding the protagonist.
  • Soundtrack: Absolutely stellar OST. Gives me a lil’ bit of Persona vibes. Boss battle BGMs are boppin’, and somber tones really pull at the heartstrings. Personal favorites:

Combat & Exploration Impressions
Combat. Is. INTENSELY. Fun. Still the classic JRPG, party-based combat menu, but also throws in one-on-one battles in the mix. Difficulty is still on the extremely easy side.

• Party: Active combat is handled by three characters (Reflectors), but party members can be switched. New to Second Light, an extra Reflector can act in a support role, and non-combatant party members offer helpful passive effects.
  • Ether System: Very revised from the previous game. Getting the hang of its timing and its “Gears” is a bit intimidating at first, but it’s actually incredibly simple to learn, and I much prefer this compared to the previous system.
  • Animations: Transformations are striking, special effects are flashy, acrobatics are over-the-top. Sooo satisfying to execute and watch.
  • Monsters: Many monsters make a return from the previous game, but there’s significantly more new ones. Learning enemy movesets, strengths, and weaknesses makes battles feel like a new experience, even against old monsters.
  • Stealth Missions: Completely new mini-game introduced in Second Light. Surprisingly not as annoying or tedious as it could’ve been, thanks to the visible cones of monster aggro in Stealth Mode.
  • Exploration / “Heartscapes”: In-game world feels significantly larger and more varied compared to the first game’s Common and Zones. Mob dungeons now take the form of “Heartscapes,” each of which have their own theme.
    • Rena’s Heartscape and Yuki’s Heartscape are my definite favorites. Aesthetics, OST, and story.

Gameplay Improvements

• Graphical Overhaul: Everything visual has been completely refreshed and looks significantly better compared to the first game – UI, transitions, scenery, animations. Models move more fluidly and naturally, facial expressions and body language are more expressive. Especially incredible is the direction with the cutscenes. Definitely adds to the immersion and experience.
  • More Intuitive Controls (Keyboard + Mouse): The previous title’s controls definitely gave the impression the game was designed solely around console players. Thankfully, Second Light’s translated its controls to more keyboard-friendly keymaps in its PC release.
  • Anti-Frustration Measures: Previously absent from the first game; sprinting, cutscene skipping, and minimaps now exist and are such a welcome boon.
  • Minimap: Items, enemies, and inaccesible areas are marked on the minimap, which streamlines the exploration process and helps immensely with making the game less tedious and more fun.
  • Crafting System: Built on the first game’s simple system of “find materials, make / upgrade things.” Party members are now involved in crafting, and different combinations of people provide different perk effects. Item grinding is still a bit of a chore, but the overhauled crafting system with helpful perks and endearing cutscenes alleviates some of the tedium.
  • School Development Mini-Quest: Most facilities have active effects that help in combat, enrich the school area, or are date spots, so there’s an incentive to build them. As even more incentive, certain facilities paired with each other have additional, more effective buffs.

Character Impressions
Yuki, Rena, and Shiho are my favorites by far. Ao is an easy-to-like protagonist.
(Warning: Unhidden Spoilers.)

• Ao: “Ordinary” in terms of general abilities, but has a peppy, positive mindset and is a decently proactive leader. Not always the idea-person, but does well motivating and rallying people. Her confidence really matures towards the end of the game. Constantly sees the best in her friends, and is empathetic to people’s feelings and worries. Knows when to depend on others, and when others need her support.
  • Rena: Rational and honest with her opinions, but easily embarrassed by sentimentality (even if she does appreciate it). A little bit of a tsun. Her deadpan stares are sooo good. Attitude changes remarkably after Chapter 8, taking a more positive swing – atta girl – for obvious reasons.
    • She’s sweet for Yuki and has great chemistry with her. Often acts as the tsukkomi to Yuki’s boke. I love me my yuri characters. <3
  • Yuki: Prankster with a heart of gold, tapping that incredible lil’ kusogaki energy. Can be surprisingly mature in serious situations, especially in regards to her fraility, and is very proactive with ideas.
    • I ascend every time I hear her “Chotto!
    • Her little grin is the moooooooooost precious thing. My heart skips a beat every time.
    • Reminds me a LOT of Gura: has that tomboy-ish voice, incredible voice control / expression (kudos to the seiyuu!), is smol, has that wholesome prankster energy, and is very fond of music. There’s also a bit of Ame in her wonderful little grin.
    • YukiRena are so damn cute together. My HEART. Like a classic couple, little bits of the other’s personality seeps into their own over time. Rena smiles a lot more, and sometimes teases Yuki and Ao. Yuki makes a concerted effort to be more honest with her feelings, and her reactions might come across a bit tsun?
    • Actually, infinitely glad that Yuki reciprocated Rena’s feelings. I’m so flipping tired of one-sided pining, or yuri characters being sidelined, or yuri that end in tragedy.
  • Shiho: Like Ao, is fairly “ordinary” in terms of general abilities, but has a calmer, kind demeanor. Extremely amicable and supportive of her friends, and lays a firm but gentle hand with any issues. Likes to cook and clean.
    • Five minutes after meeting Shiho, I’ve already determined she IS one of my favorites. Personality, voice, modest school outfit, transformation outfit, katana-like weapon, Japanese-inspired moveset themes and animations. Actual beauty. Actual grace. I love her aesthetic. My eyes light up every time she transforms.
    • Profile says she’s “ordinary,” but she’s actually great to use in battle.
  • Hinako: The same calm, poised, and levelheaded character from the previous game. With her significant Reflector experience, and her direct influence on the world’s current turn of events, Hinako takes on senpai energy and becomes a reliable voice of reason to Ao.
    • Intense sentimental feelings from her Heartscape and her interactions with Yuzu and Lime, as well as other minor references here and there.

There are more main and supporting characters in the game. Unique personalities, all, and I like them well enough; it’s just that Ao, Rena, Yuki, Shiho, and Hinako left a larger impression on me.

Ending Impressions

Warning: Potential Spoilers

Creating a New Game + (NG+) Save

…“Hope for a Reunion.”

AWWW SHIT, THEY GOT ME. THEY GOT ME BY THE FIGURATIVE B@LLS. I’M PLAYING THROUGH THE GAME AGAIN.

That was me, six days ago.
I have now finished my second playthrough of the game. :joy:
Steam says I have currently invested almost 120 hrs into Second Light.
…According to the Interwebs, the game should only take 40-ish hrs to finish.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with me. I am fine.

Gripes?

1. Give me a sequel to this game. With an extra helping of yuri, please and thank you.
  2. I’d have loved to have a way to revisit / rewatch previous cutscenes.

Closing Comments
I can’t remember the last time I was this impressed by my first playthrough of a game, but BLUE REFLECTION: Second Light has done an exceptional job hitting a lot of my preferences right on the bullseye.

It’s games like Second Light that shine a little more light into my life – it gives me hope. Games (and other media) that treat yuri, or simply women liking other women, in a completely ordinary light, with a serious and mature attitude, and – most importantly – in a heartwarming, wholesome, reciprocated relationship.

Knocks the first game right out of the park, too. It’s a brilliant, beautiful overhaul of the first BLUE REFLECTION. There’s enough structure for the game to feel familiar to veterans. Evolving from the previous title, though, the sequel manages to refresh the previous game’s graphics and combat system, to seamlessly and coherently expand on established lore, and to introduce fresh content and new, loveable characters without being too controversial.

Absolute winner of a game. Definite addition to my favorites list.

Damn game (with all the DLCs) costs a pretty penny, though. さすが KOEI TECMO, lol.

Repeat: Anyone that’s into yuri needs to play this game.
Good LORD, but cute girls are so dangerous for my heart. :joy:

WHERE’S ALL THE YUKIRENA FANART?! I FLIPPIN’ CAN’T FIND ANY FROM MY USUAL SOURCES?!

6 Likes

I need more of this. This is my jam and my guilty pleasure. I’ve spent many a self conscious minute trying to find more games in this vein, if you know of more I will happily devour more of these recommendations.

2 Likes

:eyes: :eyes: :eyes:
D’you mean JRPGs or games with yuri?

JRPGs similar to BLUE REFLECTION: Second Light
Similar in concept, but still very different in gameplay and plotlines.

Games w/Yuri
Yuri is mostly subtext and / or between side characters, unless stated otherwise. Dating simulators and pick-your-own-romances (e.g. Mass Effect) have been excluded from this list.

• HEARTBEAT!: LGBTQIA+ Friendly, Wholesome, Adventure, Turn-Based RPG, Boppin’ Soundtrack, Pixel Graphics, Female Protagonist, Anthropomorphic Characters
  • VA-11 Hall-A: Cyberpunk Bartender Action: Cyberpunk Dystopia, Slice of Life, Multiple Endings, Great Soundtrack, Pixel Graphics, Female Protagonist, Anthropomorphic Characters
  • Hella Yuri (Steam Curator): Where I check for yuri releases on Steam. They prioritize yuri content over game quality; some "Recommended"s can be garbage, while other "Informational"s can be stellar games.

I also know a number of yuri visual novels, but those aren’t game-games per se. Below are ones that I liked and / or found meaningful:

3 Likes

Yes to both honestly. From what I’ve found JRPGs often have some of the most robust stories told in games. As for Yuri, well I’m not really sure why I have a special place in my heart for this but I do. An old friend and former coworker of mine who is gay was a major positive influence in my life and maybe that soft spot stems from her? In any case I’ve always been a sucker for cute well told romances.

I haven’t previously heard of most of the games on these lists! I’m really looking forward to diving into some of these thank you so much for the recommendations.

VNs might not totally be “game games” but they fulfill a similar space to games in my entertainment. As such, I very much appreciate the list. Most of the VNs I’ve consumed have been made by small time indie devs or just by random renpy community members. Having some professional VNs to go through will be a really nice treat.

2 Likes

Oh ho ho ho ho~ :blobooo:

I’ll also throw in Dynasty Reader, if you’re wanting for yuri content. It’s a treasure trove of translated yuri doujinshi and yuri art (originals and fan-made content).

• New doujinshi chapters are uploaded almost every day, while new art seems to be uploaded on a weekly basis.
  • Do note that some content can be very sexually-explicit / NSFW or controversial (NTR, Futanari, Incest), but those will always be tagged appropriately.
  • If you happen across a “We’re sorry, but something went wrong.” page, I’d suggest refreshing the page until it works. Dynasty Reader runs smoothly usually, and I think the site breaks when it’s going through maintenance.
Recommendations (Original Doujinshi)

(Spoiler’d to avoid clogging up a gaming-related thread.)

Sorry if it’s too much content, I’m, er, excited? :rofl:
I usually keep yuri to myself, since no one else seems to show much interest in it.

3 Likes

I’m going to go ahead and say goodbye to my free time for the foreseeable future because my goodness this is a lot of high quality content I want to work through.

I feel this. I’m already a kinda shy awkward person and it isn’t like I’m going to lead a conversation with the fact that I get the warm fuzzies in my heart when I see happy lesbians. I have neither the intelligence nor the charisma to not make that sound weird.

It’s hard to find others who also enjoy it or would even be able to talk about it. Most people associate yuri exclusively with the nsfw side of it when really there are a lot more layers available if that isn’t your thing.

I guess here lies the beauty of the internet. I can find anonymous internet friends to point me in the direction of awesome content that I didn’t know about. Thank you for all the links this is amazing, I am so excited to have more content.

2 Likes

Oh my, I just noticed the drop down at the bottom. I didn’t see this before

2 Likes

@Eschew

I’m probably going to buy Blue Reflection: Second Light today and I was wondering if in your opinion the deluxe edition is worth it for an extra $10.

I can get the base game for $37 or I can get the DE for about $47

I’d get the ultimate edition just for kicks of it wasn’t over $130

2 Likes

Ooof hmm…
IIRC:

Content Digital Deluxe Edition Season Pass Ultimate Edition
BLUE REFLECTION: Second Light Base Game :green_circle: :x: :green_circle:
:arrow_up_small: Additional School Development Facilities
3 School Development Facilities
1 Extra Dating Spot per Character
1 Extra Cutscene
:x: :green_circle: :green_circle:
:arrow_up_small: Additional Maps
Atelier Ryza Collab Dungeon
Hidden Southern Island
“Extreme School Makeover” Facilities
2 School Development Facilities
:green_circle: :x: :green_circle:
Alternate Costumes
Alternate Color School Uniforms
Swimsuits
Alternate Costumes
Hoshinomiya School Uniforms
Beachside Puppies
Hospitable Kitties
Jump Start Fragment Set
3 Extra Fragments
Ether Synthesis
Deconstructing Items for Crafting Materials
Bulletin Board
Photo Frame for Screenshots?
  • Content marked with :arrow_up_small: are ones that I’d say add more er, meaningful, interactable content to the game. New maps or dungeons, new dialogue, new cutscenes, etc.
    • DLC content will not have full voice-acting – only voice clips.
    • DLC content will have no effect on the main storyline.
    • Atelier Ryza Collab Dungeon may add 2 - 4 hours of extra gameplay.
    • Hidden Southern Island may add 1 - 3 hours of extra gameplay.
      • Possibly more, depending on how much time is spent in the Boss Gauntlet.
  • Costume DLCs are nice to have, but seem to be geared more for fanservice and they don’t have a significant impact on gameplay (IMO).
  • “Extreme School Makeover” Facilities and Jump Start Fragment Set will offer passive boosts that make early game combat easier, but the game’s honestly easy enough as it is and they are very inessential once more facilities and fragments are obtained.
  • Ether Synthesis and Bulletin Board, I don’t think I ever used in my playthroughts.

If you want the best bang for your buck, I’d actually suggest just getting:

Or:

Whichever is cheaper. :eyes:

If you’re only choosing between Base Game or Digital Deluxe, though, I’d saaaaaaaaaay just get the Base Game.

2 Likes

Sweet, thank you for the advice. I’ll see which option will make the most sense when I get home in a little bit. I’m super excited to play, I watched some review videos and it looks hilarious and amazing.

I’m also planning on picking up Atelier next after I finish this game. The crafting system looks really cool I’m looking forward to trying that out.

Also if you don’t already write reviews in a more public setting you should. The amount of detail you provide even for small questions like this one, and the format you present it in are 10/10

2 Likes

Exactly this. I debating asking her to turn them into A.S.S. articles, but I know that’s time consuming.

4 Likes

I’d subscribe to that, that would be great. If the two of you work together you could really make a great review duo with your combined interests.

Honestly you could totally get sponsor kickbacks too. I don’t want to think about how much money I’ve spent under the Deninfulence and now I’m buying games at the recommendation of Eschew.

You two are going to ruin me.

2 Likes

Speaking of reviews, I’ll be posting an Elden Ring review at some point in the next few days. The purpose of this post now is to bully future me into actually doing it.

2 Likes

4 Likes

Screenshot_20200908-114052_Facebook

@Den

4 Likes

@Eschew

You have to tell me I need to know,

Are Ao and Hinako fated to be or does Ao remain the instigator for everyone else? I love how she seems to be helping everyone connect but there seems to be some pretty great chemistry between Ao and Hinako too

2 Likes

:eyes: :eyes: :eyes:

My interpretation?

I don’t think Ao and Hinako are a thing. Not saying I’m against it – but Ao and Hinako haven’t shown any explicit romantic interest in one another, from my point of view. Hinako seems to show more emotional attachment to Yuzu and Lime, while Ao seems to treat and respect Hinako just as equally as she treats everyone else.

Hinako and Ao definitely have senpai-kouhai energy going on, tho. Any time that Ao doubts herself as a team leader, or any time the team’s morale drops, Hinako is one of the few that steps up as a dependable, reliable voice of reason.

If you wanna ship them, tho, absolutely feel free to.

2 Likes

Ooohoho I intend to

For some context I just finished making my way through Hinako’s heartscape and beat the bosses tied to that. So we know of Yuzu and Lime but they haven’t joined the fold yet.

As for Ao and Hinako, now that you mention it what I’ve been seeing is mostly one sided coming from Ao.

Using cutscenes as a reference, every interaction so far with Ao and other girls has been So getting to know them better and appreciate little quirks they each have. Where I am in the game though, every interaction with Ao and Hinako has been Ao going ham on her admiration and even borderline jealousy of Hinako.

After Ao shows Hinako around the school, the first one on one cutscene they have is at the hot air balloon where Ao goes on about how beautiful Hinako is to the point of convincing Hinako to let her take a picture. Then after Ao takes the picture, she goes on about how it is the most important picture she has ever taken in her life.

Throughout Hinako’s heartscape Ao considers what it is that makes Hinako so special and amazing. This definitely plays into Ao’s need to be someone special, but I think it’s sweet that out of the five girls (so far) besides herself, Ao zeros in on Hinako and how beautiful and special she is.

Where cutscenes with other girls have varied topics and content, every Ao/Hinako cutscene has been about how much Ao admires and wants to be like Hinako. I mean when you build the vending machine and have your cutscene about how Hinako likes to snack but watches her figure because of ballet, the Fragment you unlock for this is called Genuine Allure.

All of this could simply be Ao’s platonic admiration for Hinako but this is also the same Ao who was admiring Hinako’s legs when they were at the pool shower.

I guess in conclusion, Ao may have locked herself in the closet but she is definitely checking out Hinako at every opportunity she gets.

Thank you for coming to my Ted Talk.

2 Likes

Public Service Announcement
FLOWERS -Le volume sur hiver- is now available on Steam.

[Cocks megaphone.]
:mega: I repeat. :mega:

The entire FLOWERS visual novel collection – printemps, ete, automne, hiver – has been translated into English and is now available on Steam.

FLOWERS
Tags: Yuri, Beautiful Soundtrack, Slice of Life, Drama, Mystery, Romance, Boarding School Life (All-Girls, Religious), Ecchi (Bathroom Scenes, Underwear), Linear Storyline, Multiple Non-Canon Endings, Visual Novel

:warning: Warning :warning:: For those that would like to remain unspoilered, definitely avoid reading the “About This Game” sections of the sequels on Steam – particularly hiver’s. I would also caution against watching the opening themes below, which feature in-game CGs, though I highly recommend listening to them. The OST is one of my favorites.

「FLOWERS」 FLOWERS -Le volume sur printemps- Opening Theme
Vocals: 霜月はるか
Chorus: 鈴湯

「夏空の光」 FLOWERS -Le volume sur ete- Opening Theme
Vocals: 鈴湯
Chorus: 霜月はるか

「虹の魔法」 FLOWERS -Le volume sur automne- Opening Theme

「Fairy Wreath」 FLOWERS -Le volume sur hiver- Opening Theme

Brief Summary
Each season brings with it new beginnings and subtle changes.

FLOWERS follows the growth of several girls that attend the Saint Angraecum Academy, an all-girls’ high school dedicated to Saint Maria.

In Spring, Suoh, ever-quiet and ever-reserved, tries to familiarize herself with a new school environment, as well as with her Amitiė partners, Mayuri and Rikka. Amidst the normal school days and not-so normal school mysteries, she soon finds herself harboring feelings for a certain someone…

In Summer, tensions heat up as Erika finds her comfort zone and boundaries breached by the new transfer student, Chidori. One casual, tactful, and introverted, and the other diligent, oblivious, and bluntly vocal. They’re stuck with each other for the remainder of the term, and the end can’t come soon enough – or, so they think…

In Autumn, Yuzuriha quietly realizes she holds feelings for her childhood friend, Nerine. Beneath her cool and charming front, she’s gripped by uncertainty – a fear of breaking the status quo. All the while, unbeknownst to Yuzuriha, her own popularity begets its own set of burdens…

In Winter, various mysteries surrounding the school’s odd occurrences begin to crack and thaw. With each clue found, with every thread unravelled, Suoh and her friends inch ever closer to a truth that tests their resolves and their bonds.

General Impressions

• Continuous Storyline: FLOWERS is more of a story than a game – each sequel is a direct continuation from the previous. I would strongly caution against standalone purchases and standalone playthroughs of the later games (i.e. ete, automne, hiver); to do so would be like to start reading a book from some random chapter.
  • Plot Progression: An overarching mystery persists through the entire four games, and the normal goings-on of school life are occassionally broken up by strange happenings that each protagonist has to figure out. Major plot developments are anything but clichéd. I’m loathe to reveal anything more substantial.
  • Protagonists and Main Cast: The first three games each feature a different protagonist, but fear not, players will have time to familiarize themselves with the main cast in the first game. Also, every main character reappears and / or still plays a significant role in every following game.
  • Character Development: One of the strongest highlights of the series, beautifully crafted and beautifully delivered. Compare each main character’s initial appearance to their personality by the final game, and every one of them sees some form of growth. Sure, the characters have static in-game sprites, but their personalities are undoubtably dynamic and feel real. A direct thematic reference too, to flowers that grow, bloom, and mature with the seasons.
  • Religious Themes: References to Saint Maria are common, but loose, and the game’s cast includes characters of different faiths (e.g. atheism, Buddhism, etc.). To emphasize – faith is a theme, but it is not a central or a divisive topic. The bottom line is, regardless of faith, everyone is accepted at the Saint Angraecum Academy, though individuals may struggle with their own introspective doubts as they question and explore their personal faiths.
    • Note: While religious references and urban legends are present, plot progression remains very secular. Nothing is magic, nothing is fantastical, and nothing is supernatural.
  • Cultural References: Certain niches, or those simply fond of Wikipedia articles (), might appreciate the familiarity with and attention paid to various obscure cultural references. Even unfamiliar folks might learn a new thing or two.
    • Notable Western Literature: Wuthering Heights, Grimms’ Fairy Tales, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz, etc.
    • Supernatural / Urban Legends: Bloody Mary, The Hookman, Black Dahlia, Wendigo, Doppelganger, etc.
      • Note: Horror is not a theme. Eerie references are made, but nothing is overtly horrific.
    • Ballet: General Choreography, Tchaikovsky’s The Sleeping Beauty.
  • Obscure Multiple Choice Solutions: Following classic visual novel “gameplay,” players are able to select between multiple choices to progress through the game and reach one of multiple endings. Without a guide or contextual knowledge (e.g. literature), though, “correct” / canonical answers are incredibly obscure.
    • Note: While the answers are obscure, they are fixed, so save scumming is always an option and it eliminates any meaningful sense of difficulty.
    • Linear Storyline: Regardless of the player’s choices or the ending obtained, every sequel continues from the previous game’s True Ending – a single, linear, canonical storyline is in place.
  • Soundtrack: All music associated with the FLOWERS series is absolute bliss to listen to, especially for those that adore acoustic / piano tracks. BGMs blend in beautifully with the game’s mood and CGs, and OP / ED themes feature bright vocals in wonderful harmony. Personal favorites:

Character Impressions
Each character’s name is associated with a flower / flowering plant.
(Warning: Unhidden Spoilers.)

• Shirahane Suoh (白羽 蘇芳): The main main protagonist. Out of the entire cast, Suoh remains the most kindhearted, the most sympathetic, and the most altruistic. Also, is one of the more intelligent and perceptive characters. Throughout the series, she experiences the most substantial personality development, IMO, from extremely shy, sensitive, and slightly depressed to warm, composed, and driven. By the time hiver rolls around, most of the plot developments that have been set in motion are due to her motivations – intentional or not.
  • Kohsaka Mayuri (匂坂 マユリ): Deuteragonist in the first game, printemps. Delegated to side character in the following games due to in-game events, but her influence is still a critical – arguably the most important – plot point. Through a narrative seen through Suoh’s eyes, she’s portrayed as bold, confident, and lively, but also very hesitant to openly confide in others.
  • Hanabishi Rikka (花菱 立花): Deuteragonist in the first game, printemps. After a certain turn of events occur, Rikka resolves to become Suoh’s most steadfast friend as a form of repentance. One of the more bubbly and socially-adept characters, with a bit of a conniving side. Puts in an earnest effort to become more trustworthy in the later games.
    • Flower: ハナビシソウ / Golden Poppy
    • Bias: [Sharp intake.] Three games and four years later, I still have never forgiven her for that stunt she pulled in printemps. Suoh is a genuine saint and an infinitely much better person that I in this regard.
  • Yaegaki Erika: Protagonist of the second game, ete. Of the main cast, Erika is probably the most quick-witted, perceptive, and tactful. Aloof to strangers, but extremely devoted to her friends. Tends avoid the spotlight, showing her affection in roundabout, indirect ways or directing projects and plans from the sidelines. Very close comrades with Suoh due to shared hobbies; the two are often on the same wavelength. Off-screen events have rendered her paraplegic, which lends her a very distinct presence at school (wheelchair) and burdens her with the need to rely on others for basic care – much to her chagrin.
    • Flower: エリカ / Erica
    • Bias: Erika is one of my favorite characters from any series, period. I love her twisted sense of humor, her obscure cultural references, her other odd peculiarities. On D&D’s alignment chart, I’d say she’s got Chaotic Good / Chaotic Neutral tendencies. In a prim-and-proper all-girls academy that upholds a certain ideal of purity, Erika’s blunt candor and fearless pragmatism is a refreshing break from all the tip-toeing and proper decorum. The series would not be the same without her.
    • Voice Actress: 佐倉 綾音 / Sakura Ayane. FLOWERS and Erika was the first time I’d encountered Ayaneru’s voice and expressive ability, and I’ve been captivated ever since. I only have two VAs that I list among my favorites – Ayaneru is one of them.
  • Takasaki Chidori (考崎 千鳥): Deuteragonist of the second game, ete. An extremely competent ballerina, but struggles with her academic studies. Erika’s first impression of Chidori depicts her as willful and determined, but socially-oblivious, painfully blunt, and honest to a fault. After spending time with and learning from Erika and the others, Chidori adopts a significantly more cheerful and amicable attitude in the later games.
    • Flower: 紅千鳥 / Plum Blossom
    • Bias: My second favorite character in the FLOWERS series. Her personality dramatically improves by automne and hiver, and it’s wonderfully heartwarming to watch.
    • Voice Actress: 洲崎 綾 / Suzaki Aya. FLOWERS and Chidori was not the first time I’ve been exposed to Ayappe’s works (Kaede from Assassination Classroom, Tamako from Tamako Market), but it was definitely the most eye-opening. Her vocals in Chaleur (Chidori Solo) blew me away. The second VA that I list among my favorites – Ayappe.
  • Yatsushiro Yuzuriha (八代 譲葉): Protagonist of the third game, automne. President of the school’s student council and childhood friends with Nerine. Yuzuriha’s widely seen as the Prince Charming to Nerine’s Sleeping Beauty, and is ever-popular with her peers and her kouhai. Surprisingly shrewd when the situation calls for it. Keeps a lot of reservations to herself, though – her feelings for Nerine, her desire to be more feminine – and tends to put on a confident front to suppress any uncertainties.
    • Flower: ユズリハ / Daphniphyllum macropodum
    • Voice Discrepancy: Yuzuriha’s voice in hiver is noticeably different compared to her previous voices in printemps, ete, and automne. My Japanese Google-fu isn’t adept enough to find out the reason why, or whether the voice change was intentional, but I don’t think they changed voice actresses for Yuzuriha’s role.
    • Bias: One of my favorite characters… Up until a certain confrontation in hiver.
  • Komikado Nerine (小御門 ネリネ): Deuteragonist of the third game, automne. Vice-president of the school’s student council, president of the choir club, and childhood friends with Yuzuriha. Gentle-mannered, respectful, and pious – the very picture of Saint Angraecum Academy’s ideals.
  • Sasaki Ichigo (沙沙貴 苺): Deuteragonist of the third game, automne. The older sister of the Sasaki twins. Classic genki character – peppy and upbeat; loves fun, pranks, and urban legends; a little bit of a dork. Seems like the type that forgives (or simply forgets) easily. Has a bright and infectuous energy that influences Erika, Chidori, and Yuzuriha.
  • Sasaki Ringo (沙沙貴 林檎): Deuteragonist of the third game, automne. The younger sister of the Sasaki twins. More quiet, reserved, and thoughtful compared to Ichigo, but equally fond of fun and urban legends. Decently intelligent and perceptive, but seems to direct that energy towards clever pranks. Adores her older sister.
  • Dalia Basquiat (ダリア バスキア): One of the nuns at the Saint Angraecum Academy, and the head teacher for Suoh’s class. Polite, proper, and pious. Wields a gentle but firm hand, and treats all her students with equal respect.
    • Flower: ダリア / Dahlia
    • Bias: Started off as a decently likeable teacher, but as the series continued, my personal opinion of her deteriorated – exponentially so in hiver.

Closing Comments
FLOWERS is a series I hold intense emotional attachment to. It’s more of a novel than a game, but it is – in my biased opinion – beautifully well-written, planned, and composed. The story is rich with details and hidden developments, each personality is uniquely vibrant and full of life, the music evokes everything from heartfelt happiness to bittersweet pangs.

If yuri is your cup of tea, and if you’re down for an emotionally-rousing series, then I’d highly recommend giving FLOWERS a shot.

Steam Links

Other Comments
I have been waiting for this moment for literal years. IIRC, I first came across FLOWERS in my junior or senior year of uni. At the time, only the first two VNs had been officially translated and released in English – printemps in 2016, and ete in 2018.

Key word is “officially,” because there are “unofficial” translations of the FLOWERS series out there.

Two years later, automne appeared on Steam in 2020. And as fortune would have it, hiver was released on Steam just last week, on June 18, 2022.

Gone are the days I had to use Google Translate on my phone to navigate through the Japanese version of the game. :smiling_face_with_tear:

FLOWERS counts among my favorite yuri / VN series, ever. I haven’t touched it in a while, but as soon as I see a worthy discount bundle for all four games, you bet’cha I’m hurling my damn wallet at it.

Off-Screen
['Chew excitedly uttering unintelligible jibberish while listening to the songs and writing thoughts down.]

虹の魔法 is my strong favorite out of the four opening themes, followed by 夏空の光 (二重唱) (duet version by Erika and Chidori). The duet version in particular pulls on my heartstrings, particularly because it’s Erika and Chidori’s voices – they weave in-and-out and compliment / contrast with each other in a way that calls to mind the events of ete.

I did not realize how many words there were here until I stepped away for 5 mins to do laundry.

Also, how do I talk about a novel’s story without actually reciting the entire plot of the story.

2 Likes

I have a bone to pick with Blue Reflection Second Light

Overall great game! Gives you the warm fuzzies the whole time, that or emotional heartache. It is a really great emotional journey and the gameplay is a lot of fun.

What I don’t like is that because you can get school upgrades in almost any order, and you can get new characters at different times , sometimes the cutscenes don’t make any sense.

Most of the time you get to gradually enjoy seeing everyone becoming friends and you get to watch them grow as people and grow as friends. I just had a moment where I got a new character and the first cutscene I had with them was them and another character professing their love for one another. Like what?! I didn’t get to see the relationship develop before that moment? I feel like now I’m going to be cursed to watch their relationship develop in reverse and I feel like I’ve been robbed.

Anyway just needed to vent a little. I am looking forward to seeing these two characters more, I just wish I could have seen the events in a proper order.

2 Likes